Ever shoot a thief on your private property?

ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
The law is fairly clear cut on this, right? Can I let the bullets fly without fear of legal repercussion?

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Not true. Depends on - at least: 1) Your state's laws and 2) If the perpetrator has a gun himself

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    THEY COMIN FOR YOUR RAERS, DOGG

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    THEY COMIN FOR YOUR RAERS, DOGG

If you stand on your records when you shoot the dude, you can always say you were protecting your happiness and well-being.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Rey, I've been thinking about this, too. Can you recommend a good firearm for home defence?

I don't know about you, but I'm eager to etch my first notch. Commie, home invader, lizard man, ken eng, dragons with guns, drunken students--it doesn't matter; I just want to shoot at people!

I just want to shoot at people!

Tired of just shooting at taxidermied animals?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Can you recommend a good firearm for home defence?
    Any gun that smokes a lot after you shoot it is a good look. That's really the most important thing.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    i heard a story from a friend from Detroit where his boss shot a thief in his place of business and would have gotten away scot free if he didn't fire secondary shots.
    from how he described it was that once the intruder is neutralized by a gunshot and is deemed harmless, that is your 'free pass', if you will. but his boss had to finish him off with blind rage, so that is what earned him his sentencing. dude is now locked up for life.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I happily forgot all the criminal law I learnt (and I didn't learn much) immediately after my exam (at which I did poorly), but I know that you can only shoot people robbing your house in very extreme circumstances. I think you have a reasonable fear of serious physical harm before you can pull out the guns.

Rey, what about cool looking assault rifles and stuff? What's the raer of powerful home defence systems? Can I hire a dragon with a sword to cut up and eat intruders? Can I get Ken Eng to ID the alpha male Caucasoid intruder so that he can give him the what for?

• Can you recommend a good firearm for home defence?
    Any gun that smokes a lot after you shoot it is a good look. That's really the most important thing.
    what about gold plating?

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Yes, I think this differs from state to state.
    I have heard this story a few times, it's probably an urban legend. But supposedly in Texas you can join certin gun clubs. You can pay an one-time fee after you join (basicly a raffle) and are given a special sticker to place on your home (front door what ever) If you catch an intruder and shoot them inside your home you win all the money that people had payed as their one-time fee. I think it's supposed to be used for lawyers fee's etc if you are prosecuted or as a reward.
    Is this real or some ole bullshit?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    I know that you can only shoot people robbing your house in very extreme circumstances. I think you have a reasonable fear of serious physical harm before you can pull out the guns.

THIS IS A CORRECT STATEMENT OF LAW IN MOST EVERY STATE. Whether your use of deadly force is justified depends on the definition of reasonableness in your community. This is why it seems like it differs. What's reasonable in Springfield, Illinois may not be reasonable in Springfield, Mass.

You know more than you let on Danno.
    JRoot

• It's funny how often this topic seems to come up on soulstrut. Maybe it should get its own sticky along with the Invaders OG check and the Youtube video for Apache.

Might I suggest a blunderbuss??

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Speaking abstractly (style over reality), It's all about the

If it's good enough for Ed Woodward, it's good enough for you.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I know that you can only shoot people robbing your house in very extreme circumstances. I think you have a reasonable fear of serious physical harm before you can pull out the guns.

THIS IS A CORRECT STATEMENT OF LAW IN MOST EVERY STATE. Whether your use of deadly force is justified depends on the definition of reasonableness in your community. This is why it seems like it differs. What's reasonable in Springfield, Illinois may not be reasonable in Springfield, Mass.

You know more than you let on Danno.
    JRoot

The older lady down the street from me choked an intruder to death and was lauded as a hero (as was reported on soulstrut last year). No one really questioned how much danger she was in. I'm guessing the police have some leeway in regards to whether or not charges are pressed, so maybe it's not always even a matter of what will stand up in court.

• once the intruder is neutralized by a gunshot and is deemed harmless

This is where things get fuzzy.
    I heard if you shoot someone in the back you might be up shit creek, cuz they can't hurt you if they were runnin away.

• Seriously- Buy a revolver so you don't leave your shells (evidence) all over the scene. You may be Mr. cool man with a Gloc but when they find the casing that rolled under the couch it's curtains. All you gotta do is empty the cylinders, clean your residue and dump the body. They are more reliable and nothing is cooler than swingin' out a 'Six Shooter'

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    yo, you catch somebody up in yo crib you BLAST that muthafucka and worry about the rest later, fuck a law. that's how i've always done it, hasn't caused me any problems yet

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    .38s and .45s are good - enough power to put someone down but not go through the wall and carry on into your neighbor's house which is what a .357, .44 or .50 will do.
    Revolvers are the most reliable and can be kept loaded - semi-automatics (Ruger, Glock etc) can't be kept loaded for long periods of time because the spring in the clip will lose strength. Revolvers are also very easy to clean and 99% of the time work with no problems.
    For all out effectiveness and straight-up-scare-the-felon-shitless, go for a pump action 12 gauge. The sight and sound alone will scare most people - plus at 3am when you've been woken from your sleep the last thing you want to be dealing with is precison aiming. Get a scatter cartridge and you can't miss.

Above all else, go to the gunstore or your state's website and check your home-invasion/privacy laws. Here in Florida shit is pretty relaxed, we have a home-invasion law called the Castle-Doctrine which favors heavily for the invaded.

• I own two of these poo sticks.

literally

• bloodcellbloodcell 208 Posts
    The law is fairly clear cut on this, right? Can I let the bullets fly without fear of legal repercussion?

check with an actual policeman in your area. i talked with this and even physical harm within your own house to an intruder and i was kinda told different, i was told that even if someone entered my place and i beat them silly with a weapon i can still be in trouble if they were not armed....which is fucked up.

dude will definitely get something placed in his hand

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    I own two of these poo sticks.

literally

tell me i'm your momma

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    yo, you catch somebody up in yo crib you BLAST that muthafucka and worry about the rest later, fuck a law. that's how i've always done it, hasn't caused me any problems yet

Fuck the dumb shit, if I wake up and there's a dude creeping in my house best believe I am trying to make him sleep forever.

I heard you have to use equal or lesser force and they have to be literally in your house. Something like if they have have a knife and are within "X" amount of throwing distance you can shoot them. You can't just blast some random person for walking on your lawn.

Sorry Rey.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    a shot gun is the suggested firearm for home protection
    you don't have to be a good shot to get great results
    also just the sound of the pump can and will will scare fuckers away
    rey-
    you are NOT what i would consider mature/wise/deliberate enough of a person {child/boy] to own and operate a firearm safely
    stick to a slingshot thong and some cotique throwing stars

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    I keep the Sig by the bed....

Lord forgive whoever tries to run up in my crib.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    You Americans with your guns.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

rey-
    you are NOT what i would consider mature/wise/deliberate enough of a person {child/boy] to own and operate a firearm safely
    stick to a slingshot thong and some cotique throwing stars

rey, you should probbaly have this printed on your drivers liscence

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    You Americans with your guns.

I agree, however comments like the above can lead to a... :5pager:

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Before we talk about the legal repercussions of your potential actions, I would like to know if you already asked for your parents' permission to have a gun in your room? I mean, this is not a Playstation we are talking about.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Get some pepper spray and a baseball bat if you're that worried. You don't want to be shooting people.