producers: ditching the outboard equipment?

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
I have a question...Since Computer music software has finally caught up with hardware,(according to Just Blaze. Anybody hear that interview where he said he's done with the mpc, just using computers. Battery to be exact.) I was just debating whether or not I should sell my Tc electronics finalizer and just use my waves plug ins for my novice mastering needs. What do you guys think? Make a quick 1000 bucks or hold on to that?

Comments

• Anybody hear that interview where he said he's done with the mpc, just using computers. Battery to be exact.)

Was this on redbull?

• yes it was

• why don't you try doing some work without your hardware first and see if you are satisfied with your results.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i have workeed with the finalizer in a pro audio enviornment and it is an amazing peice of gear
    the fact that you are putting the sound thru a machine as opposed to just using a plug in is the obvious difference

expensive mastering plugins are great but they rely on number crunching
    sometimes hardware is more solid with regard to being subtle and finite
    if your strapped for cash you could sell it and replace it with plug ins
    but TC is not just another gear company nor do i perceive that unit as "consumer grade"

even though it is priced as such

• why don't you try doing some work without your hardware first and see if you are satisfied with your results.

Sounds like a good plan, when I moved house a couple of years ago I sold my MPC tried to switch to using a laptop...

Ended up using the laptop only for the internet and went and bought an sp1200 instead, thinking of getting a digital multitrack though, been looking at the tascam 2488 mk II.

• i have workeed with the finalizer in a pro audio enviornment and it is an amazing peice of gear
    the fact that you are putting the sound thru a machine as opposed to just using a plug in is the obvious difference

Dude, the Finalizer is a digital unit. The software just runs on a little embedded chip instead of a laptop CPU. You can buy the same Finalizer algorithm as a Protools plugin if you want to go software-only.

• And as far as other mastering plugins go, I've been using Izotope Ozone 3 and it sounds pretty good - better than the Logic multiband compressor or Waves L2.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    yeah I like what you can do in the ozone 3. L3 sounded better then L2 to me.

sell that shit

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    sorry but you are wrong

the 96/ 24 bit ad/da bit converters are in fact hardware and are excellent sounding
    when put up against an apogee the unit holds it's own for "consumer grade" audio
    there is a lot more going on in the box than just a processing chip

we have a/b'd them and the tc is always a bit warmer
    not as easy or convienent to use as a plug in
    also 5 band multicompression is the schizzle

• I would advise against getting rid of all your gear, especially if you're not broke or running out of space.

I've used software for years, but I always try and have some form of outboard in a track. Why? So it doesn't all sound the same.

A sequencer, running plugins and instruments is great, and really handy, but the sound is quite one dimensional. Even if you just run some hats through the finalizer, you'll be glad you kept it because it will give it another texture.

Dudes like Just can say shit like that because they'll probably be tracking with a neve or ssl, and will send it to the best mastering engineer available.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    I would advise against getting rid of all your gear, especially if you're not broke or running out of space.

I've used software for years, but I always try and have some form of outboard in a track. Why? So it doesn't all sound the same.

A sequencer, running plugins and instruments is great, and really handy, but the sound is quite one dimensional. Even if you just run some hats through the finalizer, you'll be glad you kept it because it will give it another texture.

Dudes like Just can say shit like that because they'll probably be tracking with a neve or ssl, and will send it to the best mastering engineer available.

yes!!!!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    lol, sell that shit.

If you are really planning on mastering something for commercial release, and you cant pony up like 300-400 bucks to get something professionally done, you probably should think twice about what you are releasing.

• Producing in the box is great. Mastering in the box sounds like garbage. You need tubes, mayne. TUBES!!!

I agree with bsides, though. Get a pro to do it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    lol, sell that shit.

If you are really planning on mastering something for commercial release, and you cant pony up like 300-400 bucks to get something professionally done, you probably should think twice about what you are releasing.

BING BANG BOOM.

• fuck computers, sell your pcs & macs, get away from the internet & buy yourself an mpc & a moog... and some mad records..

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    fuck computers, sell your pcs & macs, get away from the internet & buy yourself an mpc & a moog... and some mad records..