greeting cards circulated through the office

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
do you guys have to sign cards at your office? it seems i always have to these days, anywhere from new baby to retirement to birthday cards. i never know what to write cause a lot of co-workers are people i hardly know on any kind of personal level. i don't know a lot their interests, some of them i've never even met cause they work on the east coast. i always feel like such a phony when i write in these damn things. the absolute worst ones are the condolence cards. i think my personal hell would be me being forced to sign these greeting cards nonstop

Comments

• the absolute worst ones are the condolence cards.

I used to think the same thing, but when you actually receive one it's nice. Even if people you don't know just say, "sorry for your loss," it makes you feel good.

• I'm with you on this. My office is all about passing cards. The entire debacle was further exacerbated by our recently-departed (he quit, but is still alive) receptionist, an exceptionally effeminate young man who fancied himself an artist. He would get the card first and draw a likeness (in which no one resembles anyone from their actual race) of the birthday boy or girl. Then we'd write our heartfelt sentiments under or around it.

We have lots of outside sales managers that I don't know *at all* and I get cards to sign for them. The worst was the recent one that landed on my desk for a manager (complete stranger) who recently had a baby--and then was diagnosed with cancer. "Hi...I know I don't really know you, but um...hang in there?" Awkward.

i think my personal hell would be me being forced to sign these greeting cards nonstop

My personal/professional hell was the year I spent writing greeting cards. The horror....

• i just keep it simple. "best regards"

• I am so glad I don't live this anymore

• I used to just write happy birthday and sign my name until one time I wrote happy birthday on a get well soon card.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There's a really good episode of The Office (US) in which Michael spends most of the day trying to think up something funny to write in a card. SO REAL.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I used to just write happy birthday and sign my name until one time I wrote happy birthday on a get well soon card.

My fuckwit colleague always writes "sorry you're leaving", no matter what the occasion. After three years it's worn a little thin.

• We have lots of outside sales managers that I don't know *at all* and I get cards to sign for them. The worst was the recent one that landed on my desk for a manager (complete stranger) who recently had a baby--and then was diagnosed with cancer. "Hi...I know I don't really know you, but um...hang in there?" Awkward.

good god that is rough.

i think the stupidest thing i ever wrote on a card was when a Practice Area Director had a baby and it was something like "You're a PAD and now you're a DAD!"

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    You should have some quips in the tank. Best regards is a good one.
    I'm fond of "You're awesome" and "Stay up". Those together cover all the bases.

• I am so glad I don't live this anymore

[i]Dear S*mon,

I hope you have a kick ass b'day, doggie. I might even post a thread about it on the 'Strut aka whinyassnotastehavingbitches.com. You know I'ma ride for you, my man!

J.Paychecksigner

P.S. I told you not to fuck with them jelly-filleds. My index keeps stickin' to the colon!

• do you guys have to sign cards at your office? it seems i always have to these days, anywhere from new baby to retirement to birthday cards. i never know what to write cause a lot of co-workers are people i hardly know on any kind of personal level. i don't know a lot their interests, some of them i've never even met cause they work on the east coast. i always feel like such a phony when i write in these damn things. the absolute worst ones are the condolence cards.

i think my personal hell would be me being forced to sign these greeting cards nonstop

Just start signing them "edith head."