austin this weekend - WHAT'S GOOD!!!!

2»

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Breakfast - Taco Xpress on Lamar. Some of the illest breakfast tacos, plus you can see DJCoolhands trying to sign live gospel bands on Sunday morning.

Lunch - Gueros on Congress - Excellent fish tacos and great margaritas, within walking distance of Friends of Sound records (Be sure to ask for the top shelf 45s)

the fucked up thing is i type in hippie church and this is actually what pops up.
    a photo from taco express.

i challenge your Gueros recommendation however.
    and offer Polvo's.

Gimme Polvo's.....and ask the head bartender, Arturo, for the House Special Margarita!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Breakfast - Taco Xpress on Lamar. Some of the illest breakfast tacos, plus you can see DJCoolhands trying to sign live gospel bands on Sunday morning.

Lunch - Gueros on Congress - Excellent fish tacos and great margaritas, within walking distance of Friends of Sound records (Be sure to ask for the top shelf 45s)

Both these places are wick wick wack.

Tamale House 4 Life!!!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Taco Xpress lame? different stokes bra

Actually, you're right...Taco Xpress is pretty good. For some reason, I was thinking of another spot on Guadalupe that is certified soft batch...like Guero's.

• They got this place here in Austin....it's called "Olive Garden". It'll blow yr mind. REAL Italians come over here and get there face-melted at the spot.

Don't even get me started on the greatness of Dave & Busters.....

I gotta recommend Ms. B's on East 11th for some righteous Creole and possibly the best mojito I've ever had (with blackberries and basil)...

Dinner Menu

Appetizers

Crab Cakes with Creole Sauce and Yellow Pepper Mayonnaise .......... $11.00
    Shrimp Cocktail .......... $9.00
    Boiled Shrimp .......... half-dozen $9.00
    .......... $11.00
    Fresh Oysters .......... half-dozen $9.00
    .......... $11.00
    Shrimp Remoulade .......... $9.00
    Oyster and Bacon en Brochette .......... $9.00
    Baked Oysters Bienville (Mesa only) .......... $9.00

(There is a risk associated with consuming raw oysters or any raw animal protein. If you have
    Chronic illness of the liver, stomach, or blood, or have immune disorders, you are at greatest risk of illness from raw oysters and should eat oysters fully cooked. If you are unsure of your risk, consult your physician)

Soups

Crawfish Bisque .......... Cup $4.50
    .......... Bowl $6.50
    Red Beans and Rice with Sausage .......... Cup $4.50
    .......... Bowl $6.50
    Seafood Gumbo .......... Cup $4.50
    Bowl $6.50

Salads

Mixed Green Salad .......... Small $4.00
    .......... Large $5.50
    Blackened Catfish Salad .......... $12.00
    Fried Chicken Salad .......... $10.00
    Blackened Chicken Salad .......... $10.00
    Caeser Salad w/ Crab Cakes or Grilled Shrimp .......... $12.00

Salad Dressings:
    Red Wine Oil and Vinagar, Honey Mustard, Balsamic Vinaigrette, Creamy French, Green Onion

Main Courses

Cajun Combo (with catfish filets, frog legs, shrimp, soft shell crab, oysters and fries for 2)
    .......... $30.00

Smothered Pork Chops with Red Beans and Rice .......... $14.95

Fried Catfish Filet with Fries and Vegetable M??lange .......... $12.95

Chicken Jambalaya with ham and sausage .......... $12.95

Seafood Jambalaya .......... $11.95

Fried Chicken with Fries and Vegetable M??lange .......... $11.95

Blackened Chicken Breast with Fettuccini .......... $12.00

Blackened Catfish with Dirty Rice and Vegetable M??lange .......... $13.00

Garlic Shrimp and Oyster on Pasta .......... $14.00

Shrimp Etouffee with Rice and Rich Brown Gravy .......... $12.00

Crawfish Etouffee with Rice and Rich Brown Gravy .......... $14.00

Shrimp Creole served with Rice and a Tomato Sauce .......... $13.95

Shrimp Stir Fry with Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Mushrooms, Squash, Zucchini and served with Rice
    .......... $14.00

Crawfish Fettuccini .......... $14.00

Fried Shrimp Dinner - Half-dozen (with choice of two sides) .......... $12.00
    Fried Shrimp Dinner - One Dozen(with choice of two sides) $15.95

Crawfish Enchiladas with Corn Maque Choux (2) .......... $13.95
    Crawfish Enchiladas with Corn Maque Choux (3) .......... $15.95

Sides A La Carte $4.00 each

Steamed Broccoli
    Dirty Rice
    Steamed or Stir Fried Vegetables
    Rice
    Sweet Potato Fries
    French Fries
    Vegetable Melange
    Potato Salad
    Potatoes Boulangere

Kids Menu

Fried Chicken Fingers with fries .......... $4.50
    Fried Catfish Tidbits with fries .......... $4.50
    Fried Shrimp with fries .......... $4.50
    Cheese Pizza (Eleventh Street only) .......... $4.50
    Pasta tossed with butter (Eleventh Street only) .......... $4.50
    Peanut Butter and Jelly with fries (Mesa only) .......... $4.50
    Grilled Cheese with fries (Mesa only) .......... $4.50

Desserts Ala Mode add $1.50

Sweet Potato Pecan Pie with Chantilly Cream .................... $5.00
    Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce and Chantilly Cream .................... $5.00
    Peach Cobbler .................... $5.00
    Jed's Earth Biscuits with Ice Cream .................... $5.00
    Ice Cream .................... $1.75

Drinks

Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Pink Lemonade and Iced Tea .......... $1.95
    Thomas Kemper Root Beer, Coffee, Tea and Milk .......... $2.00
    San Pellegrino Acqua Panna Bottled Water
    .......... $2.95
    Fanta Strawberry (11th Street Only) .......... $1.95
    Cappucinos (11th Street Only) .......... $2.95
    Espressos (11th Street Only) .......... $2.95

• okay - what about late night eating??? Are any of these places open past 11pm???

okay - what about late night eating??? Are any of these places open past 11pm???

That's the proper time to go to Magnolia Cafe on Lake Austin Boulevard...at 2AM when the bars close.

Barbeque chicken enchiladas to sop up the alcohol...

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Magnolia Cafe (which I prefer over Kirby Lane) is open 24 hours).
    Don't go to Katz's, that place truly blows

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    okay - what about late night eating??? Are any of these places open past 11pm???

is starseeds still a late night option? i was never really into that place, but it used to be near the crib and they had HUGE breakfast tacos for hella cheap. it used to be the pseudo-punk diner in austin, but towards the end it was pop-punk at best...and not much different than denny's.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    They got this place here in Austin....it's called "Olive Garden". It'll blow yr mind. REAL Italians come over here and get there face-melted at the spot.

Don't even get me started on the greatness of Dave & Busters.....

Lol!!!!!!!!!

• breakfast: Mi Madres for breakfast taco's. miss that shit seriously. Manor Rd.

i can fully cosign mi madres. my ex girl used to live across the street and we would hit it up all the time. great tacos!

• okay - what about late night eating??? Are any of these places open past 11pm???

is starseeds still a late night option? i was never really into that place, but it used to be near the crib and they had HUGE breakfast tacos for hella cheap. it used to be the pseudo-punk diner in austin, but towards the end it was pop-punk at best...and not much different than denny's.

They've redone the building a lot and it's pretty cool. I'll take StarSeeds over Kerbey/Magnolia anytime for the late nite business. Straight up diner w/ all that comes w/ it while those other spots can get a little "froo froo" for my tastes.

• If breakfast tacos are on the agenda, I think Juan In A Million needs to be mentioned. Get the "Don Juan" and you will leave satisfied for $3.

• Gene - you're offically my running buddy this weekend. expect to eat A LOT!~!!!!

• If breakfast tacos are on the agenda, I think Juan In A Million needs to be mentioned. Get the "Don Juan" and you will leave satisfied for $3.

This man speaketh the truth! Don Juan tacos are the shit. Best owner handshake in Austin too. I order one taco and three extra tortillas and it makes like 3 or 4 tacos for $3. Good salsa too.

• Gene - you're offically my running buddy this weekend. expect to eat A LOT!~!!!!

I like eating.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Now it's Avril Lavigne... The food is still pretty good and it is open late or all night still though but it was mainly good because you felt like you were walking in to hell and if you could come out alive it was all worthwhile.

Do you remember "The Rules" they had posted? I just remember the first one:

1. DO NOT LOOK AT THE COOK

• these folks got you covered with some of my fav food and record spots in town. but i HAVE to offer up Evita's Botanitas for lunch or dinner. Best Mex/Tex-Mex in town imho. they bring six unique salsas to the table which is heaven for a salsa freak like myself.

also, if you are into obscure rock and don't mind paying for it, i suggest Piranha Records up in Round Rock. you can also get your latest Harvey Canal endorsed austin/houston rapid ric related mixtapes there.

I LOVE THIS TOWN!