Sunday Night Finds (crazy record couple related)

DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
so prime cuts tells me about 2 months ago about a couple he bought records from at a spot in jersey, who told tale of 10,000 records in their basement. he runs into them again this past weekend and they finally come through. so i drive through the beginning of a snowstorm to get to their house about a half hour away.the best part is, she tells him that "a guy from philly" is coming wednesday to look at them. we figure out it's stinkie steve and are elated we'll finally get to go through some records before that guy does and charges us inflated prices at the flea market.the couple is nice (and they have a basment full of all genres of records). they're excited we want to buy, and hang with us for a while, but eventually let us do our thing. we picked out about 100 records, more or less and start to divide them up. when i found a mint black ceasar, the husband started going nuts. "that's worth hundreds of dollars, i can put that up on e bay! he's dead and his records are worth more! we have a 5 record beatle set that's worth $10,000. " at this point we were just about done, and brought them upstairs to pay them. (she told prime cuts $2 on ANY record). so then another guy who went with us, who basically bought classic rock, proceeds to get beraded because he has hendrix, stones, and bob dylan records. the guy starts screaming "i listened to those in vietnam, that woodstock record is worth 200 bucks. hell, those covers are worth money!" we just wanted to get out of there, and they wouldn't sell me any james brown or a clarence carter records. i did, however, manage to get these:rev. jesse jackson - i am somebodylou rawls - the way it was, the way it iskool & the gang - spirit of the boogiekool & the gang - open sesamethe immortal otis reddingotis redding - live in europebreakin' - OSTsly stone - recorded in SF 1964-67funkadelic - one nation under a groovedark shadows TV soundtrackgeorge allison - so unusual (release records) bronx reggaejohn gary williams - john gary williamsbrothers johnson - right on timeal green - green is blues12"kold krew - don't let 'em drop the bomb (cleveland hip hop from '84)the egyptian lover - egypt, egyptgangster d - smoothkaren young - hot shotthe whatnots - help is on the waydivine sounds - what people do for moneysome unnamed artist, reggae 12" on dread at the controls records - breakdown the wallsmy favorite find: mc shy d - got to be toughi know these finds aren't stellar, but the people were killing us while they were arguing. the lady just wanted to get rid of the records, but the husband will still clinging on because he thought he could sell them on e bay. it was worth spending 50 bucks and driving through a snow storm to witness this crazy couple fighting like a scene out of cops. i'll let prime throw his finds up when he gets a chance.

Comments

• gangsterD is a good find....rakim imitation raer

• It is always definitely worth driving to see crazy record people

especially when they fight....

but not so much when they do the whole its worth heaps on ebay shit

Still, you did get some records cheap though!!!!!

• i believe that "break down the walls" is by mikey dread

• i believe that "break down the walls" is by mikey dread

thank you.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    looking at the thread title made me laugh. Actually I told prestige about these people over a year ago. I saw them again on thursday and they told me the tale of their record collection. I told them that I tried to look at their records a year ago and they never got back to me. Thinking that they wouldn't call me again I gave them my number anyway...well they called me and it was on. I felt bad for prestige's buddy getting grilled for trying to buy hendrix and dylan albums...pretty funny in retrospect

(prestige summed up the evening pretty well)

I'll post my finds soon...Can't complain about the records I got...

Rich ohh I mean R**h

• so prime cuts tells me about 2 months ago about a couple he bought records from at a spot in jersey(...)the couple is nice (and they have a basment full of all genres of records). they're excited we want to buy, and hang with us for a while, but eventually let us do our thing. we picked out about 100 records, more or less and start to divide them up. when i found a mint black ceasar, the husband started going nuts. "that's worth hundreds of dollars, i can put that up on e bay! he's dead and his records are worth more! we have a 5 record beatle set that's worth $10,000. " at this point we were just about done, and brought them upstairs to pay them. (she told prime cuts $2 on ANY record). so then another guy who went with us, who basically bought classic rock, proceeds to get beraded because he has hendrix, stones, and bob dylan records. the guy starts screaming "i listened to those in vietnam, that woodstock record is worth 200 bucks. hell, those covers are worth money!"

I HATE when record dealers talk to me while I'm trying to shop...maybe after, but goddam, not DURING...nine times out of ten, if they're dealing from their home or from an open-air flea (never an actual convention), they'll be raising prices on shit that they didn't even know was there and just generally getting in the way. I know that THEY'RE the ones doing the selling, but how can I shop if these fools won't just fade away for a minute?

• so prime cuts tells me about 2 months ago about a couple he bought records from at a spot in jersey(...)the couple is nice (and they have a basment full of all genres of records). they're excited we want to buy, and hang with us for a while, but eventually let us do our thing. we picked out about 100 records, more or less and start to divide them up. when i found a mint black ceasar, the husband started going nuts. "that's worth hundreds of dollars, i can put that up on e bay! he's dead and his records are worth more! we have a 5 record beatle set that's worth $10,000. " at this point we were just about done, and brought them upstairs to pay them. (she told prime cuts $2 on ANY record). so then another guy who went with us, who basically bought classic rock, proceeds to get beraded because he has hendrix, stones, and bob dylan records. the guy starts screaming "i listened to those in vietnam, that woodstock record is worth 200 bucks. hell, those covers are worth money!"

I HATE when record dealers talk to me while I'm trying to shop...maybe after, but goddam, not DURING...nine times out of ten, if they're dealing from their home or from an open-air flea (never an actual convention), they'll be raising prices on shit that they didn't even know was there and just generally getting in the way. I know that THEY'RE the ones doing the selling, but how can I shop if these fools won't just fade away for a minute?

the husband actually slammed a few records down on the table when we were exchanging the money. he's yelling: "i know how much these records are worth, i just looked on e bay!" meanwhile the wife kept sticking her head in the whole time we were digging going: "white soul boys...never thought i'd see that."

***bonus

they opened a trunk to show us more records and promptly removed a ganja growing lamp...

• Bonus points if you videotape the ensuing brawl with the couple, steve, a load of junk LPs and a grow lamp.

• we're supposed to go back for the 45s before steve gets there so you might get what you wish for.....although a video tape of steve wheeling and dealing with them would be classic! the husband claims that "steve ain't gonna get off that easy...."

let's get prime cuts to tell the stinky steve dook story of the week, it's a good one.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    so prime cuts tells me about 2 months ago about a couple he bought records from at a spot in jersey, who told tale of 10,000 records in their basement. he runs into them again this past weekend and they finally come through. so i drive through the beginning of a snowstorm to get to their house about a half hour away.

my favorite find: mc shy d - got to be tough

I love that MC Shy D LP - a real slept on classic.

Yo WHO is this brother shy-d I was listening to to him the other day man he's so def like number three on the phone cuz..

Nice story.. now that it's warming up and people are starting to clean out their attics, can't wait to get out there again amongst the crazies.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    we're supposed to go back for the 45s before steve gets there so you might get what you wish for.....although a video tape of steve wheeling and dealing with them would be classic! the husband claims that "steve ain't gonna get off that easy...."

let's get prime cuts to tell the stinky steve dook story of the week, it's a good one.

so I went back for the 45's tonight. They had I gigantic crate of 45's filled with terds. After all that I scored one 45 and ended up hanging out with them for a couple hours. They started tripping when I told them I liked to cook ham hocks and collard greens. The wife told me I was a black man in a previous life...I should of showed her the Kenny Rogers / Dolly Parton records in her collection and told her she must of been as white as elmer's glue in a previous life.