Kid Capri - The Tape

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Underated? I like this album alot. The Biz Production is good and I like Kid Capri's party-type rhymes.Some real Uptown Bounce shit on this "tape". When it dropped my peers werent really feelin it.I was throwin my pom-poms up in the air back then and I still do.Discuss.

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    It's good. Not something I grab immediately for the whip though. Perhaps I'll revisit.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    It's good. Not something I grab immediately for the whip though.

Its a bonafied "Jeep Beat" album though. If your talkin "for tha car" albums.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Revisit timezzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I was soooo disappointed by this when i got. Growing up in a small town in northern cali, I had no idea who Kid Capri was except that everyone gave him shout outs so i thought this was going to be the shit, and then well, I wasn't feeling it. Maybe I should dig it out though.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Underated?

I think so; I actually need to get a copy... I only have the "Apollo" 12", which I like a lot.

When u compare the production to Grand Daddy I.U and Diamond Shell's first joint, it right there.
    It's not groundbraking or classic, just good solid Hip Hop of its era. Not whole lotta lyrical mumbo jumbo either.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Underated?

I think so; I actually need to get a copy... I only have the "Apollo" 12", which I like a lot.

Wow. I haven't thought of that record in a looooong time (nor Kid for that matter).

Does anyone have any of his old live tapes? Back when I was around 14 or so this dude moved here from Harlem and brought some crazy tapes with him. He dubbed me a live show of Kid's (his birthday I think) where he would stop the record and get on the mic, then start cutting and saying the phrase he was scratching back and forth. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I need to hear that shit again.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I remember not liking this when it came out, but I checked it out a few years ago & dug it. The promo 12" of "Joke's On You Jack" is hawt & kinda raer.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    This album was

• [quote
    Does anyone have any of his old live tapes? Back when I was around 14 or so this dude moved here from Harlem and brought some crazy tapes with him. He dubbed me a live show of Kid's (his birthday I think) where he would stop the record and get on the mic, then start cutting and saying the phrase he was scratching back and forth. Anybody know what I'm talking about? I need to hear that shit again.
    No- but his tapes (Ron G. too!) were the shit! He's still one of the best hip-hop party dj's. "The Tape" was kinda wack at the time- but it might sound genius campared to DJ Unk or Young Jeezy

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    How can you beat that back cover with the tape sandwhiched like a burger, and ready to be eaten. I copped this like 4 years ago, maybe i'll revisit.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    this shit sucked, I'm still mad I paid money for it

• according to Kid Capri, he made all of those beats, not Biz. Seems to be the same situation as the Grand Daddy IU lp. Biz was the one who had the production deal, so his name went on the records and he got credit (even the financial credit). Kid Capri said something like "i wasn't mad, he had the deal and he helped put me on for that record, so I'm not mad, but I'm proud of those beats." grand daddy IU said he made all of the beats on Smooth Assassin expcept for "Soul Touch," which he also said he hated. He said he saw Biz and was like "what the fuck, I made those beats, why are you getting the credit" and Biz said something like "that's the business dude."

The Tape is alright. Not the best lyrically, but it's a fun listen every few years. It's got some good beats.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    i slept on it for i while. i still need the "joke is on you jack" 12" which is my fave cut off the lp.

• I borrowed it of a friend when the album first dropped and didn???t like it that much (apart from the tracks Jokes On You Jack and Whisper)
    Saw it on eBay for cheap a few months ago and decided to cop it (just for the couple of tracks I liked) and I tell you what I liked it a lot more this time around.
    Its not a great album but has a certain charm and I???m glad I gave it a revisit.

• Underated?

I like this album alot. The Biz Production is good and I like Kid Capri's party-type rhymes.
    Some real Uptown Bounce shit on this "tape". When it dropped my peers werent really feelin it.
    I was throwin my pom-poms up in the air back then and I still do.

Discuss.

It was a good album for it's time but it sounds really dated these days, I still have it on tape in storage.

Underated?

I like this album alot. The Biz Production is good and I like Kid Capri's party-type rhymes.
    Some real Uptown Bounce shit on this "tape". When it dropped my peers werent really feelin it.

Discuss.

It was a good album for it's time but it sounds really dated these days, I still have it on tape in storage.

Which of the following do you object to: girls, parties, fun or all three?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Underated?

Discuss.

Are you a Kid Capri fan? Does anyone like the Diamond Shell lp?

Underated?

Discuss.

Well, that's actually a modified quote from the one deej but, yes, I am a Kid Capri fan... are there people who are not?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Underated?

Discuss.

Well, that's actually a modified quote form the one deej but, yes, I am a Kid Capri fan... are there people who are not?

I guess there are some folks not feeling him, or at least they don't dig the album. I've only heard a bit of the tapes that Day mentioned. Did those tapes or the Ron G tapes make their to your neck of the woods BITD? I've never heard either at length. I am curious to check them out, though.

I like Diamond Shell's album. Its fun w/ decent production and average rhymes.

This Is What Came Here For - Kid Capri/The Tape is my shit. With that J5- I Am Love loop.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Ron G

Not to hi-jack the thread, but was dude ever credited for being one of the first DJ's to really mix hip hop and R&B together? Before Mary J. Blige and all that, he was doing those 3 turtable blends with stuff like Stephanie Mills over Sucka MC's and Impeach the President. I need some of his old tapes too.

• Great LP. I recall having to make do with the CD at the time of its release as I just couldn't find a vinyl copy. Recitified that situation a couple of years ago.

Was never a fan of the Apollo single mind so if anyone wants to trade a Jokes On You Jack Remix for it I'll happily oblige

• cool v mix

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Ron G

Not to hi-jack the thread, but was dude ever credited for being one of the first DJ's to really mix hip hop and R&B together? Before Mary J. Blige and all that, he was doing those 3 turtable blends with stuff like Stephanie Mills over Sucka MC's and Impeach the President. I need some of his old tapes too.

Ron G was the muhfuckin' truth, and he did pretty much father that entire mid-to-late-1990s R&B style of singing over classic hip-hop beats, though I don't think he gets much credit for it outside of 'Strutlike circles. I may still have a couple of his tapes lying around here somewhere (though a lot of them grew legs during college and my subsequent move out west). If I can find some, I'll post 'em up.

Waterbeeeeeeed!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Ron G

As far back as I can remember (Around 93) hearing Ron's tapes and starting doing my own hip hop & R&B blends. Alot of dudes back then gave Ron credit. But now.. Nobody really remembers that shit.

I was amped picking up Mary's Be Happy with Ron's mix and same with Miss Jones Where I Wanna Be Boy back in 94. That shit was nice.

As far as Capri goes. I didn't really like that LP. But I do miss the days of him and Martin doing Def Comedy Jam...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Ron G

As far back as I can remember (Around 93) hearing Ron's tapes and starting doing my own hip hop & R&B blends. Alot of dudes back then gave Ron credit. But now.. Nobody really remembers that shit.

I remember the yo mtv raps episode where they featured him along with some other mixtape dudes.Everybody that cares to know about this sort of thing acknowledges him as one of the originators of the style.

Women copped Ron G & Kid Capri tapes when they dropped.

• Underated?

Discuss.

None...I just said it sounds really dated and I never said it was a bad album.

• Ron G

I was amped picking up Mary's Be Happy with Ron's mix and same with Miss Jones Where I Wanna Be Boy back in 94. That shit was nice.

Early Puff Daddy owes Ron G. blends something HUGE! Those early Mary J. and Jodeci productions were clealy indebted!