I never liked the BEASTIE BOYS

Comments

• There are some still really dope album cuts on LTI.

"Slow and Low" ? And they always killed that one live.
    "Posse in Effect"
    "The New Style"
    "Time to Get Ill" (nerdness: whenever they cut up CCR in that song it makes me think of "One Crazy SUmmer")

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    i did forget to mention one thing

RICKY POWELL CAN DO NO WRONG

LUSHLIFE FOREVER BATCHES

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

RICKY POWELL CAN DO NO WRONG

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    That's another highlight from the time I saw them in 94/95,
    Ricky Powell "opening up" with his "observations".
    Dude is funny as hell, and a killer photographer too!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

The Beastie Boys hatin' up in this piece is UTTERLY ABSURD!!!! These dudes have 4 bona fide classic albums (How many rap artists can say this???), changed the game production-wise, and had hella longevity. What else must they do to earn respect? When you diss artists of this caliber, you diss yourself.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Yo,

The Beastie Boys hatin' up in this piece is UTTERLY ABSURD!!!! These dudes have 4 bona fide classic albums (How many rap artists can say this???), changed the game production-wise, and had hella longevity. What else must they do to earn respect? When you diss artists of this caliber, you diss yourself.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Well said!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Yo,

The Beastie Boys hatin' up in this piece is UTTERLY ABSURD!!!! These dudes have 4 bona fide classic albums (How many rap artists can say this???), changed the game production-wise, and had hella longevity. What else must they do to earn respect?

Rap competently?

Naw, don't get it twisted--I respect the fact that they have two classic rap albums (the others may be classics of another genre, I really couldn't say).

I just don't see how anyone could actually enjoy listening to them. But then we have a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers fans on here, too.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    they have two classic rap albums

Exactly.

I have this radio mixtape from around '88/89 w/ a Beastie Boys song on it called "I'M Down" The chorus is
    a Beatles vocal sample. It them rhyming to a kinda surfer sound. Anybody got info on this? Its not on the box set and Ive never seen it as b-side...whatever. The Beatles sample most likely didnt get cleared/ok'd then so I can see it being a radio promo only type song. The Show was the WNYU show - Rap This w/ P-Fine.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    If you've seen them live then you will never hate on them again. Dudes know how to rock a show and bring it.

5th='97=Mix Master Mike rocking "Tom Sawyer" doubles, in the round stage set up, Tribe as the opener on their last tour.

Don't know if I'd go see them again, sometimes it's best to keep the memories intact.

I saw that.. at Madison Square.. flew from TX to see it and visit my friend. At the show I told him.. "They just got this new DJ, MixMaster Mike.. he's one of the best DJ's in the world.. but I don't know if he'll do a lot of his stuff tonight.." then he came out on stage by himself and rocked the Rush and blew everyone away. The show was amazing although even at that point I felt like the oldest b-boys fan in the world and I was 22??!

The highlights were Biz Markie coming out and singing Benny and the Jets (straight MAGICAL) and when Q-Tip came back out for Get It Together. I think Mike D got booed for mentioning that Clinton had fired a rocket at that milk factory or whatever. Ahh the good ol' days.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    they have two classic rap albums

Exactly.

I have this radio mixtape from around '88/89 w/ a Beastie Boys song on it called "I'M Down" The chorus is
    a Beatles vocal sample. It them rhyming to a kinda surfer sound. Anybody got info on this? Its not on the box set and Ive never seen it as b-side...whatever. The Beatles sample most likely didnt get cleared/ok'd then so I can see it being a radio promo only type song. The Show was the WNYU show - Rap This w/ P-Fine.

It's on a boot release called Original Ill.

It was taken off LTI just before release. And yes, it's because of non clearance.

• The Beastie's were trailblazers PERIOD.
    They hand their hands on the pulse of
    all the esoteric shit we love dearly
    (including digging) via Grand Royal
    long before the internet & Soul Strut.
    For better or worse, they practically
    spoonfed popular culture to Suburbia.
    Whether they deserved it or not is
    another question. Only when the rest
    of the world catches up can we piss on
    their legacy.
    If anything else, they keep lining Russel's
    pockets & introduced the word "mullet"
    to the masses.
    On the music tip,
    They have 3, not 2, bonafide classics.
    Same as Run-DMC, PE, Tribe & De La.
    Let's slaughter them while we're at it.

By the way, I still love my Biz flexi disc.

They have 3, not 2, bonafide classics.

Check Your Head is a Classic amongst what demograph? None of my peers were checkin them by then.
    The streets were down w/ the first 2 joints but that 3 joint was real skateboarderish.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The Beastie's were trailblazers PERIOD.
    They hand their hands on the pulse of
    all the esoteric shit we love dearly
    (including digging) via Grand Royal
    long before the internet & Soul Strut.
    For better or worse, they practically
    spoonfed popular culture to Suburbia.
    Whether they deserved it or not is
    another question. Only when the rest
    of the world catches up can we piss on
    their legacy.

This is absurd--it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of their music.

I know half you SoulStrut dudes spent your high school years fantasizing about being the fourth Beastie Boy and spending intimate moments in the bathroom with the latest issue of Grand Royal, but please try to stay on topic.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

their legacy.

This is absurd--it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of their music.

I know half you SoulStrut dudes spent your high school years fantasizing about being the fourth Beastie Boy and spending intimate moments in the bathroom with the latest issue of Grand Royal, but please try to stay on topic.

• I think Check Your Head really represented what they were all about
    with their love of all styles (punk, hip hop & groove oriented instrumentals.)
    Depending on who you are, this release was either all over the
    place or nowhere at all.
    Yes it was embraced by the skateboard scene,
    but considering demographics, I know people who can't get past Paul Revere.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

their legacy.

lol, take faux's words w/ a grain of salt. he was in another thread extolling the future classic status of ciara...

I think Check Your Head really represented what they were all about
    with their love of all styles (punk, hip hop & groove oriented instrumentals.)
    Depending on who you are, this release was either all over the
    place or nowhere at all.
    Yes it was embraced by the skateboard scene,
    but considering demographics, I know people who can't get past Paul Revere.

True, but Hip Hop radio in NYC was not playing anything beyond So Watcha Want, if that at all.
    Maybe college radio was but.....

• But then we have a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers fans on here, too.

Actually, there were only about 4 or 5 posters willing to "ride" for them. THat thread was a strong 15 to 1 "again' ".

HS fantasies of the 4th Beastie was pretty funny but I gotta call "flagrant" on the intimate Grand Royal moments.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I gotta call "flagrant" on the intimate Grand Royal moments.

SPOKEN LIKE SOMEONE WHO TOUCHED THEMSELF TO LEE PERRY CENTERFOLDS

• Homophobia aside, that intimate moment comment, while funny, was

By the way, any remedies on hot to unstick magazine pages?

• I gotta call "flagrant" on the intimate Grand Royal moments.

SPOKEN LIKE SOMEONE WHO TOUCHED THEMSELF TO LEE PERRY CENTERFOLDS

Young 'uns take note. The essence of S S was just captured in 10 bolded words.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I think I have a pretty consistent history of doing just that by sticking up for music that is generally reviled on this board.

true

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    But then we have a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers fans on here, too.

Actually, there were only about 4 or 5 posters willing to "ride" for them. THat thread was a strong 15 to 1 "again' ".

HS fantasies of the 4th Beastie was pretty funny but I gotta call "flagrant" on the intimate Grand Royal moments.

"But the RHCP are cool devils"

• wow...but using there voices as samples kinda gives any beat alittle life of it self

• faux rillz... don't you usually base your hip-hop comments on how many copies a record sells??? can't you at least admit that for years the beastie boys had the highest selling hip-hop album in history? i'm not mad at you for not liking their music... but why wouldn't your soundscan theories apply here as well?

• I was gonna post about a Deluxe version of License To Ill. Wondering if they had enuff extra material to add to the OG. How's the sound quality of this OG-ILL? DEF JAM should deluxe this joint.

From what I've heard there won't be a reissue of that (or Paul's Boutique, or a whole host of other old school classics) due to the cost of clearing samples. If they re-release the album with bonus tracks I've heard it's basically considered a new release so they'd have to get sample clearance for everything on the album. They didn't really have to bother with it the first time around, but these days everybody's hip to the game and there's no way they'd get the clearances, at least not without spending tons of money. I don't know if opinions have changed in the 20 years since the album dropped but I distinctly remember Steve Miller wasn't too fond of his music being used by the Beasties (or other artists in general). The Led Zeppelin guys weren't too keen on their stuff being sampled at the time, but times have changed and Jimmy Page let Puff Daddy sample "Kashmir", for christ's sake, so who knows if they'd be game to allow a clearance. Even if they would I imagine the cost of clearing a Zeppelin sample would be insanely high. So basically, don't hold your breath waiting for a remaster/reissue of this album...and certainly not of Paul's Boutique. I would imagine that album would probably have the highest cost for sample clearances of any album ever because it's just chock full of them.

A while back I downloaded what purported to be a European remaster of LTI, but I don't know how true that was.

I was gonna post about a Deluxe version of License To Ill. Wondering if they had enuff extra material to add to the OG. How's the sound quality of this OG-ILL? DEF JAM should deluxe this joint.

From what I've heard there won't be a reissue of that (or Paul's Boutique, or a whole host of other old school classics) due to the cost of clearing samples. If they re-release the album with bonus tracks I've heard it's basically considered a new release so they'd have to get sample clearance for everything on the album. They didn't really have to bother with it the first time around, but these days everybody's hip to the game and there's no way they'd get the clearances, at least not without spending tons of money. I don't know if opinions have changed in the 20 years since the album dropped but I distinctly remember Steve Miller wasn't too fond of his music being used by the Beasties (or other artists in general). The Led Zeppelin guys weren't too keen on their stuff being sampled at the time, but times have changed and Jimmy Page let Puff Daddy sample "Kashmir", for christ's sake, so who knows if they'd be game to allow a clearance. Even if they would I imagine the cost of clearing a Zeppelin sample would be insanely high. So basically, don't hold your breath waiting for a remaster/reissue of this album...and certainly not of Paul's Boutique. I would imagine that album would probably have the highest cost for sample clearances of any album ever because it's just chock full of them.

Would a re-mastered upgrade fall into the same catagory?

• http://www.sendspace.com/file/d7nu9j

Beastie Boys - Original Ill - Demos and Outtakes

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/d7nu9j

Beastie Boys - Original Ill - Demos and Outtakes

my man. thanks.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    beasties are hip hop made by white dudes for white dudes. With that said, Ive been a fan of the beasties for a long long time. The last album, 5 boroughs, was
    but i dont know how people can front on their earlier works. I just think a lot of you just need to play devils advocate just for the sake of arguing. The beasties have been been successful doing what they do without compromising what they are about. And PBs beats, Intergalactic beats, check your head, that instrumental album are great productions. Sometimes the rhymes do get a little trite, but the beats balance it out. But even with the lyrics, i find that i can relate more with what they are saying then a lot of other albums that have been dropped in the last 10 years. To me that makes a group resonate more and actually engage me more because they are speaking my language.
    so you diss the beasties you diss yourself.
    CHHHURCH

oh and too the dude who mentioned they should do a remix album, I got some whitelabel uk import a few years ago that is all remixes. Some good large pro beats and a lot of other dope remixes.