I never liked the BEASTIE BOYS

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    All this anti Beastie talk sounds a lot like overcompensation.

Beasties are the shit.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Anyone read the 33&1/3 on PB. I thought it was interesting.

I want to know more about this dude

I remember hearing from people that part of PB was mixed/mastered in the back of a car because the amps in the studios blew and there a strict deadline due to sampling laws about to change. I heard dudes were piled in the car (which was hooked to the main board via long cables) speaking on a cellular telling engineers what changes to make.

Has anyone heard this???

Is it true???

Or an elaborate rumuer??

Real headz out there must know the deal

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I know John Book can speak about "Paul's Boutique."

• All this anti Beastie talk sounds a lot like overcompensation.

Beasties are the shit.

Hi Cosmo...you guys killed it on Tuesday

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    ground breaking????

please

maybe for a new septic system

if the cut and paste sample brilliance of PB has got you mystified
    may i refer you to double dee and stienski who beat those self professed clowns to the punch by 8 years

• The real story:

1. kala is big beastie boys fan.

2. later learns that they are considered synomynous with middle class white kids exactly like himself

3. disavows them to demonstrate that he is different from the rest of the middle class crackers.

4. The seed of hipsterdom thus planted blossoms. Dedicates the rest of his life thereafter extolling the virtues of stuff he doesnt really like and self importantly revealing "the truth" about stuff that no-one gives a fuck about.

• ground breaking????

please

may i refer you to double dee and stienski who beat those self professed clowns to the punch by 8 years

I think Check Your Head was groundbreaking. The production style, instrumentals...nothing really like it before.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Beasties are the shit.

Glad you made it out. It was a lot of fun, although that's such a STRANGE fucking party. Hipsterr central and all... fuck it. You guys making it to Texas or WMC?

Beasties are the shit.

Glad you made it out. It was a lot of fun, although that's such a STRANGE fucking party. Hipsterr central and all... fuck it. You guys making it to Texas or WMC?

don't get me started about the hipsters...I've learned to block them out where ever I go in LA. Not 100% sure about SXSW, I still have to get the OK from work.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    ground breaking????

please

We're now leaving hair-splitting territory, and heading for the Soulstrut Republic of Out-and-Out Bullshit, I notice.

Nobody is saying they (or the Dust Brothers) invented, or even pioneered, cut-and-paste techniques. That would be nonsense. What I was saying was that nobody was making entire albums full of densely layered samples from records that most people simply were not fucking with at the time. For example, people may have known that Eagles beat from Cold Crush tapes or whatever, but were they rhyming over it on record? I remember when Paul's Boutique came out and, trust me, it flew people's heads.

• Beasties are the shit.

i agree man, beasties get respect.
    i'd say the 1st 3 LPs are classic. the ones since then are solid. Even the last one, which everyone seems to hate, was allRIGHT. I listened to it once and once only, and considering the other rap LPs from that time that i did the same thing with, I'd venture that the beasties lp is one of the more solid efforts from the period

i can also see people not liking there voices and flow, but come one, SO MANY hilarious quotable and clever rhymes there...

• don't get me started about the hipsters...I've learned to block them out where ever I go in LA.

I need to get Zen about these fuckers. i seriously start to want to get violent when i get around too many of them.

• I still rock this one sometimes. I wish I could find more stuff as cool as "Ricky's Theme." The upright bass in that tune wrecks shit.

yea! i just put this on and i still love it

Beasties are the shit.

I think as of late they fell off, but in their prime they did some good ass stuff.

It seems sort of sillin to be dissin them on this board.

Beasties are the shit.

Beasties are the shit.

Beasties are the shit.

Beasties are the shit.

Beasties are the shit.

Beasties are the shit.

Beasties are the shit.

Beasties are the shit.

Beasties are the shit.

Beasties are the shit.

Beasties are the shit.

Beasties are the shit.

Beasties are the shit.

• sconesscones 434 Posts
    they need legendary status for getting people like me, the mack, and supertoaster into rap music.

• paul revere
    hold it, now hit
    rhymin and stealin
    brass monkey

heads were like 1 when this dropped.
    stop frontin.

• If they were black they would be highly revered by most for their body of work. What crew before them picked up instruments and accompanied themselves as a funk band? I'll give them credit where credit is due.

F this "reverse racism" claim. If they were black they wouldn't have crossed over because indie rock and white college kids wouldn't feel "okay" listening to them.

they sure felt ok rockin to public enemy.

dont believe the hype

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    paul revere
    hold it, now hit
    rhymin and stealin
    brass monkey

heads were like 16 when this dropped.
    stop frontin.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Ah, c'mon now, it's not like they're EPMD or something where anybody who says they can't get with it must be fronting.

I recognize the importance of their first two albums, but as far as actually listening to them? I just can't do it. Screechrapping.

• Some static started in the pool hall
    Hit a motherfucker's face with the cue ball
    Then I met this girl she tried to gank me
    So I smacked her in the booty with a Plank Bee
    Cause me and my crew were out breakin' windows
    The bingo the lotto you know I'll never win those
    Possession is half the law
    I had my routines before all y'all
    Your whole life is comin' apart at the seams
    You ain't nothing but a car thief biting routines
    See I'm a city slicker I ain't no townie
    Right now I wish I had another hash brownie
    Like Ricky always said you've got to toke and pass
    Or Mookie's gonna kick your motherfuckin' ass
    You try to take what isn't yours like a God damn rat
    "See I personally I wouldn't even wanna' go out like that"

I'm a writer a poet a genius I know it
    I don't buy cheeba I grow it
    "I'm a farmer"
    People always trying to get next to me
    I had a beautiful experience on ecstasy
    I smoked up a bag of elephant tranquilizer
    Because I had to deal with a money hungry miser
    Had a caine filled Kool with my man Rush Rush
    Saw my teeth fall in the sink when I started to brush
    You be doing nose candy on the Bowie Coke Mirror
    My girl asked for some but I pretended not to hear her
    You can't deny me you always want to try me
    Yo you're just gonna get your ass kicked
    Homeboy throw in the towel
    Your girl got dicked by Ricky Powell
    The Godfather of Soul in the belly of the beast
    Smokin' that dust at St. Anthony's Feast

All the wife beaters and all the tax cheaters
    Sitting in the White House pulling their peters
    Buy my cheeba from the cop down the street
    The only cop with a rope chain with the walking the beat
    So like a sneaky pouch time bomb tickin'
    Like the beat to my rhyme just kickin'
    Space cake cookies I discover who I am
    I'm a dusted old bummy Hurdy Gurdy Man
    Five-O caught me now I'm going to the mountains
    Said good-bye to my girl my lawyers and accountants
    My mind is kinda' rhymin' and I think I oughta think
    So I'm rockin all the rhymes and I'll have another drink
    So the lights are flashing my mind is spinning
    I feel like it is always the beginning
    Of another rhyme I'm rappin' MC'in' I rock
    You ain't nothing but a car thief who must be stopped

So many great lines from Car Thief but my fave is "Had a Cane filled Kool w/ my man Rush Rush"

How you gon' convince a hater the Beasties weren't at one time the mega-shit? I rode the bus an hour each way to school in 6th grade and I musta listened to that tape in its entirety both ways every day for about 6 months. Then Paul's Boutique blew my still young mind. Maybe you had to live through it....

Paul's Boutique is the only one I can still listen to w/ regularity but I'll ride for the first 4.

• Half of hello nasty is killer

I was over the BB by Paul's Boutique. I couldn't get w/ the live instraments thing.

• I was over the BB by Paul's Boutique. I couldn't get w/ the live instraments thing.

You mean Check Your Head? Paul's was a sample-fest.

I was over the BB by Paul's Boutique. I couldn't get w/ the live instraments thing.

You mean Check Your Head? Paul's was a sample-fest.

Yeah. So Watcha Want is my shit, but Hip Hop was makin some real good stuff and that live music shit wasnt me at the time.

• I remember hearing from people that part of PB was mixed/mastered in the back of a car because the amps in the studios blew and there a strict deadline due to sampling laws about to change. I heard dudes were piled in the car (which was hooked to the main board via long cables) speaking on a cellular telling engineers what changes to make.

Has anyone heard this???

Is it true???

Or an elaborate rumuer??

"Sampling" and "laws" didn't exist in 1988, which is when most of Paul's Boutique was recorded and mixed. No sampling laws existed in 1988, so there was nothing to change. What did exist was unauthorized interpolations, or covering a song as part of the song's melody (i.e. what the Sugar Hill house band were doing).

If there was a so-called deadline, then they were definitely taking their time between recording and mixing, and finally releasing the album a year later.

As far as the recording sessions, I have heard that much of the recording sessions were documented on video. In fact, check out the video for "Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun", where you see them doing not only vocal tracks together in their own booths, but Yauch laying down the bass line and Ad Rock laying down the guitar track.

If there was a deadline, it had to do with getting the master tape to Capitol, and not a mixing or mastering issue. Also keep in mind that the Beastie Boys received a huge advance from Capitol, so there was no margin for error. That's not to say that the group or the Dust Brothers didn't experiment with different production or sound techniques, but if amps had blown, Capitol were more than happy to supply them with another studio to finish the project.

As it has been said, about half of the instrumentals for the album were complete, since they were meant for the Dust Brothers own album. All the Beastie Boys had to do for those was lay down vocal tracks.

I never heard the rumor before, but considering what has been documented about PB, those theories sound very out of place.

The only time anyone ever "pulled the plug" was when Capitol canceled the PB tour. Capitol expected the new album to sell as much and as fast as Licensed To Ill. It sold 500,000 copies by the time "Shadrach" was released as a single, but when that was considered a failure, they decided that a tour wasn't necessary. There were only a small handful of shows they did after PB came out, most of which were in L.A.

• The only time anyone ever "pulled the plug" was when Capitol canceled the PB tour. Capitol expected the new album to sell as much and as fast as Licensed To Ill. It sold 500,000 copies by the time "Shadrach" was released as a single, but when that was considered a failure, they decided that a tour wasn't necessary. There were only a small handful of shows they did after PB came out, most of which were in L.A.

I remember hearing the original plan was to start touring when the album went platinum, that of course didn't happen until years later.

• If they were black they would be highly revered by most for their body of work. What crew before them picked up instruments and accompanied themselves as a funk band? I'll give them credit where credit is due.

F this "reverse racism" claim. If they were black they wouldn't have crossed over because indie rock and white college kids wouldn't feel "okay" listening to them.

first i want to say that the term "reverse racism" makes no sense. there is no reverse racism, its just racism. reverse racism would mean that only one race of people can be racists and if you don't like the racists, then that's reverse racism? its just racism. i don't mean to offend.

that being said, i've always been a beasties fan but can see why people weren't or aren't. the first time i heard them was the rock hard 12" on def jam. i have all the original crimson def jams 12s (sans 1) and cookie puss on rat cage too. i always buy their shit just to keep up the collection but i really haven't gotten "into" them since ill communication. those dudes know breaks and frankly, they're legendary and have given alot to music in general.

• what has happened to mike d? it looks like he has aged about 30 years in the past little while.

• I remember hearing the original plan was to start touring when the album went platinum, that of course didn't happen until years later.

That sounds accurate. I remember hearing about the album being certified gold, but then sales slowed down and never picked up. The album would eventually sell under Capitol's 'Pricebusters' line or whatever their equivalent of the "Nice Price" stickering was, which meant that it was close to being a cutout. Then Capitol found success in MC Hammer and the Beastie Boys were no longer their major trophy prize.

It could have been Mellow Man Ace, for all we know.