I never liked the BEASTIE BOYS

Comments

• retarded isn't a place, its a state of mind.

What did you do to make a picture of yourself in 10 years? Photoshop?

• maybe they are a "you had to be there" band.

mos definitely - when was check your head - '91 ?????

i liked 'em when i liked 'em, and now i dont. tastes change BIG time. but what i wanna know is, who was DIGGING for records that those dudes were sampling back in the pauls/check your head era? i think there were a lot of guys on SS still BMXing skating, whatever, and certainly not 'crate digging' stuff the beasties/dust bros were making tracks with.

looking back they were the perfect stepping stone kinda group, and once you got into the whole "where did they get THAT from????" sample chasing thing, it was on.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    sub-tepid "funk" band crap.

careful, you just walked into a room full of 19yr olds whose formative influences are RHCP & BB.

---

retarded isn't a place, its a state of mind.

10 years?

Shit...like, right now. That's why my beard days are over. Shit looks like I fell asleep face down in a bowl of white-out.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    retarded isn't a place, its a state of mind.

that is a fucking sweet beard. I like the whole salt-and-pepper style, my fucking beard gets ginger when it grows out, what a fucking rip-off.

I met that dude once. (MCA not cartman idjut). He was stoned. go figure.

i have a funny feeling that a lot of the fellas reading this thread cant grow a beard...

• Beastie Boys in their prime were dope. License to Ill > Pauls Boutique > Check Your Head > Ill COmmunication was a nice string of nice albums. To criticize them for their (cross-over) audience is just dumb.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I never liked the BB either, LtoI is what the jocks & date rapists in my high school listened to, in college the later albums are what lefty wigger goatee-sporting dingleberries were into.

"Don't Be a Faggot" led to the guilty overcompensation of "Free Tibet"

---

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The Beasties changed the game.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    beards are rad.

Oh, do tell...

• retarded isn't a place, its a state of mind.

10 years?

Shit...like, right now. That's why my beard days are over. Shit looks like I fell asleep face down in a bowl of white-out.

• If they were black they would be highly revered by most for their body of work. What crew before them picked up instruments and accompanied themselves as a funk band? I'll give them credit where credit is due.

One of the dumbest things said on SS in a long time. I like the first two albums though. After that not so much.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Beastie Boys in their prime were dope. License to Ill > Pauls Boutique > Check Your Head > Ill COmmunication was a nice string of nice albums. To criticize them for their (cross-over) audience is just dumb.
    b-b-but how else will soulstrut criticize things it doesnt like?
    13 year old girls are how we know whether or not something is

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Very few people can pull off having a beard. I couldn't do it. My face is too round. The dude that did my tattoo was a little frenchman that a goatee that was like 6 inches long. It looked pretty cool.

the worst is when dudes go bald and then grow a beard to compensate. as if people will develop "upside-down-vision". But then again, I have seen some dudes rock this and it actually looks kinda cool. I guess you have to be special to pull it off.

I'm terrified of going bald. I already have a steadily growing forehead. eegads. at least i'm not losing it too much in the back yet.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Oh, do tell...

We've been here before. Really, there weren't many records around as musically dense and diverse as "Paul's Boutique" at the time it dropped. PE's records at a push, but that was it. They were using shit the Bomb Squad hadn't thought of touching, to the extent that, according to legend, the Bomb Squad had two or three copies of "PB" at the studio when they were doing "Fear Of A Black Planet" and the Son Of Bazerk & YBT albums. Their emceeing skills are another matter, but "Paul's Boutique" was a landmark record for hip-hop production.

i can grow a nice beard. but it will look just like MCA's over there and I'm not ready for that salt and pepper look. but i could really something to cover my terrible double chin.

a*l*x that just for men stuff will make your pillow look like you've been on a cleveland steamer binge.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I dye my hair.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    im a big fan of them especially the first three lp's. altought the first one sounds somewhat dated now. pauls botique is one of my all time fave lp's of any genre. now i can't say that about many hip hop lp's. plus shadrach 12" is the shit.

i hear what people are sayin' about there voices and rhymes, but they aint that bad. their voices are no worse than the likes of milk or shy d. theres plenty of rappers with questioable voices who make decent and listenable lp's

i don't own all there lp's some of them did just tread them same ground when they brodened their appeal to the indie croud.

i went to see them when they had just released " check your head " and its still is one of the best live shows ive ever been too.

The [production on the] Beasties [second record] changed the game.

Oh, do tell...

We've been here before. Really, there weren't many records around as musically dense and diverse as "Paul's Boutique" at the time it dropped. PE's records at a push, but that was it. They were using shit the Bomb Squad hadn't thought of touching, to the extent that, according to legend, the Bomb Squad had two or three copies of "PB" at the studio when they were doing "Fear Of A Black Planet" and the Son Of Bazerk & YBT albums. Their emceeing skills are another matter, but "Paul's Boutique" was a landmark record for hip-hop production.

I'm sorry was all that about the Beastie Boys or the Dust Brothers? Anyways, I fixed your first statement to reflect some reality.

I dye my hair.

Not becuase it's greying though. Just to be hot.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    let's face it
    paul's boutique was a fluke
    [i can only listen to the instumental version which i don't have]
    if it wasn't for the dust brothers or mario that lp would have sucked as well
    i could never get beyond their horrible voices and lack of flow
    shit grates on me like fingernails on a blackboard

Me too--I have always found them absolutely loathsome.

Love the production on Paul's Boutique, and I wish that they had retired just prior to rendering those tracks virtually unlistenable.

It was hilarious a few years back when dudes on here were turning mental somersaults trying to justify to themselves how these dudes were somehow better or different from Northern State. They never meant schitt to me.

Oh, do tell...

I'm sorry was all that about the Beastie Boys or the Dust Brothers? Anyways, I fixed your first statement to reflect some reality.

Well, that wasn't my statement, but whatev.

I wouldn't want to assume that the production on "Paul's Boutique" was solely the work of the Dust Brothers. Your mileage may vary. Nevertheless, to argue the toss over such details, or whether or not you need to change the game on your first record to be declared to have officially Changed The Game is to enter hair-splitting territory. All I know is that hip-hop records began to sound pretty different once people had got their heads around "Paul's Boutique". The more vigorous Beasties cheerleadering I'll leave to others, but I'll ride for that album.

• Their emceeing skills are another matter, but "Paul's Boutique" was a landmark record for hip-hop production.
    This was my point. There emceeing has always sounded like three white dudes. They have never tried to hide from it or tried to over compensate for it. That is their style. Obviously, not everybody likes that style. All this hyper PC shit is getting old.

I wouldn't want to assume that the production on "Paul's Boutique" was solely the work of the Dust Brothers.

Really? It begs the question of why that record stands alone in their discography. CYH is a cluster fuck of "styles" and IC is a tepid CYH 2. everything after that is embarassing.

"in sound from way out" which was there only funk album. That stuff is just classic.

have you had any luck finding eddie harris records in your local dollarbin?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Oh, do tell...

Well, that wasn't my statement, but whatev.

I wouldn't want to assume that the production on "Paul's Boutique" was solely the work of the Dust Brothers. Your mileage may vary. Nevertheless, to argue the toss over such details, or whether or not you need to change the game on your first record to be declared to have officially Changed The Game is to enter hair-splitting territory. All I know is that hip-hop records began to sound pretty different once people had got their heads around "Paul's Boutique". The more vigorous Beasties cheerleadering I'll leave to others, but I'll ride for that album.

They brought a whole lot of Caucasoids to the culture after the first album.

I wouldn't want to assume that the production on "Paul's Boutique" was solely the work of the Dust Brothers.

Really? It begs the question of why that record stands alone in their discography. CYH is a cluster fuck of "styles" and IC is a tepid CYH 2. everything after that is embarassing.

Actually doing something different on each of your records is the kind of thing a lot of acts talk about doing, but very few ever actually manage. I take your point about "Ill Communication" being "Check Your Head Redux" and it being downhill all the way from that point, and I don't want to make too big a deal of this than I have already, but for me, they earned their stripes.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    the whole born again buddism trip is sickening
    do they realize the CIA has always backed the dali lama?

they went from "skirt chasin' and freebasein'....

and calling people "faggot" to
    ....apologizing 12 years after the fact??
    how trite

i will give them props only for hiring the dust brothers,having good taste in american black soul/funk music and putting out Grand Royal magazine.

• magpiemagpie 160 Posts
    putting out Grand Royal magazine.

and their videos were the best thing about them

• I wouldn't want to assume that the production on "Paul's Boutique" was solely the work of the Dust Brothers.

you're trippin...the beastie boys are pioneers. their first four albums are CLASSIC. PB & CYH are groundbreaking.

Yeah I said it.