NBA 2007/Second Half/Do The Math

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I'm loyal to players that I enjoy watching and whose personal stories move me.

You have yet to offer a reason for why this set of reasons is inferior to the colors of the unis they wear or who cuts their check.

And then you'll explain what the difference is between your reasons for being a fan and those who you call "Dirk Riders"??

You just wanted to stir some shit......and it's made you look pretty lame(imo).

Shit....you won't even admit who the players you follow are.

Afraid some asshole might throw that juvenile Dirk Rider shit back at you??

Rock, in seriousness, why are you getting so worked up?

I have no problem with your model of fandom.

And "Dirk Riders" is just jokes. Nothing to get asshurt about.

It's all good here.....I'm getting worked up the same way Harvey gets you worked up....

I'm laughing on every post.

People who are laughing as they post do not double/triple up on the punctuation marks (???; !!!)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm a one fingered typist.....each ! is a guffaw.

The only thing funnier would be if you were debating Psych music with me.

And seriously.....who are the players who have touched your soul???

• Am I going to doggedly hold to an outmoded model of fandom that no longer makes sense given that that is now the reality? No.

but there's just no way you'd be a knicks fan if you didn't at least buy into it to some extent

Am I going to doggedly hold to an outmoded model of fandom that no longer makes sense given that that is now the reality? No.

but there's just no way you'd be a knicks fan if you didn't at least buy into it to some extent

Well, you kind of got me there--I'll admit that the history of the franchise and a lot of the things that it symbolizes do appeal to me, regardless of the roster.

But I do also remain a huge fan of Steph (save it, Rock).

Dude....like I didn't know he was one of your fantastic four....

Denver and the Lakers are pretty obvious as well...

I just can't put my finger on the Sun?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Easy.

The Answer (Denver)
    Mamba (Los Angeles)
    The Canadian (Phoenix)
    Starbury (New York)

That about right?

• And seriously.....who are the players who have touched your soul???

Easy.

The Answer (Denver)
    Mamba (Los Angeles)
    The Canadian The Freak (Phoenix)
    Starbury (New York)

That about right?

Dude....like I didn't know he was one of your fantastic four....

Denver and the Lakers are pretty obvious as well...

I just can't put my finger on the Sun?

Actually, in the case of Phoenix I just really like the whole team and the type of ball they play. But I do particularly like Amare.

Easy.

The Answer (Denver)
    Mamba (Los Angeles)
    Starbury (New York)

That about right?

Wait, is that Amare's nickname? If so, that would be very suitable.

• And seriously.....who are the players who have touched your soul???

Easy.

The Answer (Denver)
    Mamba (Los Angeles)
    Starbury (New York)

That about right?

No. He's just freakishly talented and physically gifted. So that's what I call him.

• I just feel real lucky that my favorite player, Jose Juan Barea, plays for my favorite team. It's great how it can work out that way at times.

Easy.

The Answer (Denver)
    Mamba (Los Angeles)
    Starbury (New York)

That about right?

What I find most amazing about this list is that three of them ranked #'s 2, 3 & 4 in a 2002 Nickelodeon Network "Who's Your Favorite Basketball Player" survey.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

IT'S STAT

STANDING
    TALL
    AND
    TALENTED

Easy.

The Answer (Denver)
    Mamba (Los Angeles)
    Starbury (New York)

That about right?

What I find most amazing about this list is that three of them ranked #'s 2, 3 & 4 in a 2002 Nickelodeon Network "Who's Your Favorite Basketball Player" survey.

Validated at last!

IT'S STAT

STANDING
    TALL
    AND
    TALENTED

Also "Black Jesus" (And I know Rock is gonna call foul on that one)

Also "Black Jesus" (And I know Rock is gonna call foul on that one)

Mr. Monroe may be the only player in history to have BOTH his nicknames copied.

I wish Black Jesus Amare a better career and life than Earl "The Pearl" Washington

Easy.

The Answer (Denver)
    Mamba (Los Angeles)
    Starbury (New York)

That about right?

Validated at last!

Of course Shaq was #1 because all the fat kids voted for him!!!!

• What is there to like about Starbury? Besides the cheap shoes....Dude is a team-killer. T-Wolves coulda did some things if he'da put down roots there.

Dude is a team-killer.

The traditional concept of "Team" is obsolete.

It's all about Stats and Tats.....

Today's NBA was epitomized by Lebron this weekend....

Sat out a game due to fatigue after a late night at Score's in NYC.

What is there to like about Starbury? Besides the cheap shoes....Dude is a team-killer. T-Wolves coulda did some things if he'da put down roots there.

Coney Island's Finest. Marbury with the Minesotta jersey. Ushered in the new generation of players with blazing speed and mad game.

(footnote: '96 draft also featured Allen Iverson, Steve Nash, Derek Fisher, Pedrag Stojakavic, Antoine Walker, Jermaine O'neal, ERICK DAMPIER)

JDub @ Sacramento. (Pistol Pete reincarnated. Nobody was doing what he was doing in Sactown at the time. Single-handedly made the Kings a hot ticket. "If you don't like that, you don't like NBA basketball!")

(Pistol Pete reincarnated.

At 1:00 starts the Real......at about 2:20 you'll see the unReal.....Jason "No Look Turnover" Williams can't do this shit.....

What is there to like about Starbury? Besides the cheap shoes....Dude is a team-killer. T-Wolves coulda did some things if he'da put down roots there.

I think he probably regrets that, too, at this point.

And yes, the evidence against him is mounting, considering that the last two teams that shipped him out subsequently experienced two of the most remarkable turnarounds ever. And when he does actually sublimate himself to the team concept he's often a pretty unremarkable player.

What can I say? I have a sentimental attachment to him and the fact that he's kind of a tragic figure at this point doesn't make me like him any less. Plus, he can still be exciting to watch. And I do believe that he's tried hard in New York--I don't think you can put the failings of the franchise on him.

I also like him for representing the traditions of Coney Island ball and of NYC guards. And my affection for him was reaffirmed when he donated a million dollars to Katrina victims and then choked up at the press conference. I know you dudes scoff at that type of thing, but it means something to me.

That's cool too. But this is what my generation grew up watching.

JDub in Sactown. Jdub and Hubie Brown in Memphis = winning ball club. ENOUGH SAID.

• Speaking of NYC guards, how come my man Kenny Anderson never took it to the next level in the pros? He had a solid career, but nothing spectacular. He was spectacular at GTech though. "Lethal Weapon 3"

Watching these Jason Williams clips really takes me back. It coincides with the start of all things STREET. And1 Basketball really taking off around this time. The influx of young, athletic players making the league....Afrika Bambaataa collaborating with Nike to make this classic.......

But this is what my generation grew up watching.

I hear ya....

But mark my words....some day 25 years from now some dude is gonna be repped as the "next Kobe" and you'll be callin' bullshit too.

I hear ya....

But mark my words....some day 25 years from now some dude is gonna be repped as the "next Kobe" and you'll be callin' bullshit too.

haha. We'll just have to see. It's all love though.

I love this game.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    Speaking of NYC guards, how come my man Kenny Anderson never took it to the next level in the pros? He had a solid career, but nothing spectacular. He was spectacular at GTech though. "Lethal Weapon 3"

as i recall during a NBA on NBC doubleheader, that one game where john starks flagrant fouled kenny on the way to the rim, kenny ended up having surgery on the wrist had a screw put in and wasnt the same since.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

I hear ya....

...and I wonder if, by that point, palming the ball will even be called anymore. Maravich was straight up-and-down; he's almost awkward to watch because he's doing it correctly.

• Interested to hear some takes on this article below. I recall some KJ hatt on here not too long ago. This is clipped from www.dallasbasketball.com.....

BLOGFISH

Steve Nash - A History

ABC demonstrated remarkable restraint in landing just shy of annointing Steve Nash as the great point guard in NBA history.

Just shy.

Anchor Mike Breen closed the broadcast of Sunday afternoon's 126-104 Suns win over Dallas by terming Nash a "legend,'' and adding that it is growing increasingly more difficult to argue the point.

Maybe I've just experienced bitter-loss face, but may I try to argue the point?

DB.com reader Andrew, and the nationally-TV'ed meeting between the Mavs and the Big Balls of Hot Gas (BBHG), trigger this issue. Andrew suggests that the idea that Steve Nash is on some all-by-himself historic plateau as a point guard isn't even close to being true, and that is actually the beneficiary of playing in an era devoid of other great PGs.

On the latter point, he may be right; in terms of proven greatness at PG right now, it's Nash and Kidd and maybe Billups? And that's about it. Still, that takes nothing away from Stevie's "legendary'' status. Nor does his fine 23-point, 11-assist effort in this game. Nor does the classy manner with which he carries himself. Check out this postgame quote:

"Sometimes we play to the level of our competition. Tonight I give us high marks for energy and consistency. When we play well, no one is going to defend us well.''

Confident, but classy. All from a day when all he really needed to be better than was opposite number Jason Terry, and maybe MVP rival Dirk Nowitzki. Again, none of it takes away from the "legend'' argument.

But this might:

On the former point, as Andrew notes, the late 80's and early '90's were overflowing with people who were Nash-like in terms of talent, production and stature (Nash is an 18-point/11-assist/3-rebound guy). And the large majority of them never got an MVP sniff. For instance:

Let's try Kevin Johnson. He's not legendary, he was never an MVP candidate. But. ... check out his resume and his numbers ... KJ in his prime was a 6-1, 190-pounder who annually put up 20-point/11-assist/3-rebound seasons, was a three-time All-Star, was All-NBA second-team three times. ... Holy cow! KJ seems a mirror image of this guy we now tout as a "Greatest Player Ever'' but KJ's no legend.

Let's try. ... hmmm. ... Mark Price. I don't remember Mark Price being considered a legend, do you? Yet the 6-0, 170-pound Price during his prime was a 17-point/9-assist/3-rebound guy.

Not quite Nash, but. ... Holy cow again! Nash is just a smidge better than Mark Friggin' Price?

So forget the comparison to John Stockton (in his prime a 17-point/14-assist/3-rebound guy). Maybe Gary Payton needs to be brought up here. Maybe Timmy Hardaway, too. Definitely Isiah Thomas. And somebody oughta remember that Magic Johnson actually played the position pretty well (and won titles): Magic was a 19.5-point/11.2-assist/7.2 rebound guy. And by the way, I didn't play the "in-his-prime'' game with Magic; those numbers come through ups and downs and youthful moments and aged moments. Those numbers are his overall CAREER stats.

That's just sick -- and waaay out of Steve Nash's league.

Forgetting the rules changes that make you wonder if a Kevin Johnson today would be a 26-ppg guy. And all of this makes me wonder if we can really select Steve Nash as the back-to-back-to-back MVP when his "specialness'' as a player -- minus the media gushing and the SportsCenter love -- puts him right up there historically with Kevin Johnson and Mark Price.