Great new york rap albums, post 1997

13»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Both Masta Ace albums were good. Great?......I dont know.

Long Hot Summer was a solid "grown man rap" album.

The Grind Date too.

And I don't think it's embarrassing or misguided to include Get Rich or Die Tryin. Not a phenomenal album but impactful and it had some great singles (even the ones that got overplayed).

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Coast_hip_hop#The_Shiny_Suit_era_and_mainstream_pinnacle

Seemingly as of the start of 2007, a tide has turned with many hip hop websites and radio stations fueling the movement and the ongoing prediction of history repeating itself, the lyricism appreciation returning signifies an apparent sense of the audience finally after almost four years, becoming tired of the more pop less substance style of most southern artist and deem that the East and/or more lyrical MC's will become mainstream once again.

lol

"East Coast hip hop also tends to have slower pace beats-per-minute (90-120 Beats Per Minute) than its Southern and West Coast counterparts."

well that about as ass-backwards as you can get... west coast is slower than NY, and southern is the slowest shit of all... wow....

• I'm suprised nobody is sticking up for that 50 cent doo doo! nobody is going to admit liking this shit now?

That album is a classic... but nobody is really interested in engaging with deej's and RC's foolishness.

It's funny, those in this thread without their heads in their asses will notice that up till now I have not actually said a word about the 50 album, fauxdillz's comment notwithstanding.

but since we're talking about it: it sucks.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i'm pretty sure he was objecting to you participating in the thread at all

50's album is classic but i didn't engage with dizzybull because he's dizzybull

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    but since we're talking about it: it sucks.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

What about Pharaohe?

Thats a GREAT!!! album that goes without saying.
    FauxRillz bought the Weebefoolish 12 inch he has no argument.

Actually I'm Dizzy Bull(y) now.

Yeah but seriously, 50 Cent has become a punchline now. When soccer moms were saying "i love you like a fat kid loves cake" I guess it became a rap "Classic".

I garuntee what I consider rap classics, soccer moms don't know a single line from any of those songs.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Yeah but seriously, 50 Cent has become a punchline now. When soccer moms were saying "i love you like a fat kid loves cake" I guess it became a rap "Classic".

I garuntee what I consider rap classics, soccer moms don't know a single line from any of those songs.

dizzybully - too real for soccer moms

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

What about Pharaohe?

Thats a GREAT!!! album that goes without saying.
    FauxRillz bought the Weebefoolish 12 inch [within the past week!] he has no argument.

With great chagrin, I must cosign.

dizzybully - too real for soccer moms

well... not ALL soccer moms... your mom, for example.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    there's no WAY you spend enough time away from the soulstrut forums to do anything with anyone's mom

there's no WAY you spend enough time away from the soulstrut forums to do anything with anyone's mom

You are assuming I can't do both at the same time.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

I>Long Hot Summer/I> was a solid "grown man rap" album.

I>The Grind Date[/i] too.

Both of Masta Ace's albums were solid (I prefer Disposable Arts over Long Hot Summer though).

The Grind Date was De La's best album since Stakes Is High, IMO.

• Long Hot Summer is one of the best albums in years, a totally solid album.

Another NY album I really got into was Cage/Hells Winter, nothing like his previous material (Im glad to say) and took a lot of people who wouldn???t usualy check for Cage by surprise (myself included). Not for everyone I guess but a quality effort in my opinion.

J-Zone/Pimps don???t pay taxes, as alrealy mentioned is a very good (and original) album.

The Babbletron album was real nice too but I don???t think it made much noise.

• I thought Louis Logic/SiNaMatic was exceptionally good too (though none of my friends agree).

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Yeah I need to go back and check it to see whether my appreciation of it was influenced at all by my relief that they'd dropped the AOI series but it's definitely an excellent grown man rap album.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I'm a big fan of this one:

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

while not great, i think there are a lot of dope tracks on this one. i had it on repeat when it first came out. seemed like the first legit wu album to come out in awhile. but im not a hardcore wu-tang fan so i dont really know.

agree with a lot of the ones mentioned..

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

And I don't think it's embarrassing or misguided to include I>Get Rich or Die Tryin[/i]. Not a phenomenal album but impactful and it had some great singles (even the ones that got overplayed).

I just listened to that album yesterday. That hooks and just the swagger on that album are so dope. I let it sit on the shelf for a couple of years, skipped over most of the singles, but tracks like "Heat" and "If I Can't" sounded so nice.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Yeah I need to go back and check it to see whether my appreciation of it was influenced at all by my relief that they'd dropped the AOI series but it's definitely an excellent grown man rap album.

You'd think De La would throw together the Maseo DJ album just to bring it on home. I would think that'd be relatively easy for them to piece together with a bunch of guests, even if it ended up kinda sucking.

• Freddie Foxxx / Bumpy knuckles - "industry shakedown" or Non Phixion - "future is now"

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    oh yeah, how about:

and

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Freddie Foxxx / Bumpy knuckles - "industry shakedown"
    I still didn't get a chance to listen to the UN LP but I really liked D.O.A and Ain't No Thing.

Industry Shakedown came out the same time as M.O.P's Warriors LP and they both deserve to be in this thread.