what AGE did you make your first beat

2»

Comments

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    I was 17 and using this

and sampled this

to make some proto-drum&bass crap on 22050 Hz (until I got that awesome soundblaster card)

• 15, sampling music from kung fu movies, trying to sound like wu-tang

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    would of been 15 or so. using Hammerhead to sequence drum patterns then add sounds from my wack as hell home keyboard on Cool Edit. i used to get my fingers dusty with the Sample FAQ before it became the-breaks.com and had loads of sample clips on it. it was all about using the windows calculator to work out the lengths to loop things at. i remember trying to put loads of political audio clips over my Bomb Squad imitation beats.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    i used to get my fingers dusty with the Sample FAQ

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I just joined the force this year:

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    A few days ago, and I'm 19. There are about 2 people though that I'd be willing to share my music with right now though, and they're real world close friends of mine. I wouldn't dare post something here unless I knew it was heat.

Man walking down the street in NYC: Excuse me, how do you get to Carnegie Hall?

PRACTICE.

• i tired the pause tape thing a couple of time at age 19 circa '92, but didn't really get serious until getting my MPC-60 at age 23 in '96. First beats put out on my own little CD around 2000...since then had several beats on DeepSpace5 and crew related solo releases done proper like. but its all little dude stuff compared to some folks on here.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I was 17 and using this

I was all about scream/fast/impulse tracker back then. I was about 14.

• with turntables and a 4 track:17 with a sampler (ensoniq eps):21

• I must have been 13 or so when I got this:

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    drums at 13. turntables at 16. loops on a dr sample at 18. pc sonic foundry/sound forge/acid beats at 19. first mpc beat at 22.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Akai S-20 at 15 or so. the turntables came first through. but strictly rave music till i realized that i couldnt seperate the good from the bad. it all sounded the same for me. Moved up to 2000xl and ive been freakin that for a year now. I still love my old sampler though i can put shit together much faster on that.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Crackerbreaks in effect!

Age: 14. Some of my first beats were with drums from Crackerbeats and some other breakbeat comps that I've been meaning to post on here.

Used a sampler that was built in to Gemini mixer. Had a 4 track for a couple weeks and proceeded to make a few beats using both. From there I moved on to Sound Forge and Acid...

We should post up some old beats...

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

Used a sampler that was built in to Gemini mixer.

i remember when that thing came out. never got it though.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I did the pause tape thing in my early teens, but I didn't do it particularly well. My high school had a Korg 01/W keyboard, and I used to program beats on that (one of my first creations was a replaying of "Christmas in Hollis," which I followed up with a replaying of Donald D's "Just Suck"). They also had an old-school Wollensack reel-to-reel, and I started doing tape splicing/looping using that, which was tedious but mega-fun. They got an Ampex reel-to-reel my senior year--the "return to zero" button amazed the shit out of me.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

HELL NO.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Man, I am still rocking with that shit. It's held up surprisingly well. The sampler comes in handy.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Man, I am still rocking with that shit. It's held up surprisingly well. The sampler comes in handy.

Dude. Do you have an mp3 of "Are You Checking Your Levels"?. I've been singing that to myself for the last couple days.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

i had the gemini standalone with the memory banks, and used to record sounds at different pitches in the different banks. then i'd play them over looped drums on a four track. i kept everything in my sock drawer. I was 16 years old or so.

I got my first mac and eventually aquired deck2. that really made the sound quality so much better.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Dude. Do you have an mp3 of "Are You Checking Your Levels"?. I've been singing that to myself for the last couple days.

HAHAHAHHA, I'll check tonight... I'm pretty sure J*sh does, just as a back up plan.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

HAHAHAHHA, I'll check tonight... I'm pretty sure J*sh does, just as a back up plan.

Dude, that shit is major

...mom puts valium in your milk.

*crosses fingers*

• 20 years ago. i was 17. casio sampler over a drum machine and scratches. hip hop kids.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    15, but I was trying to make house.

• 14 i think, it was 1993 when I started fiddling with ProTracker on the amiga, although my first works were hardcore techno.

in 1995 (age 16) i helped an mc friend (perth trio skippy2smooth for all the ol school australian heads!) who i knew through martial arts loop up some beats so he had something to write on before going to the studio.

in late 97 (age 18) i began writing my own beats and in 1999 had one of my beats used on a CD project with a mate cutting over the top.

but i agree with everyone's thoughts on kids (and that's not just an age thing, but people in general) these days not paying their dues. it's too easy to write music nowadays and just "get it out there". in theory, the notion that plenty of people are getting creative and producing music is an exciting one, but when they're all using presets and the same old drums and ideas, it gets tired really fast.

PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE RELEASING THEIR FIRST EFFORTS AT MUSIC PRODUCTION.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

HELL NO.

Come on Dizz...

Actually, my mixer was this:

Ours just had a sampler on it...