SoulStrutRadio?

stilldigginstilldiggin 223 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
After reading this thread http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=812963&an=0&page=0#Post812963I thought about this idea: A radio station on Sirius/XM shared by strutter. Everyone could have an hour or two a week to play/talk about whatever they want. There are 168 hours in a week so this would be enough time for alot of people. What do people think? Maybe this could really happen? Probably not for a long time but it does seem possible. Lets try to figure out what the cost would be and how one could go about finding info about somthing like this. Drop your Knowledge!

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'll take an hour!

But only if I can play Todd Terry's Back to the Beat over and over again on every show.

• This is really not a bad idea.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i'm down to contribute.. time and maybe some $

• I'll take an hour!

But only if I can play Todd Terry's Back to the Beat over and over again on every show.
    you can play whatever you want, at least that would be the(my) idea.
    I would hope that everyone would be open to anything.
    Even letting people have their 1 hour of silly BS if thats what they want to do.
    I want to know how much this would cost. I cant find info anywhere.

• I'll take an hour!

Even letting people have their 1 hour of silly BS if thats what they want to do.

I'm not sure that satellite radio is the same as leased access cable tv in that anyone can have a station/show as long as they pay for it. My friend used to work for Sirius and I think all the stations are produced by Sirius, in their offices.

• I'll take an hour!

I'm not sure that satellite radio is the same as leased access cable tv in that anyone can have a station/show as long as they pay for it. My friend used to work for Sirius and I think all the stations are produced by Sirius, in their offices.
    these are the things to find out. You should talk to your friend to find out more info. Im am very interested to know how this all works, even tho it will probably never happen. It is a really good idea. We would have listeners, promotional tools, and material already so it would be very different that starting anthing else. Maybe a proposal is the right direction, and not just tinking that we could pay to play.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Forget sirius or xm, can we just get like a basic ass shoutcast streaming of mixes. something with a rotation that can be played like 24/7.

Seriously.. it's very easy to setup.

- spidey

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yeah I'm not sure Sirius would immediately jump at having a bunch of record nerds and DJs have their own nationally broadcast station. But I do think it'd be a great idea to have SoulStrut online radio, there are more than enough people here to fill up that airtime. Could do something where most of the day it's pre-recorded mixes and whatnot, and then have a primetime spot that's live.

Also, each mix or show should be parsed out into a podcast. I am down.

• Forget sirius or xm, can we just get like a basic ass shoutcast streaming of mixes. something with a rotation that can be played like 24/7.

Seriously.. it's very easy to setup.

- spidey
    i was waiting for this to be said.
    I think that would be a great idea. I would still like to see the the two compared.
    The main thing is that sirius is about to have millions of listeners and growing.
    I guess shoutcasts are huge now and growing also.
    one thing about shoutcasts is they dont advertise therselves.

got to go to work be back later tonight. Can organized things like this really happen? Or is a pipe dream?

Well, the bottom line is XM and SIRIUS channels are hard to get on. They're maintained by those parent companys, and aren't really open to a bunch of collectros. They're looking for that OPRAH MONEY.

Shoutcast is a lot easier available, the only downside is somebody has to take the time to dedicate a computer as a server to host the stream, or we'd have to pay a hosting service to host for us. Considering we have about 80 lurkers at any given point we're going to need a server that can handle alot of users.

I have a spare computer I can donate to the project. I just can't spare the loss of internet speed.

- spidey

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    this is a great idea. I think there would have to be some limitations tho. Im not sure what, yet.

Fucking great idea!

Yeah yeah, of course we already have that, this is just a Rotating playlist version of that. That we can add Live sets too, and keep the most current mixes on a rotation. Much easier to the casual listener.

- spidey

• is a shoutcast different from an internet radio station? the idea of various strutters doing a 24/7 (or whenever someones avail to "man the server") intronecht live stream is pretty sweet.... so many of us are sitting on beaucoup piles of great trakx and are inclined to turning heads on to them. this really should be doable, theres tons of lame internet stations, ours would kick their asses....??!?!?!

• yes. good idea. down for some money or time, or whatever....kinda short on the latter thing, tho.

and, i think silly bs hour is a must.

• we raised over 6 figures for katrina - we can pull this off.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'd like to use these guys as a model, as they've been doing this for a long time and do a great job of it:

http://www.wefunkradio.com/

is a shoutcast different from an internet radio station?

No, shoutcast is Winamps way to do internet broadcasting.

the idea of various strutters doing a 24/7 (or whenever someones avail to "man the server") intronecht live stream is pretty sweet..

Not sure how intricate you could be with live shows through shoutcast.

this really should be doable, theres tons of lame internet stations, ours would kick their asses....??!?!?!

I agree, now let's see what captain raj has to say about all this.

- spidey

• peace, stein. . .

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I want Tuesdays and Thursdays 7pm to 8pm.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I'd like to use these guys as a model, as they've been doing this for a long time and do a great job of it:

http://www.wefunkradio.com/

um, they are cool but soulstrut starting a college radio station would be

• I would definitely do an hour or three.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I dig this idea. Lemme know what I can do to help/organize.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    After reading this thread http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=812963&an=0&page=0#Post812963
    I thought about this idea: A radio station on Sirius/XM shared by strutter.
    Everyone could have an hour or two a week to play/talk about whatever they want.
    There are 168 hours in a week so this would be enough time for alot of people.

What do people think?
    Maybe this could really happen?
    Probably not for a long time but it does seem possible.
    Lets try to figure out what the cost would be and how one could go about finding info about somthing like this.
    Drop your Knowledge!

I typed up everything you would need to do to set up a streaming shoutcast server and the problems that you would face in doing so. Unfortunately after doing so I got

The form you have submitted is no longer valid.

So maybe tomorrow I'll feel like typing all that again - or ask specific questions.

You need to start by figuring out what sound quality you want and how many listeners you would expect to have and then find someone to supply the bandwidth. Cable/DSL won't cut it for something like this..

• I talked to the guy Hans who runs/helps run http://www.beyondthebeatgeneration.com/ He says that it can be very expencive to run a shoutcast station. I think the first thing to do is find out how much the cost is, how many people are interested, and what each person would have to pay an hour. Most stations take donations, i think we could probably start there. If we take donations we have to go through with it, no fakin'. Plannig is the most important part of starting any new project of this magnitude. Im glad everyone is so enthusiastic about this idea. Im proud! I hope this will really happen, it seems like a great step in the right direction for all of us. So what now? Who? What? Where? When? How?

p.s. can i get that copyright?

I may or may not be starting a new mini production studio here in Vegas. So, I might be able to host a dedicated server out of it. I build computers everyday so that aint a thing. If Raj doesn't want to take on the burden of building this thing. I can personaly volunteer to help get this Idea running.

- Spidey

http://somafm.com/support/

I'm not really about a PAY station, however I think SOMA is on the right track. Donations and voluntary subscription.

- Diego

• Spidey, explain to everyone exactly how the seting-up process will work. What is the technology involved? What are the choices? How much will it cost per month? Any other topics that need to be discussed. I don't know much about this kind of stuff. I am reading and trying to find more info about it, but im not sure what to look for. Whats the next(first) step. Anyone else is allowed to chime in on this DROP KNOWLEDGE!

big thing gon happen soon.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Shoutcast is not a bad platform for an occasional show if the hosting can be sorted out without some poor sap taking all the bandwidth costs. Straight donations rather than password-for-access is probably the way to go. If you go to a subscription model you open up all sorts of commercial issues revolving around playout. The streams could be limited to a couple of hundred simultaneous connections and you'd maybe only need a few hours of daily programming which could be repeated. Cool idea.

Sirius is all produced in-house but they do look at other radio 'brands' and if they're getting an audience they either replicate them or just pull them into the family.

• question/idea: So we get 80 or so strutters give them each a "playlist," two hours long, that they can change however they want. Or they can broadcast live during their weekly spot. The playlists would then rotate, and could be set on a scedual. This would give people alot of freedom in how they can opperate their own playlist. You could be able to build and change things during the time leading up to your spot. If dudes don't change their material after 2 or 3 times we can just AUCTION off the spot.
    I am begining to think there are 80 people willing to fork over 5-20$$ a month, no problem. That would be 400-1600 $$ a month. is that the right ball park on the funds?

• the_jthe_j 49 Posts

I'd be on for contributing.

Make it happen.