SoulStrutRadio?

2»

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This is an awesome idea. Unfortuanetly my time is limited these days due to domesticated lifestyles.

I do heartily endorse somebody starting a shoutcast (or whatever) and using the Soul Strut tastemaker's stamp of apporoval. I would even be interested in doing a show as well. But setting it all up sounds like it would be very time consuming and expensive. Somebody run with this and keep me in the loop!

• and for the Macheads you can just use the latest version of Garageband as it's all pre-setup for making podcasts.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    question/idea: So we get 80 or so strutters give them each a "playlist," two hours long, that they can change however they want. Or they can broadcast live during their weekly spot. The playlists would then rotate, and could be set on a scedual. This would give people alot of freedom in how they can opperate their own playlist. You could be able to build and change things during the time leading up to your spot. If dudes don't change their material after 2 or 3 times we can just AUCTION off the spot.
    I am begining to think there are 80 people willing to fork over 5-20$$ a month, no problem. That would be 400-1600 $$ a month. is that the right ball park on the funds?

Here are some bandwidth prices:

64kbs stream x 20 listeners = $23 per month
    64kbs stream x 40 listeners = $46 per month
    128kbs stream x 20 listeners = $69 per month
    128kbs stream x 40 listeners = $92 per month

I'd suggest a 128kbs stream. The podcasts/mixes that you guys upload here are usually 192kbs and higher. 64kbs is somewhat standard but it's still weak sauce.
    You also want to start lower and upgrade as you reach capacity.

Whoever hosts the server obviously needs to have a server.. a simple box would cost anywhere from $400-$600 so that's some upfront cost.. not too bad.

The person hosting the server also needs SOLID upstream bandwidth. DSL is not good for streaming. You need about double the upstream bandwidth for overhead in streaming.. so at least 256kbs upload minimum, preferably 384kbs to 512kbs would be better and allow for further upgrades. Also the person hosting the server should not also be running bit torrents all the time or hosting other servers and otherwise eating up bandwidth.. it needs to be somewhat dedicated. I'd suggest perhaps giving the hosting person $20-$30 each month to maybe upgrade their bandwidth to the next level if they don't have something solid.

So you are probably looking at $150-$200 a month once you get a server box. Of course if 500 lurkers want to listen but don't want to donate, then you will have issues.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Someone with FIOS maybe?

2 Mbps up speed for 40 bucks a month.

• question/idea: So we get 80 or so strutters give them each a "playlist," two hours long, that they can change however they want. Or they can broadcast live during their weekly spot. The playlists would then rotate, and could be set on a scedual. This would give people alot of freedom in how they can opperate their own playlist. You could be able to build and change things during the time leading up to your spot. If dudes don't change their material after 2 or 3 times we can just AUCTION off the spot.
    I am begining to think there are 80 people willing to fork over 5-20$$ a month, no problem. That would be 400-1600 $$ a month. is that the right ball park on the funds?

Here are some bandwidth prices:

64kbs stream x 20 listeners = $23 per month
    64kbs stream x 40 listeners = $46 per month
    128kbs stream x 20 listeners = $69 per month
    128kbs stream x 40 listeners = $92 per month

I'd suggest a 128kbs stream. The podcasts/mixes that you guys upload here are usually 192kbs and higher. 64kbs is somewhat standard but it's still weak sauce.
    You also want to start lower and upgrade as you reach capacity.

Whoever hosts the server obviously needs to have a server.. a simple box would cost anywhere from $400-$600 so that's some upfront cost.. not too bad.

The person hosting the server also needs SOLID upstream bandwidth. DSL is not good for streaming. You need about double the upstream bandwidth for overhead in streaming.. so at least 256kbs upload minimum, preferably 384kbs to 512kbs would be better and allow for further upgrades. Also the person hosting the server should not also be running bit torrents all the time or hosting other servers and otherwise eating up bandwidth.. it needs to be somewhat dedicated. I'd suggest perhaps giving the hosting person $20-$30 each month to maybe upgrade their bandwidth to the next level if they don't have something solid.

So you are probably looking at $150-$200 a month once you get a server box. Of course if 500 lurkers want to listen but don't want to donate, then you will have issues.
    spideys got the server, homebase, or whatever. He says he will dontate that to the project. I wouldn't want to use the 64kbs that shit is garbage.

So this sound more and more possible. What next??

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm back.. for some reason my cable company decided to ban me from soulstrut. Also, the other sites I go to often including labcabin. hahaha so proxy-strut.

Shoutcast is an easy process. Any of us could stream a radio station off our own computer. A server is just a dedicated computer. Doesn't have to be ultra-fast, however so we can stream at a better quality and to a maximum amount of listeners it needs to have a decent connection speed. Since we're not opening multiple streams we can dedicate it all to having 1 station and host something like a 320kbs stream. The shoutcast service is free. I got a ton of spare computer parts laying around here. That I can turn into a linux box, but if you guys would like to donate to this project we can get a lean mean server.

So the next step would be for me to find some good internet speed at the office.

I'd suggest perhaps giving the hosting person $20-$30 each month to maybe upgrade their bandwidth to the next level if they don't have something solid.

You're about right there man. I'm going to check with some isps and get back to you all.

- spidey

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is there payola?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    hahaha... No, but we will need to figure out a solution for licensing.

- spidey

• what about a podcast on a regular basis? that seems to be the way things are going, havent listend to a shoutcast for years, and it seems it would me much easier to do hosting/download wise.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I would be down to throw so vinyl around.