great songs that only exist as live recordings

2»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Interesting... I was just listening to the 45 the other day, it didn't even occur to me that it wasn't on an LP...

This one, as shown on the Funky 16 Corners blog?

MP3 please?

Not to be master of the obvious,
    but it does say from Atco LP 33-386
    on the left side of the label -

Atco 33-386 AKA Donny Hathaway Live 

• Not to be master of the obvious,
    but it does say from Atco LP 33-386
    on the left side of the label -

Atco 33-386 AKA Donny Hathaway Live 

And there you go, mystery solved. The single, judging from the length, seems to be an edit of the album version. Again, more obvious, but hey.

• Ah, here's one that we've overlooked: James Brown's "There Was A Time," which was originally part of a marathon medley on the second Live At The Apollo album. (The version on the later Sex Machine LP is live as well.)

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

- spidey

• "We've Only Just Begun"

i'm pretty sure ^this^ exists as a studio recording

i'll vote for "Joao Sabino" by Gilberto Gil, and most of the songs from his 1974 live album

also how about "Don't be Denied" and most of the songs from the Neil Young LP "Time Fades Away"

• Well I'm not sure its a great Neil Young song but Sea Of Madness by CSN&Y (especially the version at Big Sur) is pretty good and it never got released as a studio version.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Ah, here's one that we've overlooked: James Brown's "There Was A Time," which was originally part of a marathon medley on the second Live At The Apollo album. (The version on the later Sex Machine LP is live as well.)

I am almost positive that the 45 version of TWAT is studio. No crowd noise to my knowledge.

• Well I'm not sure its a great Neil Young song but Sea Of Madness by CSN&Y (especially the version at Big Sur) is pretty good and it never got released as a studio version.

I've heard a studio outtake of it on a bootleg, and it was okay but I too know the song as a live cut. I like the one that's on the "Woodstock" soundtrack.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    John Lennon- Give Peace a Chance

Jimi Hendrix- Wild Thing

I've heard a studio outtake of it on a bootleg, and it was okay but I too know the song as a live cut. I like the one that's on the "Woodstock" soundtrack.

Been awhile since I picked up any bootleg stuff of this nature but I'm not surprised to hear its finally seen the light of day....thanks for the heads-up.

• Ah, here's one that we've overlooked: James Brown's "There Was A Time," which was originally part of a marathon medley on the second Live At The Apollo album. (The version on the later Sex Machine LP is live as well.)

I am almost positive that the 45 version of TWAT is studio. No crowd noise to my knowledge.

That's because the single cuts into the middle and fades before the crowd has a chance to applaud. Remember, on the album it came smack dab in the middle of a continuous medley...on the album it runs like this:

- "Let Yourself Go"
    which has a coda where the band vamps on a minor chord while JB adlibs...he starts singing about all the dances he does...this is the song we know as
    - "There Was A Time"
    on the 45, it fades right after the line "you can bet you haven't seen nothin' yet till you seen me do the James Brown," but on the album it keeps going and JB gets a crowd singalong on "Hey hey..."
    - "I Feel All Right"
    which soon leads into
    "Cold Sweat."

Hope that breakdown made sense. During the "There Was A Time" portion, the crowd noise is faint (you can hear mild yells when he shoutouts his hometown of Augusta, GA).

• And while I'm talking about great songs that are only available in live versions that were hits and cut off before we hear any crowd applause..."Do Your Thing" by the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band.

• John Handy-Spanish Lady

• macacamacaca 278 Posts

etc

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Boy, I'd love a copy of that Billy Wooten.

Is "Message From The Soul Sisters" all the way live, as they say?

• Is "Message From The Soul Sisters" all the way live, as they say?

The crowd noise on that track sounds canned, to me.

• Lotta great live-only tracks in the RCI Transcription series... couple off the top...

Pierre LeDuc "Soya"

Pierre Nadeau "Consuelo"

Sure more will come to mind....

"Root Down (and Get It)"... just had ta say it...

Duderonomy

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Dead Kennedys - Pull My Strings

The Youngbloods - Josiane

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    There's a great McDonald & Giles LP that was recorded live on an 8track at a festival. Sound quality is poor, but the music is hot-face-melting-fire.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    There's a great McDonald & Giles LP that was recorded live on an 8track at a festival. Sound quality is poor, but the music is hot-face-melting-fire.
    King Crimson "Peoria", from "Earthbound":

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nlyla

Also dusty/fire and sort of McDonald & Giles-related. They're not on this particular album, though.

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    The Who - Heaven And Hell

Sun Electric - An Atom Of All Suns

Rammellzee & Shockdell At The Amphitheatre

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Nice thread.

Suprised nobody's mentioned Kool & The Gang 'N.T'

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I'll add these:

-"New World Symphony"-Earth, Wind, and Fire
    -"Little Groove Maker Me Parts 1 and 2"-James Brown (I think it only exists as a live recording)

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    m_dejean said:
    King Crimson "Peoria", from "Earthbound":

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2nlyla

Also dusty/fire and sort of McDonald & Giles-related. They're not on this particular album, though.
    Dammit, I was thinking of Earthbound  

• Re: decade-old There Was A Time discussion upthread:

The most monstrous version of this song, to me. When I heard this on a 90s issue CD and looked back for previous recordings it basically sounded like a completely different tune. This one, the drums... what. It's like the band invented drum and bass in 1968.

Then there's the early-80s Prince and Michael Jackson live performance of T.W.A.T... also a melter (but not released as a record).

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

"Seven Bridges Road"...By The Eagles