great songs that only exist as live recordings

macacamacaca 278 Posts
edited July 2016 in Music Talk
i'll get the ball rolling...stark reality - "acting, thinking, feeling"

Comments

• yvonne fair - let your hair down

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Beatles "Soldier of Love" (Arthur Alexander cover live on BBC)

Curtis "We've Only Just Begun"

• Wilson Pickett - "Engine No. 9 / Get me Back On Time"

• macacamacaca 278 Posts

ok, i'll add another:
    gary bartz - "i've known rivers"

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    buddy guy "out of sight"

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    This may be a stupid question. Is What'd I Say a fake live track?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

ok, i'll add another:
    gary bartz - "i've known rivers"
    i love this song more than life itself

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i'll get the ball rolling...
    stark reality - "acting, thinking, feeling"

I'm pretty sure there's a 3-part studio version of this song on the double pack CD edition of "Now".

Do cover versions count? If so, I'd like to nominate Donny Hathaway's live version of "Jealous Guy". Essential.

• Wilson Pickett - "Engine No. 9 / Get me Back On Time"

This song was not recorded live.

Yes, it was from an album called Wilson Pickett In Philadelphia, but they meant in a Philadelphia studio, not a concert hall.

• This may be a stupid question. Is What'd I Say a fake live track?

The hit version was not recorded live. That's Ray's bandmates you hear him shouting at in mid-song, not the audience.

ALthough there are quite a few live Ray albums with this song on it, but the hit version was recorded in the studio.

• Bill Withers - "I Can't Write Left Handed"

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    i'll get the ball rolling...

I'm pretty sure there's a 3-part studio version of this song on the double pack CD edition of "Now".

Do cover versions count? If so, I'd like to nominate Donny Hathaway's live version of "Jealous Guy". Essential.

originally i was thinking cover versions shouldnt count,
    but i guess that would really narrow things down.

and

'acting, thinking, feeling' on the 2cd version of 'now' by stark reality
    is the exact same live version thats on the stones throw 101 dvd (for WGBH)
    i think the mp3 is still somewhere on montys site.

unfortunately, i dont think it was ever officially recorded.

• Mountains' Long Red - though someone has said there's a studio version of the song on some album

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

He did a studio version of that though

• Classic rock rules!

U2 - Party Girl

Grateful Dead - The Eleven

Frank Zappa - Advance Romance

'acting, thinking, feeling' on the 2cd version of 'now' by stark reality
    is the exact same live version thats on the stones throw 101 dvd (for WGBH)
    i think the mp3 is still somewhere on montys site.

unfortunately, i dont think it was ever officially recorded.

Ah. My bad. I don't have the cd, so I just assumed it was a studio version. Reminds me I have to get it soon.

OK, What about Les McCann "The Price You Have To Pay To Be Free" from the Montreux live album? I don't think there's a studio version of that one. According to jazzdisco.org, there was a studio recording of it for the "Talk To The People" album, but it was unissued. There's another live version on the "Live At Newport" comp on Cobblestone. The version on the Soul To Soul DVD is good too.

Again, I stand corrected. It's not on the S/T, Everything or Extensions. 45 only?

• For a lot of people it was done live, and while an actual live version exists, the hit version of Rare Earth's "Get Ready" was edited from the mix that wasn't actually live to begin with, other than "live in the studio". The quadraphonic mix reveals that there was no audience there, and there's also a compilation CD with the full song in proper stereo, without applause.

I always liked Faith No More's interpolation of Technotronic's "Pump Up The Jam" in "Epic" from the You Fat Bastards show.

• Richie Haven's "Freedom" from Woodstock (version of Motherless Child)

It's said that he just made up the "freedom" part on the spot, just to kill time because one of the performers hadn't shown up.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Again, I stand corrected. It's not on the S/T, Everything or Extensions. 45 only?

Interesting... I was just listening to the 45 the other day, it didn't even occur to me that it wasn't on an LP...

• Interesting... I was just listening to the 45 the other day, it didn't even occur to me that it wasn't on an LP...

This one, as shown on the Funky 16 Corners blog?

• awallawall 673 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Classic rock rules!

U2 - Party Girl

There is a studio version of this - it
    has a slightly different title:
    "Trash, Trampoline & the Party Girl"
    and is the flipside of their single
    "A Celebration" - both songs are great
    and may be the finest thing U2 ever released.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Village Callers Hector

At least, as far as I know there's no studio version, I'd be interested to hear it if there was.

• I wouldn't call it "great" - as much as I love Johnny Cash, I could easily do without this song - but the only time he ever sang or recorded "A Boy Named Sue" was on Johnny Cash At San Quentin.

Also - Sam Cooke's "If I Had A Hammer" (from Sam Cooke At The Copa).

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Yeah, the energy of the crowd is palpable in the recording. I like your analogy to Ramsey Lewis, I put the live recording of Hang On Sloopy on my wedding mix CD because it just sounds so fun.

I've always enjoyed the shouting during the fade, "Remember when we were at your house Hector? Your father said, your father said, I can't BREATHE Hector! Because you smoke too much." etc.

• NOTE: LOOKS LIKE I ACCIDENTALLY ERASED MY VILLAGE CALLERS POST WHEN I WROTE ABOUT JOHNNY CASH...SHORT VERSION: I SAID THAT THEIR HIT "HECTOR" WOULDN'T SOUND RIGHT WITH THE CROWD NOISE REMOVED, BECAUSE THE AUDIENCE IS GETTING INTO THIS SONG FROM THE MINUTE THEY HIT THE DOWNBEAT AND THAT'S PART OF THE APPEAL. SAID IT REMINDED ME OF THOSE RAMSEY LEWIS LIVE RECORDINGS LIKE "HANG ON SLOOPY" AND "THE IN-CROWD." AND THIS WAS THE ANSWER...

Yeah, the energy of the crowd is palpable in the recording. I like your analogy to Ramsey Lewis, I put the live recording of Hang On Sloopy on my wedding mix CD because it just sounds so fun.

I've always enjoyed the shouting during the fade, "Remember when we were at your house Hector? Your father said, your father said, I can't BREATHE Hector! Because you smoke too much." etc.

and don't forget: "...BUT YOU SURE ARE UGLY, HECTOR!"

• i'll get the ball rolling...

originally i was thinking cover versions shouldnt count,
    but i guess that would really narrow things down.

i'm pretty sure that is a stark reality original, Monty??

miles davis - Theme from jack johnson

could we make this a better Live than studio thread??

cus .... all over the place

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Interesting... I was just listening to the 45 the other day, it didn't even occur to me that it wasn't on an LP...

This one, as shown on the Funky 16 Corners blog?

MP3 please?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    thin lizzy -whiskey in the jar ....thats not on a studio album is it? or am i confusing that with cowboy?