What it is!: Odub, Rhino, and Dante

Comments

• OK, I went to Amazon and found out that it is the acouticky version of fairchild.

Hey, what's the deal on this Willie West two different versions
    of "Fairchild" thing? Did the song actually see commercial release
    with two different mixes/different labels?

• where is the united 8 lp ? i have heard that they recorded much more material.

• BTW who is the expert who put this thing together?

Here are the credits in the book:

Boxed set produced for release by: Matt Abels and Mason Williams
    Associate Producer: Rick Conrad
    Discographical Annotation: Reggie Collins
    Editorial Supervision: Venessa Atkins

Both Dante and Georges were thanked for supplying singles from their personal collections (sorry Georges, didn't know you were yoigotbeats)

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Both Dante and Georges were thanked for supplying singles from their personal collections (sorry Georges, didn't know you were yoigotbeats)

SOULSTRUT PERSONAE REVEALED!

I just got a notice in the mail from my local library that they are holding a copy of this behind the counter for me to checkout. It's a seven-day thing, I think. But I'm still pretty psyched.

Check with your local library. Save yourself some money.

LIBRARIANS ARE SMART.
    JRoot

PS Anyone who steals music from the library, or the radio station, has a special place in hell. Just tape it or burn it or do whatever it is you DJ people do with a dildo these days and then put it back.

• Both Dante and Georges were thanked for supplying singles from their personal collections (sorry Georges, didn't know you were yoigotbeats)

I just got a notice in the mail from my local library that they are holding a copy of this behind the counter for me to checkout. It's a seven-day thing, I think. But I'm still pretty psyched.

LIBRARIANS ARE SMART.
    JRoot

PS Anyone who steals music from the library, or the radio station, has a special place in hell. Just tape it or burn it or do whatever it is you DJ people do with a dildo these days and then put it back.

Er, isn't that still stealing music from the library?

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I asked for What It Is for Xmas and I love the damn thing. Nicely designed, pretty damn solid end to end, with a nice variety. It's certainly not meant to be the raer-greatest-funk-ever set, but rather an overview of "funky soul and rare grooves" from that time period. Does it have a bunch of well-known bookstore-funk? sure, but it's also got quite a few little gems that tickle me pink (thank you, mr. eldridge jones for 'pop popcorn children').

this would make an excellent present for someone that wanted to fill in a genre/time-period in their collection.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts

Do you consider photocopying an article from a magazine for your personal use to be "stealing from the library"? I don't. Neither do the federal copyright police.

When you check the music out of the library, you acqiure a temporary license to listen to the music, and imbedded within that license is your right to use it fairly and make a copy for your own personal use.

If you then make that copy available for downloading to the general public via peer-to-peer servers, or a nerdy internet record forum, at that point you are stealing from the artists, not from the library.

JRoot

• Both Dante and Georges were thanked for supplying singles from their personal collections (sorry Georges, didn't know you were yoigotbeats)

LIBRARIANS ARE SMART.
    JRoot

How? You're BORROWING, not BUYING, may as well make the most of it. Most college radio stations have some kind of check-out system anyway, so its' not like you're smuggling records on the sly.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    i always wondered what happened to tony alvon
    he's from philly?

One of his 3 singles on Atlantic was entitled "Philly Horse."

sexy coffe pot too but what is the 3rd?

Tony Alvon & The Belairs on Atlantic
    2543 Philly Horse / Don't Be No Drag
    2570 Stone Soul Candidate / Catch A Fox (listed as Tony Avon & The Belairs)
    2632 Sexy Coffee Pot / Boom-Boom-Boom

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Pulease, Littel Sister stuff (including Somebody's watching you) would be very obscure by anyone's standards. You never hear that shit afro oldies stations. To hear it in an old logging town on the Oregon coast was the equivalent of seeing Dolo Y at a green party meeting.

The fairchild single is a totally different and (inferior IMO) version to the acoustic version in the boxset. It has a much rougher mixer with harder drums but somehow much less funky and soulful. The acoustic version was released on the Sehorn's Farm comp from the 80s.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    where is the united 8 lp ? i have heard that they recorded much more material.

I talked to a Japanese dude last year who claimed to have been involved in some big-label reissues of old funk... he said that most of these groups have LOADS of unreleased material in the vaults that the labels have absolutely NO interest in unearthing... its just not worth it to them.

Now, when dudes like Numero or Stones Throw get their hands on the stuff, thats another matter... but I don't imagine they have any access to that which the majors already own.

• Pulease, Littel Sister stuff (including Somebody's watching you) would be very obscure by anyone's standards. You never hear that shit afro oldies stations. To hear it in an old logging town on the Oregon coast was the equivalent of seeing Dolo Y at a green party meeting.

Chicago dusties DJ Richard Pegue (last heard on WKKC-FM) has continuously played "You're The One - Part 2" in regular rotation.

(That's how ahead of his time producer Sly Stone was - that cut is from '71, but sounds like '74. I know it's just a three-year difference, but times seemingly changed quicker back then.)

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Tony Alvon & The Belairs on Atlantic
    2543 Philly Horse / Don't Be No Drag
    2570 Stone Soul Candidate / Catch A Fox (listed as Tony Avon & The Belairs)
    2632 Sexy Coffee Pot / Boom-Boom-Boom

Did you steal Dante's book!!?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I have my own discographies, my friend. I'll throw them out when Holy Scripture is revealed in tangible form.

Golden Plates of Moroni, come to us!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Pulease, Littel Sister stuff (including Somebody's watching you) would be very obscure by anyone's standards. You never hear that shit afro oldies stations. To hear it in an old logging town on the Oregon coast was the equivalent of seeing Dolo Y at a green party meeting.

Chicago dusties DJ Richard Pegue (last heard on WKKC-FM) has continuously played "You're The One - Part 2" in regular rotation.

(That's how ahead of his time producer Sly Stone was - that cut is from '71, but sounds like '74. I know it's just a three-year difference, but times seemingly changed quicker back then.)

You're a liar.

• You know, I could be wrong here but reading through all the props and gripes about this project, wouldn't it kinda suck if a big label like Rhino DID get it right? Wouldn't that, in a way be the beginning of the end?

Yeah, but I'm always holding out for the one not in the lead, pushing for the one who isn't at #1 but still making music. Fortunately, there are many variations on a good soul and funk comp, all of them good, all of them different.

To have Eddie Bo or even The Meters be a part of the oldies radio circulation... eh, maybe it's better this way. I wouldn't want any of it watered down either.

• I don't know which Little Sister cut you heard, but since they had two legitimate hit singles ("Somebody's Watching You" and "You're The One"), would they COUNT as "raer"?

Considering the frequency they pop up on eBay, definitely not RAER. An obscurity to the avid fan of "Everyday People", but far from RAER. What is of interest is the wide stereo mix of "Stanga" that is on Funk Drops 2. The original Stone Flower 45 has a narrow stereo mix, almost borderline mono. The mix on the CD is a lot more open. According to Sly folklore, he was given the Stone Flower subsidiary during the making of There's A Riot Going On[/b] because Epic was being impatient for new product, while he wanted to record and not be tied down to what was expected. The two Little Sister 45's, along with the records by 6IX and Joe Hicks, was all that came from the label, and no albums were allegedly planned. If that's the case, why the reason for a wider stereo mix? Did any of the Stone Flower material make it onto any Atlantic-related promo albums, similar to those 1970 Winter convention LP's?

Anyway, far from RAER.

• Chicago dusties DJ Richard Pegue (last heard on WKKC-FM) has continuously played "You're The One - Part 2" in regular rotation.

Much of the Kool & The Gang between 1971-1974 sound more like 1977, they never really recaptured that sound created on their first album, did they?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I don't know which Little Sister cut you heard, but since they had two legitimate hit singles ("Somebody's Watching You" and "You're The One"), would they COUNT as "raer"?

Considering the frequency they pop up on eBay, definitely not RAER. An obscurity to the avid fan of "Everyday People", but far from RAER. What is of interest is the wide stereo mix of "Stanga" that is on Funk Drops 2[/b]. The original Stone Flower 45 has a narrow stereo mix, almost borderline mono. The mix on the CD is a lot more open. According to Sly folklore, he was given the Stone Flower subsidiary during the making of There's A Riot Going On[/b] because Epic was being impatient for new product, while he wanted to record and not be tied down to what was expected. The two Little Sister 45's, along with the records by 6IX and Joe Hicks, was all that came from the label, and no albums were allegedly planned. If that's the case, why the reason for a wider stereo mix? Did any of the Stone Flower material make it onto any Atlantic-related promo albums, similar to those 1970 Winter convention LP's?

Anyway, far from RAER.

The answer to your comp question is yes. I have it. it's got a bird or hawk on the cover if I remember correctly . I just went and tried to find it but couldn't. I also have some strange Little Sister 45 pressings on repro labels; "Gold" or something like that.

Okay, I admit it is not rare but lumberjacks are not familiar with this track so perhaps we can all agree that it is obscure.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    BTW which of the stoneflower singles was the last that you found. Me it was Joe Hicks ($10 unplayed). Right after I got it a couple years back, it seemed like the price jumped drastically.

• To have Eddie Bo or even The Meters be a part of the oldies radio circulation... eh, maybe it's better this way. I wouldn't want any of it watered down either.

John, you are a fountain of musical knowledge, and I usually trust your judgement, but if you're gonna stoop so low as to let oldies radio affect how you feel about it...big mistake.

Eddie Bo and the Meters were heard on the radio regularly in 1969 (black radio, at least). Why can't "Hook & Sling" and "Sophisticated Cissy" be part of the canon now? They don't have to be overplayed like the Motown catalog is, just in rotation...

(Although by now I've heard so many bad blues bands slaughter the Meters'"Cissy Strut" that I'd just as soon be careful what I ask for...but wouldn't mind hearing the original on some local oldies outlet.)

• I don't know which Little Sister cut you heard, but since they had two legitimate hit singles ("Somebody's Watching You" and "You're The One"), would they COUNT as "raer"?

Considering the frequency they pop up on eBay, definitely not RAER. An obscurity to the avid fan of "Everyday People", but far from RAER. What is of interest is the wide stereo mix of "Stanga" that is on Funk Drops 2[/b]. The original Stone Flower 45 has a narrow stereo mix, almost borderline mono. The mix on the CD is a lot more open. According to Sly folklore, he was given the Stone Flower subsidiary during the making of There's A Riot Going On[/b] because Epic was being impatient for new product, while he wanted to record and not be tied down to what was expected. The two Little Sister 45's, along with the records by 6IX and Joe Hicks, was all that came from the label, and no albums were allegedly planned. If that's the case, why the reason for a wider stereo mix? Did any of the Stone Flower material make it onto any Atlantic-related promo albums, similar to those 1970 Winter convention LP's?

Yes.

And it wasn't a promo either, it was an anthology meant for the public.

One or both of the Little Sister hits appears on a 1972 Atlantic various-artists compilation called Heavy Soul. Their picture even appears on the inner gatefold, along with Tyrone Davis, Jackie Moore, Sam & Dave, and other soul stars who recorded for that label. (However, the photos are unidentified, which doesn't matter for the obvious superstars like Aretha, but is hellish if you've always wanted to see what the obscure people on this comp look like.)

If you're as big an Atlantic fan as I am, you've probably seen the cover to this album advertised on an inner sleeve at least...photo of an African-American female staring from inside of a rain-soaked window pane.

• (That's how ahead of his time producer Sly Stone was - that cut is from '71, but sounds like '74. I know it's just a three-year difference, but times seemingly changed quicker back then.)

Much of the Kool & The Gang between 1971-1974 sound more like 1977, they never really recaptured that sound created on their first album, did they?

I disagree. Except for some bland jazz detours here & there, the debut wasn't the only good album they did. I would definitely be the first to recommend Music Is The Message or Good Times. Can't, cain't, CANNOT hate on "funkeeeee junkeeeee!" (And no, John, I don't mean Charlie Daniels! )

For them to sound like 1977, they'd have to have a gratuitous disco beat and obnoxious thumping bass. Which they actually did in real life, when that year rolled around...

• To have Eddie Bo or even The Meters be a part of the oldies radio circulation... eh, maybe it's better this way. I wouldn't want any of it watered down either.

John, you are a fountain of musical knowledge, and I usually trust your judgement, but if you're gonna stoop so low as to let oldies radio affect how you feel about it...big mistake.

Eddie Bo and the Meters were heard on the radio regularly in 1969 (black radio, at least). Why can't "Hook & Sling" and "Sophisticated Cissy" be part of the canon now? They don't have to be overplayed like the Motown catalog is, just in rotation...

C'mon, even overplaying doesn't hurt some stuff...when i flip by an oldies station and hear the supremes, smokey, the vandellas, or marvin gaye I turn it UP. and, it hasn't diminished my love for those songs- drop some 'nowhere to run,' or 'uptight,' and watch the dancefloor swell. even after a million listens, those songs just KILL shit.

i imagine a world where all the raer soul joints are classics, and i see a beautiful place.

• i imagine a world where all the raer soul joints are classics, and i see a beautiful place.

can i get a witness? it'd be a better place, for real! just 'cause you saw some trendy Beck lookalike at the local hipster club's soul nite moshing to the Continental Showstoppers, that doesnt kill the impact of a good record.

• Okay, I admit it is not rare but lumberjacks are not familiar with this track so perhaps we can all agree that it is obscure.

not to those of us in CHICAGO listenin to my man Pegue! ok, ok, ill stop

• John, you are a fountain of musical knowledge, and I usually trust your judgement, but if you're gonna stoop so low as to let oldies radio affect how you feel about it...big mistake.

I believe we're on the same page here. I don't want Eddie Bo overplayed or anything, just put into rotation. My comment wasn't meant to say "flood the airwaves with The Meters" or music that hasn't been overplayed. I primarily play CD's in my car anyway, but in those times when I do play oldies radio, it's the same old formula, and I was basically saying that once in awhile, they should slip something...

...well, I guess that's wishful thinking, isn't it? There are times when I wish others would hear the kind of music a lot of us listen to, play, sample, chop and slice on a regular basis, and yet a part of the appeal of the music we listen to is the fact that it isn't overplayed.

The funny thing is, the only time I hear any good soul or funk on the radio is when I turn to NPR and O-Dub is doing a review of something.

I guess "wishing for something better" at this rate leads to the D.I.Y. ethic, and if I could (cueing Amy Winehouse) I would.

It's Valentine's Day, I'm bummed, my words are useless now. Forgive me pickwick, for I'm not slim.

LIBRARIANS ARE SMART.
    JRoot

How? You're BORROWING, not BUYING, may as well make the most of it. Most college radio stations have some kind of check-out system anyway, so its' not like you're smuggling records on the sly.

Borrowing from the library is how libraries work. I was asking about the "burn it" mention. It's nothing really to me...it just seemed like an odd thing to say after admonishes people stealing from the library.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

LIBRARIANS ARE SMART.
    JRoot

Borrowing from the library is how libraries work. I was asking about the "burn it" mention. It's nothing really to me...it just seemed like an odd thing to say after admonishes people stealing from the library.

Stealing from the library = bad because it deprives other people of the opportunity to borrow the item (or forces the library to incur costs in replacing it).

Burning a copy for personal use = doesn't affect the library or other prospective borrowers.

• that's a good point. i think my paying-for-music meter is set too high.

• Yes.

And it wasn't a promo either, it was an anthology meant for the public.

One or both of the Little Sister hits appears on a 1972 Atlantic various-artists compilation called Heavy Soul. Their picture even appears on the inner gatefold, along with Tyrone Davis, Jackie Moore, Sam & Dave, and other soul stars who recorded for that label. (However, the photos are unidentified, which doesn't matter for the obvious superstars like Aretha, but is hellish if you've always wanted to see what the obscure people on this comp look like.)

If you're as big an Atlantic fan as I am, you've probably seen the cover to this album advertised on an inner sleeve at least...photo of an African-American female staring from inside of a rain-soaked window pane.

I've seen the cover many times but never bothered to get it, but in the words of Ralph Tresvant, now I know better. I'll have to be on the lookout.