Getting Thru The Workday Tips (Job Related)

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited June 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
So I'm full on into the second week of my first full time job, which is going really well and I???m enjoying what I do, but I've already started planning little things into my daily schedule to pass the time...

For example:

1. Scheduling my lunch break as late as my stomach allows - I usually start doubling over at about 1 PM, so when I get back there are only 3 more hours left in the office.

2. I work literally a block from my apartment, which allows me to eat at the crib and check the mail (Sexy Moments ((Thanks RAJ)) and Songs of Experience showed up today) which gives me something to look forward to afterward. Sometimes if planned correctly (which means scarfing leftovers) I can even get in a full game of NBA Live, ha!

3. Meetings - Sometimes these can be taxing, but they certainly do take up a lot of time.

4. Bring many little things to eat - Food helps pass the time during the day and I have the luxury of being down the hall from a vending machine that stocks movie theater size boxes of Swedish Fish (Assorted) - SO KEY.

5. Browsing Soul Strut - Anyone?? Thought so.

What are some things you do to pass the day?

Comments

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Lay off the snacks Drewn, it'll get deadly.

Those definitely seem key...when I was employed, I used to take a walk around the block a couple times a day to keep my head straight.

Listening to music definitely helps.

Listening to This American Life is highly encouraged: http://thisamericanlife.com

Avoid the strut if you can help it

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

What are some things you do to pass the day?

I'm finally starting to use this Board due to my new job. I'm still looking over my shoulder cuz folks would trip on me being up here all day. I'm feeling holding off on lunch cuz if you go early the end of the day drags. I don't know beats my old retail job!

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    What is your work Drewn?

Hmmm... let's see.

Strut, strut, and more strut in my free time during work. Usually with a snack in my hand. If its morning with a coffee cup on my desk.

Headphones. Just made a couple rare groove minidisc "unmixed" mixes, letting the tracks breath, trying to absorb as much of my records as I can while away from home. These mixes are, how you say, "getting it in" during the work day. This shit singlehandedly keeps me going.

But all this is about to change anyway, 'cause tomorrow's the last day of school. Not really sure if I feel like or more like since I am done teaching first grade for the time being.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    There are thousands of websites with archival information. I take several "mini vacations" throughout the day to download.

My work computer is huge. And fast. And I don't use any of the storage for work-related shit (as we have servers for that). So I've dedicated my machine to my own archive system. I'm a download fool over here. 40 gigs of jpgs and notes on "stuff." (Wars.Struggles.ResistanceMovements.Etc.)

I say get some more of that higher education in your free work time. It's free.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    There are thousands of websites with archival information. I take several "mini vacations" throughout the day to download.

My work computer is huge. And fast. And I don't use any of the storage for work-related shit (as we have servers for that). So I've dedicated my machine to my own archive system. I'm a download fool over here. 40 gigs of jpgs and notes on "stuff." (Wars.Struggles.ResistanceMovements.Etc.)

I say get some more of that higher education in your free work time. It's free.

Ah! Some insight into the workings of Bam!

::: taking notes :::

I swear, I was gonna ask you this weekend where all of that beautiful information you share with us comes from. I figured it was a plethora of sources that have been meticulously ran through, but wasn't quite sure...it's always such an enlightening surprise.

Now this mystery of mine has had a little bit of the cover pulled off of it, and I???m feeling sort of like when I saw the actual band members of Tool for the first time on a magazine cover. Until then, I would have bet my life savings that they were simply complex machines.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    if you smoke, cig breaks.

if you dont, fake cig breaks.

Some employers are more cool with this than others, might be a good idea to scope out who's ducking out every hour or two.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    like ts*ga said, listen to radio shows

like Danno's radd show, which is on right now!!!! jeah!!!!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    my job keeps me running around the office all day, being a PA basicaly means you don't have time to check the clock which is such a blessing. Not only that but I work at a television network which means I got TV's all around me. This is one of the few moments of down time I've had since 9am yesterday.

Drew I'ma get at you later on tonight

if you smoke, cig breaks.

if you dont, fake cig breaks.

Some employers are more cool with this than others, might be a good idea to scope out who's ducking out every hour or two.

I HAVE noticed a work retreater who frequents the restroom...better keep an eye on him.

Aaayee...yo.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Drewn,

Welcome to the exclusive working stiffs club for the non-independently wealthy, my brutha. You've gotten some good tips so far from the Soulstrut massive. I too take a walk after lunch. Also, soft, interesting music in the office helps me keep focused. A tip I haven't seen yet that I use is to take brief "socializing breaks" to talk to colleagues I'm cool with. For me, this helps cut down on the social isolation that permeates my occupation and work environment. Actually, I use Soulstrut for break the isolation sometimes at work. Another thing you can do is to read during work lulls, especially industry-related material that will enrich your knowledge and skills. Generally, it's a good idea to subscribe to industry journals as professional development tools. Don't let those knowledges and skills developed in college dull after beginning a career. Lulls in the office are a good time for me to catch up on my research journals which easily get back-logged when I'm working on a lot of articles.

I hope this helps you, Drewn. Congratulations on your induction into our club and I wish you a bright, prosperous, and most importantly, fulfilling career!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I HAVE noticed a work retreater who frequents the restroom...better keep an eye on him.

white lines or huffing that white out
    saying

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I know you're in a relationship and everything, but thought I'd offer this one for the rest of y'all: one thing I was feeling when I was younger was workplace romances... put a little spring in your step and some excitement in your day.

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    oooh, I feel like that's a big no-no. ALWAYS separate business and pleasure, yahm? 'Cause in a work situation you're gonna be seeing that person around whether or not you choose to. So I guess its more like all or nothing. Full on relationship or purely platonics. 'Cause a casual hook up thing is always gonna end up bad in the workplace.

And I do really enjoy emailing back and forth with my girl most of the day. Another thing that makes the day go easier.

• Soulstrut (of course).
    Writing and posting my blog.
    Reading several news sites (NYT etc.)
    When it's really slow...Spider Solitaire.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I know you're in a relationship and everything, but thought I'd offer this one for the rest of y'all: one thing I was feeling when I was younger was workplace romances... put a little spring in your step and some excitement in your day.

Hey Faux,

I wouldn't advise this at the professional level, as it could result in serious career and/or relationship backlash. Business never personal...

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Faux,

I wouldn't advise this at the professional level, as it could result in serious career and/or relationship backlash. Business never personal...

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Guys, don't be so uptight.

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    about a million smoke breaks and a 2 hour lunch.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    One more

Yahoo Chess, my rating is going through the roof. Any strutters wanna play, my name is Bernard_Purdie.

• -Taking naps in the library downstairs
    -Checking out the female doctors-in-training
    -Walking across the street to Central Park
    -Depending on my mood: shooting the breeze with co-workers, or avoiding them altogether.
    -Spending too much time lurking on Soulstrut and making inane posts.

Hey Faux,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Guys, don't be so uptight.

Gotta be, I couldn't let booty mess up my money. Look but don't touch. I remember back in the day (when I was single, mind you) I had to interview a really attractive Hispanic clerical employee for a consulting client (in New York) I was working for. I had to focus on the task at hand, instead of being swept away by her big brown eyes, smooth honey-brown skin, large breasteses, and long, pretty legs. Hardest interview (no pun intended) that I ever conducted. I'm human, Faux, but I try to reign it in at work, you know?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

-Taking naps in the library downstairs

Dag! - multiple naps during a workday?? What kind of gig you got, holmes?

This is what I believe faux was getting at as a time-killa suggestion, office eye-candy.

-Taking naps in the library downstairs

This is what I believe faux was getting at as a time-killa suggestion, office eye-candy.

Nope, I'm advocating more than just looking--I'm advocating taking it there.

(Single) dudes should live a little. Nothing like the thrill of the clandestine.

Probably not the move for people who are entrenched in a "career," though--this is a better look for people who just have "jobs," that they're not terribly committed to.

• Dag! - multiple naps during a workday?? What kind of gig you got, holmes?

Doing IT and multimedia development for a medical school. Its either extremely busy or extremely slow. Sometimes I'm able to disappear under the auspices of being busy.

I was just checking myself out in the mirror, goddamn I'm looking bummy. I need a haircut and some fresh wardrobe before I start throwin bass - These ladies deserve it.

Doing IT and multimedia development for a medical school.

Uhh...creepy - that's almost exactly what I do.

'Cept I don't think taking naps will be part of my daily.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

Hey, didn't you get into a big car accident trying to "take it there" one afternoon in 2000? Your sage advice is greatly appreciated by all.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Hey, didn't you get into a big car accident trying to "take it there" one afternoon in 2000?

DISCUSS!!!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

Hey, didn't you get into a big car accident trying to "take it there" one afternoon in 2000?

DISCUSS!!!

I was actually holding the wheel while faux was adjusting his belt, contrary to what the police report said...

FUCK THE POLICE! (by the way)

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    try this game...it fuckin rules

ONE POINT DARES

Run one lap around the office at top speed.

Groan out loud in the toilet cubicle (at least one other 'non-player' must be in the bathroom at the time).

Ignore the first five people who say 'good morning' to you.

Call someone in the office you barely know, leave your name and say, "Just called to say I can't talk right now. Bye."

To signal the end of a conversation, clamp your hands over your ears.

When someone hands you a piece of paper, finger it, and whisper huskily, "Mmmmmmm, that feels soooooo good!"

Leave your zipper open for one hour. If anyone points it out, say, "Sorry, I really prefer it this way".

Walk sideways to the photocopier.

While riding in an elevator, gasp dramatically every time the doors open.

Every time someone asks you to do something, ask if they want fries with that.

Put your garbage can on your desk and label it "IN."

Put decaf in the coffee maker for 3 weeks. Once everyone has gotten over their caffeine addictions, switch to espresso.

Finish all your sentences with "In accordance with the prophecy."

Dont use any punctuation

THREE POINT DARES

Say to your boss, "I like your style" and shoot him with double-barreled fingers.

Babble incoherently at a fellow employee then ask, "Did you get all that, I don't want to have to repeat it."

Page yourself over the intercom (do not disguise your voice).

Kneel in front of the water cooler and drink directly from the nozzle (there must be a 'non-player' within sight).

Shout random numbers while someone is counting.

Put mosquito netting around your work area. Play a tape of jungle sounds all day.

FIVE POINT DARES

At the end of a meeting, suggest that, for once, it would be nice to conclude with the singing of the national anthem (extra points if you actually launch into it yourself).

Walk into a very busy person's office and while they watch you with growing irritation, turn the light switch on/off 10 times.

For an hour, refer to everyone you speak to as "Bob."

Announce to everyone in a meeting that you "really have to go do a number two."

After every sentence, say 'mon' in a really bad Jamaican accent. As in "the report's on your desk, mon." Keep this up for one hour.

While an officemate is out, move their chair into the elevator.

In a meeting or crowded situation, slap your forehead repeatedly and mutter, "Shut up, damn t, all of you just shut up!"

At lunchtime, get down on your knees and announce, "As God is my witness, I'll never go hungry again."

Carry your keyboard over to your colleague and ask "You wanna trade?"

Repeat the following conversation 10 times to the same person: "Do you hear that?" "What?" "Never mind, it's gone now."

Come to work in army fatigues and when asked why, say, "I can't talk about it."

Posing as a maitre d', call a colleague and tell him he's won a lunch for four at a local restaurant. Let him go.

Speak with an accent (French, German, Porky Pig, etc) during a very important conference call.

Find the vacuum and start vacuuming around your desk.

Hang a two-foot long piece of toilet roll from the back of your pants and act genuinely surprised when someone points it out.

Present meeting attendees with a cup of coffee and biscuit, smash each biscuit with your fist.

During the course of a meeting, slowly edge your chair towards the door.

In the subject field for all your e-mails, write " FOR SEXUAL FAVORS."

Have your co-workers address you by your wrestling name, Rock Hard.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Hey, didn't you get into a big car accident trying to "take it there" one afternoon in 2000? Your sage advice is greatly appreciated by all.

Do you two know each other?

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

DISCUSS!!!

I was actually holding the wheel while faux was adjusting his belt, contrary to what the police report said...

FUCK THE POLICE! (by the way)

Just to clarify, this took place in the year 2000 B.C. (Before Coselmed), so I'll let him tell the story...Here's a little sneak preview, though:

+

=