Black Milk's Popular Demand (hope for hip-hop r)

gambitgambit 906 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Two days ago, I interviewed fellow Detroiter Black Milk for a new online hip-hop magazine (plug: www.dropmagazine.com). I am doing a column for them that relates to up-and-coming producers with conversations hovering about beatdigging. Well, that got strained in the colander, because the magazine isn't looking to just appeal to beatheads. They want to appeal to everyone. I changed up my questions I asked the young eMCee/producer. Actually, most of the beatdiggin' questions were off the record. I don't think it really matters what records he uses. I don't think it matters how many records he has or what types. I just want to let folks know that this kid is the real deal.Anyway, I'm transcribing the interview and I'm taking breaks while listening the copy of the album he gave me. Popular Demand is really, really solid. It grows on me upon every listen. It is the evolutionary Detroit hip-hop record I have been waiting on. It can't be plugged into any one sect of hip-hop music. It's not conscious rap. It's not backpack rap. It's not an instrumental record. It's not all about partying and b.s.I have felt for the longest time in the D we just waited for Dilla to do something worthwhile for us to talk about. Others have done notable work, but folks have passed on it. I still think the Platinum Pied Pipers record hasn't received the proper respect it deserves on a critical level. I am hoping that folks wake up when Black Milk's album drops next month.He recorded, mixed and mastered the entire joint in his home. That alone is scary to me. This shit sounds really good, at least to my untrained ear. I don't know if Fat Beats knew what they were doing when they got involved with this guy, but this may have been their best pick-up yet. I got lots of respect for most of the acts on the roster, but Black Milk has an appeal that most of their acts don't. He isn't a linear beatmaker. He can write hooks. He has the potential to be larger than the label may be able to handle. Then again, the music industry is not the same anymore. Black may never get large, but he will definitely grow to garner the respect that dudes like Pete Rock and J Dilla get. Shit, that is more than many of us can say.I just want to urge cats to check out this record by Black Milk. I don't gain anything from you doing so. I just get a strong sense of hope in quality rap music when listening to this dude. The 23-year wunkerkind has not even been exposed to that much yet. I mean, he recently got to go to Australia for the Red Bull Music Academy and meet Jazzman and also has been diggin' with Just Blaze. I can only imagine what travelling the rest of the world doing what he loves to do will do for his art.I hope the album title is prophecy for Black Milk. That kid deserves all the hype he may get.So anyway, you can peep my interview in the next couple of weeks or so. I am lining up some other cool folks to interview also. There will be some Strutters I plan to get at once the site is officially up.

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Dude is the truth.
    His album shall be

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    The new one is very dope. Been a fan of his for awhile now.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Others have done notable work, but folks have passed on it. I still think the Platinum Pied Pipers record hasn't received the proper respect it deserves on a critical level.

The PPP album is decent but not next level. I wouldnt call it the next evolutionary step at all.

• I hear you Gam, Black Milk is def. worthy of props right now, I can't wait to hear Popular Demand! Broken Wax was solid, "Tell 'Em" w/ Nametag has been on repeat, that beat is so dope!
    That is sweet he got to go to Australia, my mum is from Byron Bay Australia, I moved back to MI about 10 yrs ago!
    I will be buying Popular Demand on wax when it comes out for sure!
    Peace
    DJ Zest

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Others have done notable work, but folks have passed on it. I still think the Platinum Pied Pipers record hasn't received the proper respect it deserves on a critical level.

The PPP album is decent but not next level. I wouldnt call it the next evolutionary step at all.
    No, I wouldn't give it an evolutionary step stamp either. I feel it wasn't open enough to really draw in anyone that didn't appreciate their style of music. Although, I find novelty in the sample-cored live instrument-accented style that they used.
    Black probably will get more looks, because his sound isn't so soulful that you feel bad if you aren't rocking the headwrap. It doesn't sound so grimey that you feel bad if you tuck in your polo and button-down shirts.

Popular Demand isn't that mainstream-sounding though. He has the ability to do that kind of stuff, but I don't think he wants to either.

• The PPP album is decent but not next level. I wouldnt call it the next evolutionary step at all.
    The two bonus beats on the PPP Instrumental wax were

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I hear you Gam, Black Milk is def. worthy of props right now, I can't wait to hear Popular Demand! Broken Wax was solid, "Tell 'Em" w/ Nametag has been on repeat, that beat is so dope!
    That is sweet he got to go to Australia, my mum is from Byron Bay Australia, I moved back to MI about 10 yrs ago!
    I will be buying Popular Demand on wax when it comes out for sure!
    Peace
    DJ Zest
    Word up. peace to tragic city.

"Pressure" and "Keep It Live" are my joints off of Broken Wax. But the simplistic "Home of the Greats," which is going to be on the limited edition 2nd disc with instrumentals from Broken Wax, is my favorite track by him so far. I recently found the sample to that. Interesting tidbit, Black had only recently realized that Dilla had used the same track.

• Thanks Gam!
    Can't wait to cop those Black Milk instros, dude has got skills on the MP!
    What about about that pyschadelic sorta guitar at the beginning of Eternal from Sound of the City?
    Dilla rhymed on the beat with that same sample for SV Reunion...
    Peace from Tragic City!
    DJ Zest

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Good shit, Gambit. I've been bumping that Black Milk mixtape the past week or so, really feeling it. That track About ME is flames. Gets me every time. Looking forward to reading the interview. Keep that Detroit aesthetic alive and thumping.

• MI has got it goin on these days! Black Milk, Phat Kat, Ta'Raach all have albums dropping soon, Decompoze just just dropped his new album (which I need to get!), and from what I heard Lo has a dope Dilla beat for his new album, he was up here not too long ago... He has Project: FETUS re-issue out too, any body who didn't get this when it came out needs to check it for sure, album was
    Stand out joints for me: What Time is it and One man's mission
    Peace
    DJ
    Zest

Will this be on vinyl?

• Looks like CD only... Too bad, I would like to own it on wax as well...

• eetzeetz 53 Posts
    Will this be on vinyl?

I thought I saw that it will be on vinyl also. it would be odd if fatbeats didn't press it on vinyl really. I'm looking forward to seeing the response to this album.

I didnt know there was an Instramental joint.

• The PPP album is decent but not next level. I wouldnt call it the next evolutionary step at all.

I didnt know there was an Instramental joint.

I also really liked Detroit Winter too!
    Especially with this a couple doors down from my house:

AND
    If you look real close on this house you can see:

At least it's not like Syracuse NY!
    And no you're not seeing things, they really colored the snow pink and blue ???
    Waajeed is another dope MI producer, any body hear his "Patty Hearst beat tape"?
    Shit was crazy!
    Peace
    DJ Zest

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    the album's DOPE. he's def the next cat to blow out of detroit. the track with one be lo is intense. it should be a real top contender for top 10 lists this year.

• Thanks Gam!
    Can't wait to cop those Black Milk instros, dude has got skills on the MP!
    What about about that pyschadelic sorta guitar at the beginning of Eternal from Sound of the City?
    Dilla rhymed on the beat with that same sample for SV Reunion...
    Peace from Tragic City!
    DJ Zest

i think he co-produced reunion (with young rj = br gunna).
    hope gunna didn't break up. dirty district 2 is one of my most listened to new releases of the last 5 years. the production on that is ridiculous.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

Waajeed is another dope MI producer, any body hear his "Patty Hearst beat tape"?
    Shit was crazy!
    Peace
    DJ Zest

That beat tape is dope as hell! Waajeed is one of my favorite producers and I totally agree that PPP album is slept on just a bit. I didn't think it was amazing or anything, but all the 12"s they put out prior to Triple P were very good. That Ge-Ology remix of Act Like You Know is

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Reunion was as a black milk beat co produced by young rj. I always assumed it was dilla. It has those dope off kilter drums.
    I like PPPs, Black Milk, Frank and Dank, Phat Kat, House shoes. Ta'raach is ok. Any other Detroit cats i should be checking for? The 313 is killin it right now.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'm getting this as soon as it drops.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Can yall quickly recommend some detroit essentials..from BR Gunna, Frank-N-Dank

Waajeed-PPP projects

Trying to start catching up

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Can yall quickly recommend some detroit essentials..from BR Gunna, Frank-N-Dank

Trying to start catching up
    I can't say there are any essentials from BR Gunna or Frank-n-Dank; even though, both have been involved in some good music here and there.
    Frank-n-Dank can be found mainly on various 12" that either say "Jay Dee Presents..." or "Jay Dee feat..." Frank-n-Dank put out an album, but I haven't heard it yet. Their first album got swallowed by MCA. That's got to suck. Dilla was the x-factor in their equation for sure though. I understand they still have access to his beats to use for their own personal projects, but I'd imagine they'll be trying to move on in order to succeed. I don't know though.

• ROD1ROD1 26 Posts
    yeah black is gon kill shit, hopefully things will do well for him, i wish him the best and I'll be playing his shit everywhere.

ive got broken wax and i cant stop playin it

and they will support it.

• Reunion was as a black milk beat co produced by young rj. I always assumed it was dilla. It has those dope off kilter drums.
    I like PPPs, Black Milk, Frank and Dank, Phat Kat, House shoes. Ta'raach is ok. Any other Detroit cats i should be checking for? The 313 is killin it right now.
    Invincible (female MC on "Detroit Winter" from PPP) has a mixtape out "Last Warning" that is good, I am guessing she has a full length coming out soon... Finale has an album coming out with Spier 1200 soon also, what I have heard of that is real dope... They were both on Dabrye 2/3 album too...
    Invincible myspace
    Finale myspace
    They both came up here to Tragic City last summer, both super nice ppl, great MCs, put on a great show even though is was insanely hot here that weekend! Also:
    Artful Dodgers myspace
    Skrapz myspace
    There is of course many more I am not thinking of right now...
    Peace
    DJ Zest

• Black Milk is a clear disciple of Dilla, you can hear the heavy influence and that's not a bad thing at all, I appreciate the fact that Milk is digging for samples and beats and not relying on keyboard pre-sets...'Door' has always been a favourite and I have heard most of the album...it does indeed live up to the hype.

• muggimuggi Reykjavík, Iceland 44 Posts
    Will this be on vinyl?

I thought I saw that it will be on vinyl also. it would be odd if fatbeats didn't press it on vinyl really. I'm looking forward to seeing the response to this album.

Popular Demand
    CD & Double-Vinyl LP
    March 13, 2007

http://www.myspace.com/blackmk

• Waajeed is another dope MI producer, any body hear his "Patty Hearst beat tape"?
    Shit was crazy!
    Peace
    DJ Zest

Loved the Marvin remix EP he put out last year.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    co-sign. listened to broken wax a few times this weekend - looking forward to more.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    It's not all about partying and b.s.

nah seriously though he sounds interesting

Frank N Dank are pretty boring, but their album has its moments (most of which are Dilla beats)

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    It's not all about partying and b.s.

nah seriously though he sounds interesting

Frank N Dank are pretty boring, but their album has its moments (most of which are Dilla beats)
    Don't get it wrong... Black loves to get live, but he isn't stuck in one gear for the entire project.

"Three+Sum" is a good example of what I'm talking about.