Music/Sounds the Significant Other Dislikes

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Hey,Who here has ever dealt with this? You pour some drank, sit back to chill with your significant other, put on an LP YOU LOVE, only to be dissed by her/him. I love me some vibes, but everytime I put them on, T**i says, "You know I don't like that tinkly sound." Damn!!!! The only two I can sneak past her are "Milt Jackson with Strings" and "Moon Child" by Johnny Lytle Trio ft. Ray Barretto. Any of y'all have records you have to avoid playing around the significant other?Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• Like most ladies, mine hates any music with shrill sounds. Her fav genre is world music especially vintage Reggae, Latin, African, and Brazilian. She digs some soul and jazz but more of the 50's to early 60's variety.

• Thankfully the current girly sits there like a wide eyed child to most things I play for her. She's so guileless and open minded. Even to free jazz, which I love, but most can't get with. She constantly says "I want to take a week out and just listen to all your records start to finish"

The girl before her was a dragon. Anything without distorted guitar was a no go.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Well my ex didn't quite dislike, as much as "didn't care for". haha. One of the few times she tuned in was when I was playing Al Green, some Ubiquity label record, and basically accessible stuff like that.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Oh yeah, T**i also fronts on soul tracks with screaming, chuuch-like vocal. I quote her, "All that hollering is gettin' on my nerves." I last experienced this while playing the self-titled joint by The Patterson Sisters.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    bass levels. i like it thunderous, he does not.
    he has no patience for excessive keyboard noodling ie Steve Reid and Jimmy Smith...it reminds him of 'cats running loose on the keys', literal cats, not hep-cats

• She's a big hatter on 80s soul and boogie AND...

she doesn't like hip hop. None. Not old school, not golden age, not electro, not new stuff, none.

I take that back, she likes Mr. Lif and Edan.

Other than that, she's cool with everything else.

SONIC

• I have pretty much stopped playing any free jazz or noodly rock music when the Mrs. is home. She hates high pitched noises so I try and keep it mellow for the most part. She also hates most new commercial hip hop, but the only place I would play that is in the car or at the club so it doesn't really bother me much. She is pretty open-minded and will go through my records and put things on she hasn't listened to. The other day I was upstairs and I heard Archie Shepp come on. She listened to one and a half songs before turning it off. I was impressed because I didn't think she would leave it on that long.

• she doesn't like hip hop. None. Not old school, not golden age, not electro, not new stuff, none.

You can add Reggae and Grime to the list as far as my Mrs is concerned...

There are some interesting debates in the car on long journeys...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Man, Im pretty lucky that me and the Mr. never feel that our choices of music are annoying.

I actually think we are jealous of each others music, as weird as that sounds.

I'll play a set and he will freak the fuck out!! (which is actually genuine)

He will pull out some shit and play it, and I will instantly go lookin for it.

It's really nice, but maybe there is a storm on the way, you never know.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    My lady likes stuff that, for lack of a better way to explain, would be played at Starbucks rather than, say, a beatnit coffee shop. Also, stuff that would be played in a swanky club versus a dirty basement party.

She loves all new wave and a lot of white, whiny indie rock.

• whiny indie rock.

yuck

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    One sunday morning I got up before my girlfriend, went to the living room, made myself comfy on the couch with some pillows and blankets, and I put on the Can Free Concert DVD. After about half an hour, when Damo & Co. are really getting down to it, she comes out of the bedroom looking really sleepy/grumpy advising me to "TURN OFF THAT TERRIBLE NOISE! WHAT IS THAT SHIT?".

OK, I admit that early Can might be considered harsh listening for a sunday morning. She's usually very open to different genres, as long as it's not noisy, chaotic or really hard.

• The mrs can't stand most instrumental hiphop. She's down with Shadow, but anything real repetitive gets the gas face. I had Fat Jon playing in the car and was asked "what's this? a heart beat?"

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    My girl really can't stand female moaning on records. Once she told me, I was never able to tolerate it again either. I mean, it's fine when it's used for comic effect, but when it's on some serious "this is so wild n' psychedelic" or "this music is making me so horny" shit, it is just so cliche and grating. It ruins a lot of otherwise great songs. Props to my girl for pointing it out to me.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    My wife is not a big fan of the saxophone...needless to say jazz that has sax in it gets the gas face.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Wife doensn't like anything really dissonant, or stuff with really explicit lyrics. Which is funny because she can curse like a sailor. She loves old-school reggae and soul though. Just wish I could do something bout her inexplicable fondness for Meatloaf (not the food) and Robbie Williams. Shit is intolerable...

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

She's a big hatter on 80s soul and boogie AND...

Same here. My wife does not understand my old school/modern soul/boogie obsession. She's strictly a "current" pop music listener.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Once while driving to LA, a girl I was dating at the time named Hunnee. Turned off my Breakestra cd and told me, "Either the music goes or I go." Needless to say she got peace'ed the fuck out.

- spidey

• Hunnee.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Hey,

Oh yeah, T**i also fronts on soul tracks with screaming, chuuch-like vocal. I quote her, "All that hollering is gettin' on my nerves." I last experienced this while playing the self-titled joint by The Patterson Sisters.

This pretty much sums up mine. So the rule is, in her car she plays what she likes and in my car I play what I like and if at the house, we play music we both like... Cuz I can't stand her shit, may sound a bit odd but it actually works...

• Psych rock. She's coming around slowly though. Maybe if she smoked it would help!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Someone mentioned reggae, and yes, T**i fronts on that too. "It's so monotonous" she says. It was weird though, because she like my Boris Gardiner's "Soul Experience" album. Actually, she likes big orchestral stuff with a lot of movement, ala Alice Coltrane and Rachminoff, or really smooth stuff like Johnny Hartman, Shirley Horne, Herbie Hancock ("Maiden Voyage"), and Miles Davis ("Sketches in Spain", which has movement too). So, there is stuff I can play to appease her. Me, I can't stand Take Six and she loooooooves them. Those shrieky, "skatty" vocals irritate me to no end, and during roadtrips, I have to eject the CD after a while. Oh yeah, and she likes Barbara Streisand who again, drives me up the wall. I find her screaming high notes tortuous.

In addition, T**i will diss underground hip-hop, but likes "Get Jiggy with It" but also "Mr. Nigga" by Mos Def and "Dre Day". She also disses my early/mid 80's soul ala D-Train, Aurra, Rene & Angela, Loose Ends, but loves The Gap Band, Glenn Jones, and Alexander O'Neal. At the same time, we also have tastes that overlap quite well too (e.g., "I Have a Feeling"-William D. Smith, Marvin Gaye, Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young, Beatles, McCartney, Lennon, Ahmad Jamal, Steve Kuhn, Parliament/Funkadelic), and she has a diverse taste in music.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    all jazz and reggae

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I can't call it. Just when I think I have her figured out she says she likes/hates things I thought she hated/liked.

example: She's into stuff on the radio when it's hot (mostly WPGC or KISSFM in DC), so she wants that latest hot joint wether it's Young Jeezy or Fergie or Beyonce or what have you. Then I'll play some Jay-Z she's heard a million times and she'll say...."I really don't like rap that much", meanwhile she knows every words to old rap like Salt n Pepa, Lyte and Run DMC, and starts dancing whenever she hears that. I'm like 'huh? You don't like rap?'

Or she'll get the iPod while I am driving and put on Bob Dylan. I ask her, "You like Dylan?" and she'll say, "Not especially."

Only sure fire with her is anything Lauryn Hill/Fugees related (except Unplugged THANK GOD)and 80s related. And she thinks AC/DC is the best rock band, so I guess I can live with that.

• wifey don't like wu tang

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    wifey demanded I remove all Neil Young records from the house...

other than that, she's perfect.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Hunnee.

haha more like this

and she drove this

-spidey

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    she doesn't like hip hop. None. Not old school, not golden age, not electro, not new stuff, none.

My girl isn't quite that bad, but there isn't a great deal of hip-hop she likes. Old-school, party-type stuff she's fine with. She likes Jay-Z, Snoop and Kanye, but not a great deal else that you could call current. I remember visiting her when she worked in Nashville a few years back, and we went on a short road trip. I put on "Bulletproof Wallets", which she absolutely hated, and not because it's Ghostface's worst album either. Even now, she'll still sometimes mention how much she hated "that album you played in the car in Nashville". She's pretty cool with just about anything else, so long as it isn't excessively noisy or dissonant. She likes some classic rock, but she hates modern metal. Her thing is classic soul/r&b, particularly from the 80's, and newer shit like Mary, Angie Stone, Anthony Hamilton and some headwrap stuff like Goapele, Jill Scott, Erykah Badu. She likes a lot of Brit indie rock as well, like Oasis, the Charlatans, Primal Scream, the Coral, the Zutons, that kinda thing.

• my wife can't stand Black Sabbath.
    other than that - she tolerates almost anything
    and loves Three 6 Mafia and Van Morrison.
    nothing wrong with that.

• she doesn't like:

noise

insane screechy saxophones