Any Drum Fill Fans???

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Hey,Are any of you cats fans of the drum fill? We're rappin' about drum breaks, but what about drum fills that get you amped up? I'll start, the drum fill at the beginning of:-"Trespassin'"-The Ohio Players.I love it because it's real dirty and raggedy-soundin'.Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    take me to mardi gras get the most-cut-fill award.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Kak-kak, dooooo.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Headhunters "God Make Me Funky", great drum fill. Mike Clarke is that dude.

I love that scene in Wild Stye with Flash cutting doubles of this in his kitchen.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    If every Meters cut on Josie counts, then I am a big fan.

Can't say I listen for drum fills in general, but when Modeliste or Al Jackson is drumming...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here's another funky one:

The drum fill right before the break in "I Turn My Back on Love" by Skull Snaps.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• boast1boast1 142 Posts

• Good thread idea, I was thinking abou this the other day:

2 classics:

Expansions
    Films

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    gotta admit i dont know what the drums are from (hi bapt) but i always loved the fill that pans back and forth on biggie's things done changed.
    one of the few sample ids i will ever be able to do, main ingredient - something on euphrates river

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Kak-kak, dooooo.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

i love that one, classis roll!

• gotta admit i dont know what the drums are from (hi bapt) but i always loved the fill that pans back and forth on biggie's things done changed.
    one of the few sample ids i will ever be able to do, main ingredient - something on euphrates river

whoever put that track together had, like, just that one record, because the rest of the biggie track is from the very next song on that M.I. LP: summer breeze. "ok i got the intro... maybe this next song on the record has something for the verses!"

but its awesome regardless. sinister summer breeze steez.

• the purdie drum fill before the second verse of stelly dan's "green earings" is

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'm a sucker for fills with booming toms. Jimmy Smith "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Babe" comes to mind. That one hit me hard when I first heard the Beasties use it on "Professor Booty".

Edit:

I just remembered that the P.Booty fill is not a part of the Jimmy Smith break, but it was pasted onto the beginning by the Beastie Boys. I guess it has just become one entity in my mind. Where is that fill from then? I feel like I know it from somewhere. Anyway, toms get love over here ???

• some used and abused faves:

eddy senay- "cameo"

funkadelic "nappy dugout"

kool & gang "love & understanding"

odetta "hit or miss"

Hey,

What? No "Hook and Sling" yet? Man, that break had tons of nasty-ass drum fills. What about "Here Comes the Meter Man" by The Meters?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I use the "Mardi Gras" fill as the ringtone for when I get a text message. I'm a geek.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    "Sexy Coffee Pot" and it's subsequent use in Rakim's "Run For Cover". The latter track was an epiphany for me in my pre-beatmaker years. The way the different drum fills are isolated and punched in on that track is soooo dope. Even at the time, I knew it was some producer steez.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    For some reason... Funky Snakefoot by Alphonse Mouzon comes to mind.

Don't sample it though because he will come at you veraciously.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    "Sexy Coffee Pot" and it's subsequent use in Rakim's "Run For Cover". The latter track was an epiphany for me in my pre-beatmaker years. The way the different drum fills are isolated and punched in on that track is soooo dope. Even at the time, I knew it was some producer steez.

Massive muhfuckin' cosignature on this one. That break is the illest, as are those fills, and the way they punch in the fills during the verses and then let the whole shit just run ("one more time!") at the end is retarded doo doo def.

Hey,

The beginning of "Don't Make Hurtin' Me a Habit" by The Marvalettes (right before the break):

Kak, boom, kak-kak, dooo.

It's not just the riff itself (which is rather simple), but the sounds of those Funk Bros. drums.

I remember back in the day, I would ALWAYS go to Motown-based joints for drum fills. Oh yeah, right about the beginning of "Soulful Strut"? And one more question, where is that fill from that Prince Paul uses on "Plug Tunin'"? The one with the two snare notes (I love the sound of those simple two notes). I've always wanted to know this one.

Last one, no "Big City Funk" by Dennis Coffey?

Grrrrrrkak-kak, kak-kak-kak (DJ Mark the 45 King-related).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey,

Are any of you cats fans of the drum fill? We're rappin' about drum breaks, but what about drum fills that get you amped up? I'll start, the drum fill at the beginning of:

-"Trespassin'"-The Ohio Players.

I love it because it's real dirty and raggedy-soundin'.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey,

I had an "oops" on this one. I was playing break/funk records today, and the correct song for the above drum fill is "Find Someone to Love" from the "First Impressions" LP. My bad!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    "Detroit" Paul Humphrey & His Cool Aid Chemists really like the fills in the intro

I'm a sucker for fills with booming toms. Jimmy Smith "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Babe" comes to mind. That one hit me hard when I first heard the Beasties use it on "Professor Booty".

Edit:

I just remembered that the P.Booty fill is not a part of the Jimmy Smith break, but it was pasted onto the beginning by the Beastie Boys. I guess it has just become one entity in my mind. Where is that fill from then? I feel like I know it from somewhere. Anyway, toms get love over here ???

Isn't this, "I'm Just Gonna Love You A Little More, Babe" by Barry White, or is my memory failing me?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Dino Danelli from the Rascals OWNS this thread, as does whoever played drums on the Four Seasons' hits from the sixties ("Dawn" sounds like the wrath of thunder).[/b]

Dino Danelli from the Rascals OWNS this thread, as does whoever played drums on the Four Seasons' hits from the sixties ("Dawn" sounds like the wrath of thunder).[/b]

Good calls. Don't forget about Grady Tate's work with Ray Bryant. I still didn't get an answer on the two-note snare fill Prince Paul used in "Plug Tunin'" (and also on "My Brother's a Basehead").

Boom kak, boom-boom boom kak, boom boom kak boom-boom boom klik-klik[/b]

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• That's why I always dug New Birth's "Dream Merchant" over Jerry Butler's, because New Birth's drummer is just rollin' & tumblin' all over them snares like a human earthquake...[/b]

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    whoever played drums on the Four Seasons' hits from the sixties

You'll love/hate this, pickwick: I recently found an old pause-button tape of mine whereupon I had taken the little drum-and-guitar grind that imemdiately follows the intro for "Let's Hang On" and looped it, you know, hip-hop style. And just to dig my hole deeper, I think I also showed similar disrespect to a Paul Revere and the Raiders track ("Happening '69" or "'69 Is Happening" or "'68 And I'll Owe You One" or something like that).

The same tape also had a Henry Franklin loop. Hey, Bam.

• whoever played drums on the Four Seasons' hits from the sixties

You'll love/hate this, pickwick: I recently found an old pause-button tape of mine whereupon I had taken the little drum-and-guitar grind that imemdiately follows the intro for "Let's Hang On" and looped it, you know, hip-hop style.

You know, I've never been the biggest Four Seasons fan, outside of a few guilty pleasures like "Dawn." And since the intro to "Let's Hang On" is really the only part I like, I'd probably find your remix pretty amusing!

And just to dig my hole deeper, I think I also showed similar disrespect to a Paul Revere and the Raiders track ("Happening '69" or "'69 Is Happening" or "'68 And I'll Owe You One" or something like that).

your ass is going to hell[/b]

I can tell you're angry, but wait until you hear my Charlie Rich mash-up, "I Feel Like Going House." I really think it will change your mind.

• your ass is going to hell[/b]

I can tell you're angry, but wait until you hear my Charlie Rich mash-up, "I Feel Like Going House." I really think it will change your mind.

I ain't hattin'[/b] - you gotta send me an mp3 of this shit, it may indeed change my mind!

"Lord, I feel like going house...I tried and I failed"...[/b]

I ain't hattin'[/b] - you gotta send me an mp3 of this shit, it may indeed change my mind!

"Lord, I feel like going house...I tried and I failed"...[/b]

It's actually currently tied up in some litigation surrounding a little sampled Rolling Stones/Thin Lizzy/Dave Chappelle interlude ("Silver!"/"Fox!"/"I'm rich, bitch!"), but I'll definitely put you on the promo list.