Any Drum Fill Fans???

2»

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    And so as not to derail: I'm pretty much always happy to hear Trouble Funk fills.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    The same tape also had a Henry Franklin loop. Hey, Bam.

Proto-Beauty-and-the-ElectricEffulgent-Tub-Thumpin', Son!

Not to sink any more sailboats, but I too am tired of hearing dudes double up on some tired cueburned digital third-party copies of Ultimate Breaks and Beats. What I wanna hear is someone (peacefulrotation!) rock doubles of some Neo-Com(munist) ProperGrammar, double-clicking on all the pertinent points relevant to today's posts (see excerpt below).

I too do not want to hear it.[/b] ([/i]Not that I don't think your pause tape was interesting)
    I too do not want to know it.[/b] (Twice for umphasis)
    I want to run into the street,[/b] (skreet)
    Shouting, ???Remember Vanzetti!???[/b] (Who?)
    I want to pour gasoline down your chimneys.[/b] (Who doesn't?)
    I want to blow up your galleries.[/b] (Not galleries)
    I want to bum down your editorial offices.[/b]
    I want to slit the bellies of your frigid women.[/b] (frigid, not frozen)
    I want to sink your sailboats and launches.[/b] (REALLY BIG SAIL BOATS!)
    I want to strangle your children at their finger paintings.[/b] (:Guzzo gets upset:)
    I want to poison your Afghans and poodles.[/b] (Racist!)
    He is dead, the little drunken cherub.[/b] (Posting while drunk)
    He is dead,[/b]
    The effulgent tub thumper.[/b] (Back to your pasue tape)
    He is Dead. [/b] (For umphasis, again)

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'm a sucker for fills with booming toms. Jimmy Smith "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Babe" comes to mind. That one hit me hard when I first heard the Beasties use it on "Professor Booty".

Edit:

I just remembered that the P.Booty fill is not a part of the Jimmy Smith break, but it was pasted onto the beginning by the Beastie Boys. I guess it has just become one entity in my mind. Where is that fill from then? I feel like I know it from somewhere. Anyway, toms get love over here ???

Isn't this, "I'm Just Gonna Love You A Little More, Babe" by Barry White, or is my memory failing me?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Goddamnit, I'm rambling here. I just pulled out "Black Smith" just to verify, and the fill I'm talking about is actually the beginning of the break on Jimmy's cover version of "I'm Just Gonna Love You A Little More, Babe".

Boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-rakatak!

Not talking about Barry White's original, although that fill is classic too.

this thread is nerdy

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I'm a sucker for fills with booming toms. Jimmy Smith "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Babe" comes to mind. That one hit me hard when I first heard the Beasties use it on "Professor Booty".

Edit:

I just remembered that the P.Booty fill is not a part of the Jimmy Smith break, but it was pasted onto the beginning by the Beastie Boys. I guess it has just become one entity in my mind. Where is that fill from then? I feel like I know it from somewhere. Anyway, toms get love over here ???

Isn't this, "I'm Just Gonna Love You A Little More, Babe" by Barry White, or is my memory failing me?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Goddamnit, I'm rambling here. I just pulled out "Black Smith" just to verify, and the fill I'm talking about is actually the beginning of the break on Jimmy's cover version of "I'm Just Gonna Love You A Little More, Babe".

Boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-rakatak!

Not talking about Barry White's original, although that fill is classic too.

this thread is nerdy

My bad, your description sounded like the Barry White version. Oh, the Jimmy Smith is nasty in its own right, but I think the Barry drums are a little harder. Both have been sampled up into my ASR-10, so I'll take either one of them. Funky beats, indeed!!!! Where are those drum fills, people? Let's add them on!!!! Here's another one:

-from "I Gonna Love You" (Z.Z. Hill), included in my last beat battle track.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Led Zep - Bonzo's Lament (too obvious?)
    the intro fill on the Chosen Few's Theme from Shaft - so simple, and so right!
    Also obvious, but Four Play sounds so good no matter how many times I hear it.

• The one that kicks off "Game Of Love" by Wayne Fontana & the Mindbenders.