no

• uh oh

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    no

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    Wouldn't that be the hotness!?

Not Ken Burns again.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

That would be the biggest pile of steaming dogshit ever conceived.

Burns: "...and that's when Louis Armstrong fully realized the funk sound."

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Yeah, I don't need Ken Burns taking something I'm into and beating it to death in the most boring and misrepresented manner again. Sheesh.

DJ Ferrari

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Ken Burns: Project Blowed

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    was Ken Burns on Soul Train?

Ken Burns: Project Blowed

[Stanley Crouch]And so the melange of sounds that Project Blowed represented was like gumbo![/Stanley Crouch]

:::Cue footage of trains:::

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

[Stanley Crouch]

i hate to say it but i feel bad for Stanley, because the 1st thing i think about when i hear his name are those lips....it must be miserable knowing the 1st thing people see on your face is your worst feature...those lips are disturbing...they're like 5 different shades...ranging from yellow to a pink & brown swirl....poor Stanley,miserable bastard

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've never understood what qualifies Ken Burns to do this stuff...

I mean, who is he?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    no, thats the worst idea I've ever heard!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I think it would be ill only if Wynton Marsalis was the advisor to the project....

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    his borther did an absolutely EXCELLENT doc on the Donner Party which. completely creepy and mesmerizing...

Ken Burns on the otherhand is a complete twat.

but i look forward to Ken burns: We Got The Funk episode 9 - Metal Funk - "featuring exclusive interviews with Roddy Bottom's of Faith No More, Mike Muir from suicidal tendencies, and of course Flea weighing in on the last truely great era in the history of funk"

"when we came up with the idea of slap bass with heavy guitars we knew we were onto a sound that would change the world"

"the disporadic culmination of latino lo rider culture fusing within the nascent thrash metal genre coalessed into a sound of such modern day significance that it can only be seen as the true logical extension of all that louis armstrong had lived his life creating"

"im gonna give the guys credit for doing what they felt they needed to do, but im not interested in that self indulgent bullshit, gimme Fishbone anyday"

"the disporadic culmination of latino lo rider culture fusing within the nascent thrash metal genre coalessed into a sound of such modern day significance that it can only be seen as the true logical extension of all that louis armstrong had lived his life creating"

Hilarious--that could almost be a quote from Rickey Vincent's book. Vincent would have found a way to throw in one or more of the following word/phrases, though: "funkster," "funkateer," "stanky," "nastay," or "the funk bomb".

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

i liked his special on the chemical industry-when he had his blood analysized and there are like literally hundreds of carcinogenic man made compunds in his system-even outlawed pesticides like DDT and such-which means we all have pretty much have all of this crap inside of us as well!!!! : )
    thanks kenBill Moyers

Ken Burns needs to stick to what he knows. Like being a middlebrow faggit.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Ken Burns' biggest problem was that he wasn't an objective creator in his jazz documentary. Entire segments were conjecture at best, colonialist fantasy at worst. His criticism was obviously focused on his disgust at what jazz became, while lauding the heros. To him, anything past bop didn't really happen, "new thing" jazz'ers were confused, and anybody who cut an album with electric overtones was obviously going through some kind of failed experiment. Anyhow I'll stop because the documentary gets me too keyed up.

ashrock speaks the truth.. that doc almost had me throwing things at the TV numerous times.

Ken Burns' biggest problem was that he wasn't an objective creator in his jazz documentary. Entire segments were conjecture at best, colonialist fantasy at worst. His criticism was obviously focused on his disgust at what jazz became, while lauding the heros. To him, anything past bop didn't really happen, "new thing" jazz'ers were confused, and anybody who cut an album with electric overtones was obviously going through some kind of failed experiment. Anyhow I'll stop because the documentary gets me too keyed up.

I think the probelm had less to do with Ken Burns than it had to do with Wynton's input. As most of y'all know Wynton has routinely shunned anything post bop, goes out of his way to only talk about Satchmo, and of course the incident with Miles Davis. Im not saying Wynton isnt an exceptional technical player, which he is, but his whole "I am jazz" mantra is completely annoying. Wynton Marsalis was, I believe, Burns' main music adviser and probably shaped his opinion. Burns made a great documentary about Baseball, and Ive heard his Jack Johnson thing wasnt horrible.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I mean, who is he?

well, what qualifies anyone in the end? I mean, do you only want filmmakers federally approved by some authoritarian body? Seems like he has as much credentials in documentary films as anyone, I just question his agenda on the jazz doc. It's pretty much the Wynton Marsalis Agenda.

I mean, who is he?

well, what qualifies anyone in the end? I mean, do you only want filmmakers federally approved by some authoritarian body? Seems like he has as much credentials in documentary films as anyone, I just question his agenda on the jazz doc. It's pretty much the Wynton Marsalis Agenda.

Well, I never watched it & don't really know anything about him. All I know is that he has done these things on Music, Baseball, etc. & they seem to be regared as the gospel by "the Middle-brow Faggots" of America. Just seems kinda strange.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    and Ive heard his Jack Johnson thing wasnt horrible.

It wasn't horrible.
    But it would be nice to see some fresh voices get a crack at some of the footage that was discovered...seems like Burns' is the established documentarian, safe bet for financing and guaranteed to only be so controversial(conservatively speaking). That's what I have the most issues with...only something with the Ken Burns seal of approval is legit, at least with the NPR/Corp for Public Broadcasting crowd.

and Ive heard his Jack Johnson thing wasnt horrible.

It wasn't horrible.
    But it would be nice to see some fresh voices get a crack at some of the footage that was discovered...seems like Burns' is the established documentarian, safe bet for financing and guaranteed to only be so controversial(conservatively speaking). That's what I have the most issues with...only something with the Ken Burns seal of approval is legit, at least with the NPR/Corp for Public Broadcasting crowd.

True dat, I agree that NPR/KCRW/Corp for Public Broadcasting is quickly declining and it looks like they're about to be fuckered by Washington as well.

• Crink, I find your usage of the term "middle-brow" to be coarse and unnecessary. Please refrain in the future as the very fabric of my sensibilities is at stake.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Hilarious--that could almost be a quote from Rickey Vincent's book. Vincent would have found a way to throw in one or more of the following word/phrases, though: "funkster," "funkateer," "stanky," "nastay," or "the funk bomb".

Ken Burns = Rickey Vincent.

Crink, I find your usage of the term "middle-brow" to be coarse and unnecessary. Please refrain in the future as the very fabric of my sensibilities is at stake.

sorry!

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    Wynton Marsalis = zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    to be honest, i couldnt sit through the jazz series, but i think something in that vein (a documentary series) on the developement of funk would be nice. i didnt know so many of you were so passionate about your hate for ken burns and anything he does. damn.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    When PBS had that long documentary series devoted to rock like 10-12 years ago there was a volume devoted to funk, it was pretty good... though all too brief