Woody Shaw Appreciation

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Wow! What a rock solid discography. I'm just getting into his late 70s through mid-80s records. I don't what to say! Not a bad one in there.Maybe the greatest trumpet evar.

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    So FATBACK,

did you entice the dog under the table by puttin a little peanut butta on your foo-foo?

love,
    elise

• Maybe the greatest trumpet evar.

maybe...great tone... moontrane is killing it...also he played so many great sessions as a sideman, especially with art blakey's early 70's jazz messengers

• Wow! What a rock solid discography. I'm just getting into his late 70s through mid-80s records. I don't what to say! Not a bad one in there.

Maybe the greatest trumpet evar.

He's the Jackie McLean of trumpet--tons of soul but can also go the spiritual jazz route, as he did with Jackie McLean, McCoy Tyner, and Andrew Hill (this will make me listen to "Lift Every Voice and Sing" again, I suppose). I used to have his double album, "Blackstone Legacy," but seemed to have lost it somewhere along the way. I remember liking it quite a bit.

Everything I've heard with him involved has been good, especially those sides with Jackie McLean--"Demon's Dance" and "'Bout Soul."

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    totally cosign on this!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    So FATBACK,

did you entice the dog under the table by puttin a little peanut butta on your foo-foo?

love,
    elise

bacon wrapped, my friend. peanuts give me hives.

(foo-foo )

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    So FATBACK,

love,
    elise

bacon wrapped, my friend. peanuts give me hives.

(foo-foo )

that my sir is a filet mignon....

yiiiikes!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    he's no clifford brown (i know, heresy - cliff didn't even do fusion!!!) but seriously, woody shaw was dope. I am all about the jazz trumpet lineage - the real dude who gets NO LOVE is Booker Little, because he died at 23 (my age!) of uremia. Played w/ Dolphy, was

• he's no clifford brown (i know, heresy - cliff didn't even do fusion!!!) but seriously, woody shaw was dope. I am all about the jazz trumpet lineage - the real dude who gets NO LOVE is Booker Little, because he died at 23 (my age!) of uremia. Played w/ Dolphy, was

I agree with this. Clifford Brown was the trendsetter for trumpet chops, booker little was maybe one of the most underrated in the business, but Woody was a bad man. I never messed with his late 70s ealry 80s catalog, but his earlier stuff is solid and all the spots he had on other artists albums were great. He played with Horace Silver a bunch and some of my favorite trumpet work is on Cape Verdean Blues, the album I can never shut up about.