Anyone here own a VPI? Opinions?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
Hey there.Bout to buy a record cleaner. The loricraft looks real nice but is much more expensive... they make a damn good case for it though.Can anyone elaborate on the charge that VPIs (and other vacuum cleaners) clean warped records unevenly?Thanks folks.

Comments

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    my boy has a vpi shits dope, & does the job, dunno more than that though

• Hey there.

Bout to buy a record cleaner. The loricraft looks real nice but is much more expensive... they make a damn good case for it though.

Can anyone elaborate on the charge that VPIs (and other vacuum cleaners) clean warped records unevenly?

Thanks folks.

I believe AP was go go gadget record cleaner about the VPI and said if anything doesn't have the vacuum componenet of the system, it is thus inferior. never personally dealt with it though. just remembering what he wrote here about a year or so ago.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hey there.

Bout to buy a record cleaner. The loricraft looks real nice but is much more expensive... they make a damn good case for it though.

Can anyone elaborate on the charge that VPIs (and other vacuum cleaners) clean warped records unevenly?

Thanks folks.

Hi, JP,

Seriously, I think the VPI is a great machine, but you can get results that are just as good with much cheaper machines. I've had great success with the 100.00 KAB EV-1. Here'a a link to their webpage:

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/index.htm

They have reviews reviews of this RCM, along with several others @ tnt-audio.com.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/kabev1_e.html

If money is no object, the loricraft or keith monk's machines are the best out there, but, at 3000, they better be good...

Also scope out audioasylum.com There are ALOT of posts about this type of thing in the vinyl asylum.

Peace

h

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    I'm going to try this bad boy out this week, I just need to make a better adapter for the nozzle... I think this will be a lot cheaper than buying the VPI... When I try it out I will let you know!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

I have one of these. It's simple and effective, and does the job. Copped it for $50 from an audiophile who didn't need it anymore. I still clean most records by hand though.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    I've had the VPI for two years. I got it for $400 from redtrumpet.com (shipping included). Worth every penny.

Yes they clean warped records unevenly. I've posted how to fix warped records with two pieces of glass on here before.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yes they clean warped records unevenly. I've posted how to fix warped records with two pieces of glass on here before.

Haha I'm not really fucking with you on that one!

How bout the noise of the unit? Is this something that's annoying or distracting?

Thanks

Haha I'm not really fucking with you on that one!

How bout the noise of the unit? Is this something that's annoying or distracting?

Thanks

it's as loud as a standard vacumme cleaner.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Hmph.

Not something I'd want to run all day errryday huh?

Loricraft, while much quieter, requires the user to manually distribute the liquid around the record. LAME.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Humping.

requires the user to manually distribute the liquid around

In other circumstances, this is a chore of great enjoyment.
    GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME DOG!

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Hey there.

Thanks folks.

I would strongly suggest a Nitty Gritty V 1.1 (basic model). The VPIs are way more expensive and they both do the same quality job (I've witnessed this many times). Also, you want to get a record vacuum cleaner that is completely manual, do not go for a version that is automated in any way.

-k

Hmph.

Not something I'd want to run all day errryday huh?

Loricraft, while much quieter, requires the user to manually distribute the liquid around the record. LAME.

You're going into uncharted territory with that Loricraft. Read the reviews too and I'm skeptical.

I only run about 30 records per sitting on my VPI. It gets kinda hot too. The noise is no problem.

I used to use the Nitty Gritty and it works, but not as well made. And changing the felt pads is a pain. With the VPI, you just pop on a new tube ($20 at Bags unltd). They also have adapter sets for 45s and 10s/78s. The Nitty Gritty only does 12s. No?

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    The Nitty Gritty only does 12s. No?

They do make an adapter, although you buy it separatly. When cleaning a 10" or 7" I just cover up the remaining space on the suction hole with a piece of plastic and it works just fine.

I think its only safe to clean about 10 records at a time with either of the systems, you dont want to burn out the motor. Let it cool for 30min and start again.

-k

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Hi,

One good thing about KAB nitty gritty based cleaner is that you supply your own vacuum. You can hook up something with more suction than a conventional nitty gritty/vpi vac motor. Also, I don't like the fully automated machines. I like to control what direction the spindle is turning.

h