Da Shinin' Appreciation

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited June 2016 in Music Talk
Hey,I've been on a mission to buy all classic rap albums on CD that I have from the cassette era. One of my recent "wayback" purchases was "Da Shinin' by Smif N' Wessun. Call me crazy, but I think Da Beatminerz peaked right about here. Also, is it me, or did Steele have one of the dopest voices in hip-hop at that time? Also, Tek brought the flaves to the songs to balance out Steele's lyrical wizardry (check his 2nd verse on "Bucktown" as an example). To this day, I think this is the BEST Duck Down release. So grimy and raw, and the artists/production came together so well. What's up???Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    P-N-C is dat shit! I love that album, I got the CD and Wax of that one too...

RAW AND GRIMEY.

I actually prefer this album as a whole over the Black Moon debut. I like that Black Moon ish but it got played out too much at the time...

peace.

• shinin's waaaaaay better than enta da stage
    when i first heard bucktown and lets get it on i was thinking it was just some black moon spin off. but then the full weight of those two songs hit me in the head. and then that album dropped. gottttam. so many classic classic loops on there. the mythical jack bruce record. PNC, stand strong. word

also worthy of praise is the wrekonize jus tthe two of us remix. reeeeeal dope.

i was thinking about this yesterday and now its spinnin on the fisher price

• toe up from the flo up

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

"Mista ripper I, lurk in the 'Stuy,
    Twist up the ganja when I wanna get high,
    Wit' my brethren, a buddah session, learn your lesson or
    Get blasted, by Mr. Smif or Mr. Wessun..."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• i was just kareokiiing that shit!!!! hahaa
    and an exgirl just happened to swing through with tha ku sheng peng (sp?)

• Call me crazy, but I think Da Beatminerz peaked right about here. To this day, I think this is the BEST Duck Down release.
    "before i go to bed i take an EL to the head
    reminisce over words that was once said by my man
    god rest his soul i was told stand bold
    and under pressure don't fold....."

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    one of my all time favorite albums. listen to it atleast once a week. "timz and hood check" is my shit

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    one of my all time favorite albums. listen to it atleast once a week. "timz and hood check" is my shit

"The dress code is bold so feel the cold barrel..."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    oh and my phone ringtone is "Bucktown"

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    When this album came out I had 4 12"'s in the ride... Damn I loved this album.

• autezautez 404 Posts
    this album is a fave! "lets get it on" is the #1 track on it i'd say. seems like they recorded this album kinda low on the volume side... anyone else notice this

• "lets get it on" is the #1 track on it i'd say.

What does it take, to get the break in the world of snakes
    And those who fake (may be a taste of this)
    Ah, true

That beat is

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Absolutely a favorite record... "Sound Bwoy Buriel" is the perfect soundtrack for a cold NYC winter evening, waiting for the J-Train at Gates Ave.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    it was pretty cool to see them perform at rock the bells
    stuck to the classics

dah shinin is definitely the best boot camp clik album to me

"Nothin Move but the Money" is a great underrated song not on the album
    speaking of, who's heard this
    http://www.amazon.com/X-Files-Smif-N-Wessun/dp/B000FUF9IS

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    ku sheng peng (sp?)

Pass the Tu Sheng Peng, pass it over...

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    I pretty much agree with everything here said so far.

perfect for a late night drive (or any time for that matter)

• I pretty much agree with everything here said so far.

perfect for a late night drive (or any time for that matter)
    with a blunt/joint, don't leave that out thats most important thing.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    wipe ya mouf has also a very dope beat IMHO

• top 10 rap albums of all time.

I don't know about top 10 but it's up there. Definite contender. So good.

I got a hankering to hear Enta Da Stage the other day (listening to Places & Spaces LP, haha) but every copy I've ever had is worked to shit.

"Nuthin Move But The Money" is the shit and is tough to find. White label only deal. I believe it was held off the album for sample clearance, Rod Temperton apparently objected to the content of the tune.

:weaksauce:

Also let us not forget that, along with Resurrection, this is one of those records the Source dissed in its review. I think it got 3 mics and the beats were compared to "Spanish Soap Opera" themesongs.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    It was so nice i bought it twice also,cassette and cd.
    "Wontime" is the darkest track eva made.

• Hey,

I've been on a mission to buy all classic rap albums on CD that I have from the cassette era. One of my recent "wayback" purchases was "Da Shinin' by Smif N' Wessun. Call me crazy, but I think Da Beatminerz peaked right about here. Also, is it me, or did Steele have one of the dopest voices in hip-hop at that time? Also, Tek brought the flaves to the songs to balance out Steele's lyrical wizardry (check his 2nd verse on "Bucktown" as an example). To this day, I think this is the BEST Duck Down release. So grimy and raw, and the artists/production came together so well. What's up???

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I personally think this one sounds better on cassette.

• I've been on a mission to buy all classic rap albums on CD that I have from the cassette era.

they're all in the trunk of my car!

I got a hankering to hear Enta Da Stage the other day (listening to Places & Spaces LP, haha) but every copy I've ever had is worked to shit.

"Nuthin Move But The Money" is the shit and is tough to find. White label only deal. I believe it was held off the album for sample clearance, Rod Temperton apparently objected to the content of the tune.

Also let us not forget that, along with Resurrection, this is one of those records the Source dissed in its review. I think it got 3 mics and the beats were compared to "Spanish Soap Opera" themesongs.

I think it was actually 2 and a half mics. They even wrote a letter to the Source, which I believe they signed "Wipe Ya Mouf". I often wonder if dude at the Source was even listening to the same damn album that I own, because I think that shit is a masterpiece, straight up and down. Beatminerz managed to give the record a totally consistent sinister/beautiful vibe throughout, as if every sample had come from the same record. This album was designed to listen to while smoking so much dirt weed that your vision becomes wobbly and time slows down for you and even though I no longer smoke at all, and certainly don't cop nickel bags of brown on Franklin Avenue anymore, every time I put this on I feel "mad blunted yo".

I remember me and Rape Donkeys playing this on a Sunday morning at the restaurant he used to work at and many people apparently did not find it to be a proper soundtrack to their mimosas and shit and got up and left. I'll never forget driving back from the poude spot on [email]1@8th[/email] Street an #$@$Avenue with my dude Leo smoking an L of purple and listening to "Nuthin Move But The Money" real fucking loud with the windows down and the summer sun coming through the sunroof. Good times.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Anyone have the test press for Sound Bwoy? It had the Instrumental and I believe it also had the acapella.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    I had lost the first record of Dah shinin from 1997-2006. Consequently, I developed a strong love for the 2nd half of the album. Next Shit is probably one of my faourite hip hop tracks in memory. Especially when they breakdown midsong into a nonsensical phone call.

I was going through records around christmas to take out of my apartment for good. From out of this random masters of illusion record comes the A/B side of dah shinin. REUNITED AND IT FEELS SO GOOD

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Anyone have the test press for Sound Bwoy? It had the Instrumental and I believe it also had the acapella.

No shit? I've always wondered if an instrumental / acapella version existed.

I've got several copies of the remix (flip of Bucktown or Wontime? Can't remember right now) but that shit is especially since its edited.
    Had to cop the Original Crooks, Original Heads nervous comp to get the OG on wax. That 90s Nervous shit is before they went off on the house tip.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I love this album.

REAL SCHITT!

To me, a significantly better record than Enta da Stage, which I think people tend to over-rate because they forget that a lot of Black Moon's best tracks from the era weren't actually on that album, instead being B-sides and remixes.

Da Shinin' also embodies something that I think is really missing from contemporary rap: really tight duos. Man, nothing sounds better than two rappers that have grown up together, who know eachother's style really well, going back and forth.

I think it was actually 2 and a half mics. They even wrote a letter to the Source, which I believe they signed "Wipe Ya Mouf". I often wonder if dude at the Source was even listening to the same damn album that I own, because I think that shit is a masterpiece, straight up and down. Beatminerz managed to give the record a totally consistent sinister/beautiful vibe throughout, as if every sample had come from the same record. This album was designed to listen to while smoking so much dirt weed that your vision becomes wobbly and time slows down for you and even though I no longer smoke at all, and certainly don't cop nickel bags of brown on Franklin Avenue anymore, every time I put this on I feel "mad blunted yo".

I remember me and Rape Donkeys playing this on a Sunday morning at the restaurant he used to work at and many people apparently did not find it to be a proper soundtrack to their mimosas and shit and got up and left. I'll never forget driving back from the poude spot on [Email]1@8th[/Email] Street an #$@$Avenue with my dude Leo smoking an L of purple and listening to "Nuthin Move But The Money" real fucking loud with the windows down and the summer sun coming through the sunroof. Good times.

Dude with the influx of dusty hip-hop I have a real hankering for a dutch today.... might have to happen. Got Shinin' and Living Proof cued up for the occasion...

• Hey,

I've been on a mission to buy all classic rap albums on CD that I have from the cassette era. One of my recent "wayback" purchases was "Da Shinin' by Smif N' Wessun. Call me crazy, but I think Da Beatminerz peaked right about here. Also, is it me, or did Steele have one of the dopest voices in hip-hop at that time? Also, Tek brought the flaves to the songs to balance out Steele's lyrical wizardry (check his 2nd verse on "Bucktown" as an example). To this day, I think this is the BEST Duck Down release. So grimy and raw, and the artists/production came together so well. What's up???

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I personally think this one sounds better on cassette.

yeah, anyone have a cassette copy they don't want anymore? my roommate had this at the time that it came out, + i miss having it around, haven't heard it in years. and cassette is still my preferred medium to listen to hip hop but yeah great album

I had lost the first record of Dah shinin from 1997-2006. Consequently, I developed a strong love for the 2nd half of the album. Next Shit is probably one of my faourite hip hop tracks in memory. Especially when they breakdown midsong into a nonsensical phone call.

Yeah, that's my joint, but don't forget about "Hellucinations." I still cue up Minnie's "Only When I'm Dreamin'" because of this song.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak