Anyone Watching the G******** ********* Auction?

Comments

• There's only 2 records I would drop big loot for:

East of Underground and G***** C******* (hi paycheck!)

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    gaddamnit! i passed on it about 4 months ago because a dealer wanted $150 for it, thinking that the market price maxed at a bill.

Good God!

I can't believe you saw one for sale, never mind didn't buy it!

I'm pretty sure Rey got his for under $200 - in fact, I was thinking
    this could be had for around that, until the hype of the reissue built
    up and people started lining up to bid their life savings on it...

I thought I remembered him winning it for around $150--whatever his winning bid was, I remember being surprised that he didn't have to put up more.

Will Rey deign to discuss such vulgarities as the price he paid for his copy with us?

Is this Rey's copy?

The fact that the seller described that clearly damaged sleeve as a "VG," might have had prospective bidders worried that his description of the vinyl was overly generous.

I saw that one too. Ended close to $300, not $150.

Wow, haven't bought anything from the UK in quite a while, and didn't realize how weak the dollar had gotten. 134 GBP would = almost twice as many dollars today. Was that the case this time last year when that auction closed?

I think so. It was around 1.8USD to the pound when I was there last February.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    gaddamnit! i passed on it about 4 months ago because a dealer wanted $150 for it, thinking that the market price maxed at a bill.

Dude.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

What market? I didn't think this LP was in serious rotation with any frequency. It's not like a Fania piece.

it says the label is a division of mary lou records. as in mary lou williams?

• Mary Lou was an NY latin label. I've always wondered about any relation to MLW.

• Mary Lou was an NY latin label. I've always wondered about any relation to MLW.

No relation to MLW as far as I know, its another Al Santiago related venture.

I can't believe people are creaming over this record, its like Boscoe made by Puerto Ricans.

• Y*** A** A B**** O* D**** for T***** T*** W**.

Shhhh it s a secret.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Mary Lou was an NY latin label. I've always wondered about any relation to MLW.

No relation to MLW as far as I know, its another Al Santiago related venture.

I can't believe people are creaming over this record, its like Boscoe made by Puerto Ricans.

Actually, that's probably not too far off the mark except that I don't remember what Boscoe sounds like. Every since I served bean dip off it, it doesn't play so well.

• Y*** A** A B**** O* D**** for T***** T*** W**.

Shhhh it s a secret.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Naldo's copy on popsike:

Naldo's copy on Waxidermy review:

FAKE PIC FOR REVIEW!

Photoshopped to the max by a 5 years old. Would this man be still consider a "baller" after this?

• damn.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    That's it, I'm upgradng. S*** y*** b** g*** u*.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    that record sucks

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    you can't afford it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I sweat this record, but I am surprised it's so big
    with people who collect mainly funky and soulful Latin.
    I think it's appeal is that it has a pretty unique style -
    folk-pop with jangly guitar, like the Beau Brummels or something,
    mixed with Latin percussion and off-the-wall vocal harmonies...
    throw in the backstory, and it's just a very individual and
    desirable album. If the re-pop is legit, I'll be grabbing that.

• i'll ball out for latin more than anything else (shout to crazypoprock and his selling me the Exciters s/t panama jawn)...

...but, I have no interest in this record. just doesn't do it from a latin/latin soul perspective for me. agree with SoI's take, but couldn't have articulated it that well.

I plan on going balls out at some point for a color cover Har You, though. That shit is no joke, and appeals to me for so many reasons. I sweat it like i'm puffin' a bong in the steamroom with guzzo.

i'm puffin' a bong in the steamroom with guzzo.

the AYO factor in these words is beyond measure.

• i'm puffin' a bong in the steamroom with guzzo.

the AYO factor in these words is beyond measure.

hell, on second look, that even made me laugh. all goes to his puffin' and working out thread, but that doesn't matter now.

SoI, i just worked 65 of the most boring minutes of college hockey that have ever been played: replay at the 0-0 tie between BU and UMass-Lowell. Jesus. Awful.

SoI, i just worked 65 of the most boring minutes of college hockey that have ever been played: replay at the 0-0 tie between BU and UMass-Lowell. Jesus. Awful.

Woulda been a good chance to show me the ropes

• SoI, i just worked 65 of the most boring minutes of college hockey that have ever been played: replay at the 0-0 tie between BU and UMass-Lowell. Jesus. Awful.

Woulda been a good chance to show me the ropes

2/17 (sat) and the America East tourney the 2nd Weekend of March...those are my last dates there. i'll see if i can get you in thurrr.

• i just worked 65 of the most boring minutes of college hockey that have ever been played

another reason why fighting is allowed in juniors

• i just worked 65 of the most boring minutes of college hockey that have ever been played

another reason why fighting is allowed in juniors

Those are the replays i'm NOT allowed to show...

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    yeah ive been watching this. i also watched reynaldo's copy too. ive only heard two tracks off this lp is it solid?

yeah ive been watching this. i also watched reynaldo's copy too. ive only heard two tracks off this lp is it solid?

Personally, I think it's a really cool Latin soul album. But as you can see above, opinions vary. Is it the best Latin soul album ever made? Probably not but I just love the backstory behind these guys and the kind of sound they put together.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Personally, I think it's a really cool Latin soul album. But as you can see above, opinions vary. Is it the best Latin soul album ever made? Probably not but I just love the backstory behind these guys and the kind of sound they put together.

If you're going to insist on rating it as a Latin soul album, then it's a terrible record.

But it's not a Latin soul album.

• yeah ive been watching this. i also watched reynaldo's copy too. ive only heard two tracks off this lp is it solid?

what is the story behind these dudes? i'm not about to jump into the fray, but a good backstory adds a lot to records like these- ie., my desire to ball outta control on a Har You or Stark Reality.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

what is the story behind these dudes? i'm not about to jump into the fray, but a good backstory adds a lot to records like these- ie., my desire to ball outta control on a Har You or Stark Reality.

= "talk me into putting up a G?"

Check Jeff Chang's book--everyone on this board should really check it, regardless of whether or not they're interested in this record.

• G? dunno. but, those are the two records i would spend more than $300 on. and, a large part of that is backstory. har you is a good story about kids making music with a teacher...sort of the ultimate kids/hs band album.

Stark has a similar backstory, and my wife works for wgbh, and loves her job/working there. i love their place in the city of boston as a cultural force, so as piece of music, as well as local history, the back story means i would spend more for it.

these two are just examples of great music meeting obscure backstory that make it more compelling. I don't really LOVE the music on ghetto bros. so i won't be talked into it, no matter how compelling the backstory. Just curious though- i'll check the book.

i'm not about to drop mad loot on either of them anytime soon- but ala Ferrari, if i ever have a fat record fund/paypal account, i'd wipe it out for those.

• = "talk me into putting up a G?"

it is now clear to me that i took this comment too seriously, and felt the need to offer some leeeengthy reasoning on why i want some records and not others. oh well.

to all ghetto bros ballers- best of luck. may the gods of snipe bestow upon you six seconds of heaven.

Here's a link with some info to hold
    you over until you read the book:

http://www.cantstopwontstop.com/w_art_carlos.cfm

If you're going to insist on rating it as a Latin soul album, then it's a terrible record.

But it's not a Latin soul album.

Faux,
    How could you classify it? I guess it could also be called a Latin rock album but I get the sense you wouldn't be more favorable to that either.

All I know is that "I Saw A Tear" is