Mirror Ball Question...

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I just removed my ceiling fan and I wanted to put my mirror ball there instead. Is there any kits out there that I can hard wire it with out having to add an outlet? That would be sweet! I'm not so mechanically inclined...all apologies.

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i thought this thread was going to be about neil young.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    i thought this thread was going to be about neil young.

Same here.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Sorry I should of said mirror ball instalation question...my bad
    by the way...I like the album mirror ball...I'm the ocean was my favorite track on there..haven't listen to it in awhile though.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I got a DISCO BALL that shines out perfect little Wu-tang logos. I'm not even kidding. Has anyone else seen this phenomenon? Any physisisists want to explain that one?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Sorry I should of said mirror ball instalation question...my bad
    by the way...I like the album mirror ball...I'm the ocean was my favorite track on there..haven't listen to it in awhile though.

yeah, sorry to derail your thread. can't really answer your question though.

• black wire, white wire, ground. 2 bolts and the when you give youeself a jolt.

Assuming its made to be hard wired, and not a radio shack cheapo ball that just plugs in.

Good luck

• what kind of plug is it?

i'm no electrician, but if it is 3 prong plug that plugs directly into a 110V outlet. it is pretty easy you only need a pair of pliers with wire cutters, a sharp knife to trip back the rubber on the wire, a screwdriver, and a few parts i mention below. you can try following these steps:

DISCLAIMER: Improper electrical wiring can cause fire hazards, shock hazards and even electrocution if not done properly. You MUST have a basic understanding of electricity before attempting an electrical project. Ensure all wires are de-energized before working with them. I do not assume ANY responsibility for any screw up???s or other mishaps on your part. This is for information ONLY, what you do with the information is your own business.[/b]

1. turn the power off at the circut breaker.

2. make sure the power is off to the ceiling junction box.

3. If the plug has a rubber jacket around all of the wires like the industrial extension cords strip that back so you can see which wire goes to which part of the plug.

4. make a note of which wire connects to which prong of the plug. generally the large prong is neutral (this is the one that plugs in top left), the small prong is hot (this one plugs in top right), the longer center bottom prong is the ground.

5. cut the plug off.

6. strip back the rubber coating of each of the wires.

7. the junction box should have 3 wires a black wire, a white wire, and a different color wire (varies but most often green or bare) generally the black wire is hot, the white wire is neutral and the green or bare wire is ground.

8. make certain that the power is cut to that junction box. you will get hurt in the next step if this is not the case.

9. twist the corresponding wires of the plug and the junction box together using wire nuts (you can get these at homedepot or any other hardware store) hot to hot, neutral to neutral, ground to ground. make sure you have a cover for your junction box. (get at home depot too) punch out the hole and run the wires through that. exposed junction boxes without coverplates are dangerous.

10. make sure that it is not possible for exposed sections of wires to cross. you do not want to close it up the junction box. and have an exposed hot and neutral wire touching. this will cause a shortcirut and can result in fire.