DJ Ivory Hear No Evil vol 2

dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
edited July 2016 in Music Talk
Was a tracklist ever compiled for this? This mix is still wrecking me.

Comments

• you might want to ask on diggerswithgratitude.com
    serious hiphop talk on there. was number 2 the one with brainfood,brainstorm and pelon-years to build in the beginning? i only heard one ivory cd and it was craaaaazy.

how many he got all together?

anyone heard dj koco's mix? [sp?]
    edans fast rap?

cardova recently made a stellar mix with some ridiculously hot obscurities and classics.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    you might want to ask on diggerswithgratitude.com
    serious hiphop talk on there. was number 2 the one with brainfood,brainstorm and pelon-years to build in the beginning? i only heard one ivory cd and it was craaaaazy.

edans fast rap?

cardova recently made a stellar mix with some ridiculously hot obscurities and classics.

Vol 2 opens up w/ Ultramagnetic. Features Phill Most Chill, Antoinette, Foundation 7, Culture Shock Intl. and friends. I don't know how many others he's made, but the selection is right.

I'd love to check out Sampo's mix.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    you might want to ask on diggerswithgratitude.com

edans fast rap?

Vol 2 opens up w/ Ultramagnetic. Features Phill Most Chill, Antoinette, Foundation 7, Culture Shock Intl. and friends. I don't know how many others he's made, but the selection is right.

When was vol. 2 released?

I want to say a 3-4 years ago already. Very necessary, and perhaps singlehandedly brought random rap into the fore of record collector water cooler conversations.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I feel like a jackass for not copping vol. 1 and 2 when it came out.
    I was too busy buying dollar bin breaks and 3rd rate hip hop 12s".

• I feel like a jackass for not copping vol. 1 and 2 when it came out.
    I was too busy buying dollar bin breaks and 3rd rate hip hop 12s".

3rd rate hiphop 12s of today = djivory random rap raer of tomorrow

• Vol 2 opens up w/ Ultramagnetic. Features Phill Most Chill, Antoinette, Foundation 7, Culture Shock Intl. and friends. I don't know how many others he's made, but the selection is right.

i dont know culture shock intl...wheres that from?
    imnot too crazy about compredator. i think im the only one who isnt.

anyone have any of the djivory's? or are they still available anywhere?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

All I know is that it sells for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on ebay. I will look for the mp3's & post.

peace

h

• i dont know culture shock intl...wheres that from?
    imnot too crazy about compredator. i think im the only one who isnt.

anyone have any of the djivory's? or are they still available anywhere?

Tracks 3 (The Jury - "$5 With a Flyer") and 28 (Ray Love - "Rap Fiend") are from the "Culture Shock International" compilation... We've posted lists for both the compilations on one of the threads on there...

I love "Compredator"... Is the guy trying to sound like Rakim? Of course, but there are worse people out there to imitate...

All I know is that it sells for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on ebay. I will look for the mp3's & post.

peace

h

Is it doing more than $50 now?

*sureshot comes through with proper CSI information feed*

If you're on soulseek I can send you vol 2.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

More like 500 bucks, my friend. Don't tell me you dropped one for 50?

peace

h

• i only heard one ivory cd and it was craaaaazy.

Ivory has come out with three mixes that I know of -- the two HNEs and a really dope joint called "The Zulu Beat"... Some incredible stuff on all of the mixes and he's a guy who does it for the love of the music as much as anyone out there... Rumor is he has another one in the making (possibly the third installment in the HNE series, but don't quote me on it)...

DJ Koco has a TON of mixes: "Back to Da Old School" (which, despite the title, is a "random rap" mix), "Back to the Lab", "Who Got The Flava", "A To Z", and others... Songs typically run the 1988 to 1993/4 gamut... Some definite gems and the first/only place I've heard Cage 1's "Straight From Cage", Prince Obsession's "Prince Obsession", and a few others I'm keeping

til they're in my crates...

More like 500 bucks, my friend. Don't tell me you dropped one for 50?

peace

h

HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK

sike.

I missed one on ebay by 1 week for $53 a while ago.

• i only heard one ivory cd and it was craaaaazy.

Ivory has come out with three mixes that I know of -- the two HNEs and a really dope joint called "The Zulu Beat"... Some incredible stuff on all of the mixes and he's a guy who does it for the love of the music as much as anyone out there... Rumor is he has another one in the making (possibly the third installment in the HNE series, but don't quote me on it)...

DJ Koco has a TON of mixes: "Back to Da Old School" (which, despite the title, is a "random rap" mix), "Back to the Lab", "Who Got The Flava", "A To Z", and others... Songs typically run the 1988 to 1993/4 gamut... Some definite gems and the first/only place I've heard Cage 1's "Straight From Cage", Prince Obsession's "Prince Obsession", and a few others I'm keeping

til they're in my crates...

daaaam, i knew we would need some DWG representation to straighten this thread out. So is Zulu beat any diferent themed than HNE? are all the koco's good? or do some stand out. people are desperately searching for that Cage 1. i guess thats where it started.

where are the kocos and ivorys available? how can i support these dudes?
    (also i been meaning to make a lil tape myself and i dont want to play myself by putting things on there they already rocked)

(also i been meaning to make a lil tape myself and i dont want to play myself by putting things on there they already rocked)

Don't worry about what's been used and put out some new shit!

• So is Zulu beat any diferent themed than HNE?

It's an homage to Afrika Islam's WHBI Zulu Beats radio show, complete w/ vintage commercials for the Roxy ("The Roxy, the Roxy - street culture's at the ROXY!").

• daaaam, i knew we would need some DWG representation to straighten this thread out. So is Zulu beat any diferent themed than HNE?

Zulu Beat is an entirely different theme and, if judged on overall mix quality, stands out as the best of Ivory's three offerings... It attempts to capture and recreate the flavor from Afrika Islam's "Zulu Beat" mix show on WHBI from the early half of the 80s... And does so VERY successfully.. Lots of breaks and grooves on it... Highly recommended even if I prefer straight old school hip hop and Golden Age material...

are all the koco's good? or do some stand out. people are desperately searching for that Cage 1. i guess thats where it started.

All the Koco's are solid... He tends to like to listen to himself juggle from time-to-time, but the music selection is good... If I had to choose a favorite, I'd go with "Back to Da Old School", but you won't really go wrong with any of them... His mixes have set off a secondary "random rap" market made up of the likes of Lyric Lords, Ebony Broadcast System, Lord Aaqil, and other PA/Philly treats (think you've been the beneficiary of a few of these sales, no? )...

The Cage 1 made its debut nine minutes and fifty-three seconds into the B-Side of "Who Got The Flava"... A few people that knew of it beforehand, but Koco's mix brought it to the digging massive... As soon as it was identified and thrown on a want list, everyone and their mom was looking for it (and for good reason!)...

The Koco's are still be available at various spots in Japan...

Check:

http://www.donuts-record.com/mixtape/mixtape.html (gotta love the "Back to the Lab" mix that was obviously inspired by the incredibly dope "Back to the Lab" compilation)...

You can also click on "Products" at the top of the page, select "DJ Koco", and listen to snippets of a few of his mixes...

The Ivory's used to be available in the UK and US, but they've long sold out...

If you're planning on going the Philly route on your mix, you'll definitely want to check the Koco tapes... Still, there are so many undiscovered gems out there that you should be ok...

• So is Zulu beat any diferent themed than HNE?

It's an homage to Afrika Islam's WHBI Zulu Beats radio show, complete w/ vintage commercials for the Roxy ("The Roxy, the Roxy - street culture's at the ROXY!").

That commercial had me buggin' -- I thought I was the only person that remembered it and there goes Ivory throwin' it on the mix... And not only that, but I only had the first half as my tape cut off the last part... The second was a revelation...

"Proper ID required... And wear your funkiest attire"...

• His mixes have set off a secondary "random rap" market made up of the likes of Lyric Lords, Ebony Broadcast System, Lord Aaqil, and other PA/Philly treats (think you've been the beneficiary of a few of these sales, no? )...
    no doubt! is koco from japan?
    lyric lords is kindof ,but maybe thats me being too opinionated.
    the only copy of aaqil ive seen is in my crates. tough tough tough.

The Cage 1 made its debut nine minutes and fifty-three seconds into the B-Side of "Who Got The Flava"... A few people that knew of it beforehand, but Koco's mix brought it to the digging massive... As soon as it was identified and thrown on a want list, everyone and their mom was looking for it (and for good reason!)...
    nine minutes and 53 seconds!!!! hahaha. thats some drug addict shit right therrrr

If you're planning on going the Philly route on your mix, you'll definitely want to check the Koco tapes... Still, there are so many undiscovered gems out there that you should be ok...
    im gonna mix it up. but yeah, theres so many things in this town, that wil figure significantly. i feel like i find some new (old)shit every other week.anyone got info on MC Jazzy-J???

• does anyone know if meatyogre ever made a chicago mix?
    i remember he was talking about it a year or two ago.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    does anyone know if meatyogre ever made a chicago mix?
    i remember he was talking about it a year or two ago.

Yessir, in collaboration with label-mate Maker. Meat Your Maker should still be available online. Meaty might still have a few copies floating around as well. Good stuff!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    A friend sent me that "Rap Fiend" track on MP3 the other day. It is truly some bugged out shit. Nightmare inducing. Albeit in a good way. I think.

• courtesy of dwg... Tracks for hne 1 and 2..

360 - Years to Build
    Lazy Laz - Mystery
    Get Wit It Productions - Are You Ready
    Busy Boy - Classical
    Makeba & Skratch - Aint It Funky
    Lightnin Lee & Poppy Pee - Big Time Chillin
    Kev E Kev & AKB - Listen to the Man
    Bizzie Boyz - Hold the Lafta
    Cobra MCees - The M Go
    Supreme Nyborn ??? What If I Was Serious
    Eric B & Rakim ??? Let the Rhythm Hit Em
    III Most Wanted ??? Calm Down
    Bolaji ??? Run 4 Cover
    Sir IBU ??? Peacemaker
    Phase N Rhythm ??? Brainfood
    Raheem ??? I???m the King
    Lord Finesse ??? Keep It Flowin
    JVC Force ??? 6 Feet Back on the Map
    Aaron Dee & C Nice ??? Soul Power
    Krown Rulers ??? Kick the Ball
    Steady B ??? Get Physical
    2 Deep 2 Sleep ??? G Thang
    BDP ??? Ya Slippin
    MC Mitchski ??? Brooklyn Blew Up the Bridge
    45 King ??? Brainstorm
    Dollar $ Bill & Cut Master KG ??? People Don???t Know Ya
    Live N Effect Posse ??? I???m Getting Physical
    TDS Mob ??? Crushin Em

Ultramagnetic MCs ??? Bait (Extended 7??? version)
    The Jury ??? 5$ With A Flyer
    True Abdul ??? Goin Solo
    Top Choice Clique ??? Peace of Mind
    The Elite ??? Nympho Klepto
    Antoinette ??? I Got An Attitude
    Ron B ??? Stitch by Stitch
    Top Priority ??? Let the Homicides Begin
    Priority One ??? I Cant Go for That
    Kid Flash ??? Aint Nuthin But A Party
    MC Capone ??? Smoove Style
    Bizzie Boyz ??? Dope
    Chill Rob G ??? Court Is Now In Session (Remix)
    DJ Scratch & G-O-D ??? The Party Is Jumpin
    JVC Force ??? Doin Damage
    Zee Rocks the Copy ??? Speed It Up A Little Faster
    MC Mello ??? Bizzie Rhymin
    DJ Mink ??? Hey Hey Can U Relate
    Ringmaster ??? These Rhymes are My Rhymes
    Keek & Qagee ??? Don???t Say It Sing It
    Prince Lover Dalu ??? All Praise
    Foundation 7 ??? Compredator
    Sha Bar ??? Lethal Waepon (Instrumental)
    Grandmaster Caz & Whipper Whip ??? To All the Party People
    3rd Dynasty ??? Gots Ta Get Funky
    Trio Connection ??? Keep On Dansin
    Ray Love ??? Rap Fiend
    Omniscene ??? Lost In The Music
    BDK ??? Aint No Halfsteppin (Vocal Remix)
    Taking Your Business ??? Long Live Hip Hop
    Phill Most Chill ??? On Tempo Jack
    Nice N Smooth ??? Skill Trade

• Damn, how'd I miss this thread??

I agree with Sureshot that Compredator track is serious fuckin heat & the Zulu Beat mix is definitely worth getting aswell...DJ Kocos Shimokita House mix is another good one to cop (it introduced me to the seriously dope Sudden Def - Defs Penalty track). I dont know where you can buy Kocos stuff, I dwnloaded them all off DWG...

For anyone whos a fan off these mixes 2 others worth copping aswell, Muro & K Prince - WKOD & DJ Shadow - Diminishing Returns

The B side to that Cage 1 was on Azeez's mixtape aswell, an absolute cracker of a record. I mananged to get 2 copies within a few months of each other a while back but I havent seen it since, early 90s Delaware rap at its finest....

that Culture Shock LP sold for +$500 once alright, normally its a $100 record, just another moment of madness for ebay

btw where can I get Cardovas mix?? Cardova? want to let us know? I wouldnt mind hearing it...

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    courtesy of dwg... Tracks for hne 1 and 2..

360 - Years to Build
    Lazy Laz - Mystery
    Get Wit It Productions - Are You Ready
    Busy Boy - Classical
    Makeba & Skratch - Aint It Funky
    Lightnin Lee & Poppy Pee - Big Time Chillin
    Kev E Kev & AKB - Listen to the Man
    Bizzie Boyz - Hold the Lafta
    Cobra MCees - The M Go
    Supreme Nyborn ??? What If I Was Serious
    Eric B & Rakim ??? Let the Rhythm Hit Em
    III Most Wanted ??? Calm Down
    Bolaji ??? Run 4 Cover
    Sir IBU ??? Peacemaker
    Phase N Rhythm ??? Brainfood
    Raheem ??? I???m the King
    Lord Finesse ??? Keep It Flowin
    JVC Force ??? 6 Feet Back on the Map
    Aaron Dee & C Nice ??? Soul Power
    Krown Rulers ??? Kick the Ball
    Steady B ??? Get Physical
    2 Deep 2 Sleep ??? G Thang
    BDP ??? Ya Slippin
    MC Mitchski ??? Brooklyn Blew Up the Bridge
    45 King ??? Brainstorm
    Dollar $ Bill & Cut Master KG ??? People Don???t Know Ya
    Live N Effect Posse ??? I???m Getting Physical
    TDS Mob ??? Crushin Em

Ultramagnetic MCs ??? Bait (Extended 7??? version)
    The Jury ??? 5$ With A Flyer
    True Abdul ??? Goin Solo
    Top Choice Clique ??? Peace of Mind
    The Elite ??? Nympho Klepto
    Antoinette ??? I Got An Attitude
    Ron B ??? Stitch by Stitch
    Top Priority ??? Let the Homicides Begin
    Priority One ??? I Cant Go for That
    Kid Flash ??? Aint Nuthin But A Party
    MC Capone ??? Smoove Style
    Bizzie Boyz ??? Dope
    Chill Rob G ??? Court Is Now In Session (Remix)
    DJ Scratch & G-O-D ??? The Party Is Jumpin
    JVC Force ??? Doin Damage
    Zee Rocks the Copy ??? Speed It Up A Little Faster
    MC Mello ??? Bizzie Rhymin
    DJ Mink ??? Hey Hey Can U Relate
    Ringmaster ??? These Rhymes are My Rhymes
    Keek & Qagee ??? Don???t Say It Sing It
    Prince Lover Dalu ??? All Praise
    Foundation 7 ??? Compredator
    Sha Bar ??? Lethal Waepon (Instrumental)
    Grandmaster Caz & Whipper Whip ??? To All the Party People
    3rd Dynasty ??? Gots Ta Get Funky
    Trio Connection ??? Keep On Dansin
    Ray Love ??? Rap Fiend
    Omniscene ??? Lost In The Music
    BDK ??? Aint No Halfsteppin (Vocal Remix)
    Taking Your Business ??? Long Live Hip Hop
    Phill Most Chill ??? On Tempo Jack
    Nice N Smooth ??? Skill Trade

Damn I slept on the first HNE and Zulu Beats my friend was just hitting me up for a copy. Anyone soulseek me that shit?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    btw where can I get Cardovas mix?? Cardova? want to let us know? I wouldnt mind hearing it...

George Big Daddy has it at concourserecords.com, that's all I know. I slept on HNE vol 2 and the zulu beat mix when they came out - why must I cry?

• here's The zulu beat mix

Zulu Beat Mix

it is a very heavy mix... The P Brothers are pretty much the only UK producers that i will always pick up their records.. Has anyone got a spare copy of the Heavy Bronx Experience EP's volume 1 or 3?? i'm missing them.

Also, i heard ages ago that they were dropping their LP - "the Castle" soon.... anyone know owt about this??? After hearing the beats on that Cappo LP and the couple of recent singles i'm fiending for some more zulu drums.

• btw where can I get Cardovas mix?? Cardova? want to let us know? I wouldnt mind hearing it...

i hav some copies to throw on smalltimehustle...but ive been having computer issues that im barely starting to work out.

nice mix tho, its got the necks snapping "dance the exclaibur" on it!

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    nice mix tho, its got the necks snapping "dance the exclaibur" on it!

That D-Moet and Xcalibur 12" is one of my favourites from the era.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    more zulu drums.

that break section in the mix is beyond me. I don't know one of these records. Anyone has a list maybe?
    Especially the one that kicks in at 18:44 with the heavy kick workout is completely bonk ayers...Ivory is that dude...