Rhodes HELP!

chasechase 767 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
looking to by a 1983 suitcase 73, never had a Rhodes, what should I look for condition wise?It has the amp and speaker, but they do not power on, hoping that will be an easy fix.

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Did those later Rhodes come with an amp and speaker? If yours does I say take it for real.
    As for the piano - make sure it works! Have the seller plug it into any amp and make sure there's not something else wrong with it.
    I would make sure the action is in good condition and do a once over on the inside of the piano if you can. The mechanics of it are pretty straight forward. I know you already know what's up so just a quick look at the manual should give you a good idea of how it works.

This might help you too:

If you have any other questions holler in a PM. I just took my Rhodes to get repaired and started learning alot more about it.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    dude says the keys, tines, pickups, tonebars, harp, etc are all in good shape.

he said this is his second one, he said he had a stage model that he sold a while back...

guy seems on the level...

shit I cant WAIT!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    its all about the wurly.

no but for real.. look for the sustain pedal. some sales dont include that, and a rhodes without the sustain is like korean food with out kim chi.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    here is the pic

• How much?

• slightly off topic, but i saw Rhodes' booth at NAMM last week and was thoroughly intrigued by their '07 come-back mark/model. crazy.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    slightly off topic, but i saw Rhodes' booth at NAMM last week and was thoroughly intrigued by their '07 come-back mark/model. crazy.

please report to the "NAMM" thread

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I love mine but one key is 'flat' and the pickup isn't as sharp as it should be. I love playing it on rainy days (at least the very few that exist in my area)

• chasechase 767 Posts
    got it in the trunk, had to come back to work...

she is big and fat and I love her.. beautifull condtion.. chrome is a little rusty, one lil rip in the tolex, and the amp powers on only sometimes.. dude even had some extra tines..

but for $350, shiiiiiiiiiiittt I got a big grin on today...

thanks for the help, I will post some pics up later

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    there are several companies that specialize on refurbishing epianos.
    Just google em

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

• dec0ndec0n 38 Posts
    man, I'd love to own one of those babies, came really close on an eBay auction bout 2 years ago, they don't come up so often in Australia...

• chasechase 767 Posts
    just got this beast upstairs (3rd floor FUCK!)

my motif es just got

• reskresk 391 Posts
    ive owned two rhodes.
    one i bought in tampa for 400, it was a suitcase model. Had the same problem (i believe) where it wouldnt turn on all the time. Simple fix, it was the fuse holder, which doesnt stay in tight. If it didnt turn on, i just had to twist it a little to tighten it up. The fuse is on the side of the amp by the outputs. This one got sold over the summer though (out of lack of use) when i moved back to miami.

the second one i bought in tallahassee for 50 dollars (people sleep on everything there), but sold it immediatley for lack of space to my homie for 50 dollars. That one was the stage model (no amp) and surprisingly was completely in tune.

• man, I'd love to own one of those babies, came really close on an eBay auction bout 2 years ago, they don't come up so often in Australia...

Totally... I paid $1600 AUD for mine (1979 88 key, no sustain peddle, no amp)
    But it's at my girls place in melbourne and i'm in brisbane