Little Miss Sunshine, Best Picture nomination?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
please be serious

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Best Picture Nominations:[/b]

Babel
    The Departed
    Letters from Iwo Jima
    Little Miss Sunshine
    The Queen

How was Dreamgirls not nominated?

Letters from Iwo Jima?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    because fox has it rigged that the girl from American Idol will win best actress, its part of a promotional tie-in.

• ok, so i rented this movie last weekend but only watched like the first half. not becuase i hated it, i was just tired. but i want to know if any angelenos caught the tribute to LA googie diners. the chicken bucket was from Dinah's, and the first diner they stopped at had Pann's menus. im wondering if this was a theme throughout the movie?

dinah's

[sorry, they have their pics locked up]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xpressbus/361512469/

pann's

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    fuck that no borat.

• the biggest Oscar sin is that Leo DeCaprio is nominated for best actor for a roll with THE worst accent ever on film (Ok, Keanu's in Dracula was worse) Leo's S. African accent sounds like me trying to do an Austrailian accent with 8 beers in me...mind you, I didnt see "blood diamond" but from what I have seen, he could channel Marlon Brando and Sir Lawrence O'livier and that accent would make him look like the lead in a Midwest Community College production of Hamlet...

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I actually enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine ... what can I say, the grandfather character was goddamned hilarious.

But Best Picture?

Will Smith v. Forrest Whitaker is a tough call, but I hope either one of them gets it.

I actually think Whitaker acted out of his mind in Scotland.

• Will Smith v. Forrest Whitaker is a tough call, but I hope either one of them gets it.

is that movie worth seeing?

btw, i liked little miss sunshine and thought leo dicaprio was good in Blood Diamonds...another movie i enjoyed.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I fucking excited. I love that picture.

I think Im gonna watch it now.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    the biggest Oscar sin is that Leo DeCaprio is nominated for best actor for a roll with THE worst accent ever on film (Ok, Keanu's in Dracula was worse) Leo's S. African accent sounds like me trying to do an Austrailian accent with 8 beers in me...mind you, I didnt see "blood diamond" but from what I have seen, he could channel Marlon Brando and Sir Lawrence O'livier and that accent would make him look like the lead in a Midwest Community College production of Hamlet...

WHAT?? he got nominated for blood diamond and NOT the departed?
    i actually thought he was really good in the departed

Will Smith v. Forrest Whitaker is a tough call, but I hope either one of them gets it.

is that movie worth seeing?

I thought it was a great film. Even better if you have some context about the period and history of Amin, which I read up on afterward. It was playing at the Ritz then, but should be hitting major theaters soon I heard.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

Babel
    The Departed
    Letters from Iwo Jima
    Little Miss Sunshine
    The Queen

ive only seen little miss, and it was definitly missing somthing.

i think this got screwed by the release timing... but was it any good?

im gonna go stare at that pic of beyonce and her grandma in the irreplacable thread. kinda hypnotic.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    I really liked this movie. I saw some taiwan boot leg of it that was in english with english sub titles that you couldnt remove and i still liked it. there was plunty of original not recycled comedy in this film. definetly worthy of best picture. movies this year were shit.
    the rest nominated for best picture i either i have problems with or havent seen/heard of.

i think this got screwed by the release timing... but was it any good?

Wonderful film. A bit too "showtuny" for my taste homes, and I think you would agree, but certainly worthy of Best Picture nomination, IMO.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    the biggest Oscar sin is that Leo DeCaprio is nominated for best actor for a roll with THE worst accent ever on film (Ok, Keanu's in Dracula was worse) Leo's S. African accent sounds like me trying to do an Austrailian accent with 8 beers in me...mind you, I didnt see "blood diamond" but from what I have seen, he could channel Marlon Brando and Sir Lawrence O'livier and that accent would make him look like the lead in a Midwest Community College production of Hamlet...

I remember when Cahoots (off of the strut) got a few of us passes to see The Departed before it came out and they showed the trailer for Blood Diamond. Almost everyone in the place laughed their asses off when they first heard Leo.

But... You should watch the movie. It's a really good film. Pretty damn moving and well done.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Babel was one of my favorite pictures of the year. But best is a subjective opinion word. And awards like these are literally industry hand jobs. I could give a fuck less about any of these award shows. It's all just biased propaganda.

- spidey

• Best Picture Nominations:[/b]

Babel

please be serious that was slathered with a on the side

Little Miss Sunshine ?

Did we see the same movie?

- spidey

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts

Babel

please be serious that was slathered with a on the side

Babel is this year's Crash.

"THE ACADEMY IS REALLY MAKING A DIFFERENCE BY VOTING FOR THIS FILM WITH A MESSAGE"

Ugh.

• crash was good, but i wasn't really feeling how people where toting as same groundbreaking film on racism in America.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

FYI, Children of Men was the best movie of the year. It's not even a discussion.

Oh and Crash sucked !

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Haven't seen Blood Diamond and with that line "Bling Bang" I never will. I agree. He was really good in The Departed. The frantic pill-popping role really fit him. Much better than The Aviator.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

FYI, Children of Men was the best movie of the year. It's not even a discussion.

It's not even a discussion.

• the biggest Oscar sin is that Leo DeCaprio is nominated for best actor for a roll with THE worst accent ever on film (Ok, Keanu's in Dracula was worse) Leo's S. African accent sounds like me trying to do an Austrailian accent with 8 beers in me...mind you, I didnt see "blood diamond" but from what I have seen, he could channel Marlon Brando and Sir Lawrence O'livier and that accent would make him look like the lead in a Midwest Community College production of Hamlet...

he was nominated for BOTH at the golden globes.

See, the problem here is that you're praising Leo di Caprio and passing off what was perhaps the best Hollywood sleeper film of the year.

Next we're gonna be hearing about how Halle Berry should be up for lifetime achievement award... but seriously, I heard the Departed was good, and I'm sure Leo is up to snuff.

• numericnumeric 152 Posts

Little miss was ok. Not sure I could ever watch it again tho. Far from best picture.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    little miss was friggin horrible. I hated it. the only funny dude in it was the grandfather and they killed him off way to soon. Shit was written badly, i couldnt tell if they were tying to get all deep and serious or try to be funny, the plot was chessy, the ending was gaye. I hated every piece of it except the grandpa sniffing heroin in the old folks home, and him cracking jokes. It just was realllllllly overhyped and imo was a waist of bandwidth downloading it.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    "you don't speak because of friedrich nietzsche?"

that had to be the sureshot winning line of that movie. one of my all time faves. it's a really deep movie with alot going on, you gotta pay alot of attention to get most of it.

It's not even a discussion.

No doubt in my mind god, Wordup!

- spidey