Little Miss Sunshine, Best Picture nomination?

2»

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    LMS was a good movie, but it's far from being funny or as interesting as everyone said it is. The roadside scene with the boy who finds out that he is colorblind was filmed about half a mile down the road from where I live.

Crash was incredibly corny, in my opinion.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    I actually enjoyed Little Miss Sunshine ... what can I say, the grandfather character was goddamned hilarious.

But Best Picture?

alan arkin ruled.

• BABEL[/b] > children of men

well actually every 2nd movie i watched in the last months was better than children of men.

Perfume The Story Of A Murderer was aight.
    ,...but who gives a shit about the oscar, for me the best flics in the last years came from france, denmark and germany. and their category best foreign language film of the year is pure bullsh*t!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    the biggest Oscar sin is that Leo DeCaprio is nominated for best actor for a roll with THE worst accent ever on film (Ok, Keanu's in Dracula was worse) Leo's S. African accent sounds like me trying to do an Austrailian accent with 8 beers in me...mind you, I didnt see "blood diamond" but from what I have seen, he could channel Marlon Brando and Sir Lawrence O'livier and that accent would make him look like the lead in a Midwest Community College production of Hamlet...

WHAT?? he got nominated for blood diamond and NOT the departed?
    i actually thought he was really good in the departed

See, the problem here is that you're praising Leo di Caprio and passing off what was perhaps the best Hollywood sleeper film of the year.

Next we're gonna be hearing about how Halle Berry should be up for lifetime achievement award... but seriously, I heard the Departed was good, and I'm sure Leo is up to snuff.

slept on? um, no. more like overhyped and overrated. the characters in LMS were sitcomy, calculated and they all had their own superficial cookie cutter idiosyncracies that were straight up laughable and had me rolling my eyes nonstop. 1) silent colorblind nietche air force wannabee son 2) suffering gay dude who also happens to me #1 proust scholar 3) unsuccessful bad motivational speaker father 4) outspoken crass grampa druggy. that shit was so heavy handed and annoying. the movie was not that funny or deep. the cutesy vibraphone typical indie flick score was obnoxious as well. i hate movies like this.

i never cared enough about dicaprio to watch his movies on purpose before. but he was more than competent in the departed. recognize! it was a surprise because i have seen him stink it up in movies like Gangs of New York. anyway, i have my doubts about blood diamond cuz i laughed when i heard that accent in the trailer too.but really if you haven't seen the departed, then walk away son (insert taxidermy monkey here)

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

,...but who gives a shit about the oscar, for me the best flics in the last years came from france, denmark and germany. and their category best foreign language film of the year is pure bullsh*t!

What movies are you talking about?

- spidey

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

slept on? um, no. more like overhyped and overrated. the characters in LMS were sitcomy, calculated and they all had their own superficial cookie cutter idiosyncracies that were straight up laughable and had me rolling my eyes nonstop. 1) silent colorblind nietche air force wannabee son 2) suffering gay dude who also happens to me #1 proust scholar 3) unsuccessful bad motivational speaker father 4) outspoken crass grampa druggy. that shit was so heavy handed and annoying. the movie was not that funny or deep. the cutesy vibraphone typical indie flick score was obnoxious as well. i hate movies like this.

Yeah this pretty much sums up my feelings on the movie and I haven't even managed to get to the end of it yet. As soon as the plinky plonky music came over the credits and the little montage of scenes placing every character in their cliched little box I pretty much lost all interest. I think it's called Garden State syndrome.

Filmmakers need to start understanding that having a quirky score and characters who drop references to dead authors does not by itself make a film deep.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Anyone here got lovv for the remarkable Korean pic "Old Boy"?

I believe the Octopus scene is genuinely worthy of the Graham Linn.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Anyone here got lovv for the remarkable Korean pic "Old Boy"?

Excuse me, but I'll need to see your...

There was a fair amount of Old Boy talk on here a while back, and I'm sure there could be again, but this is a current movie thread.

I just watched Children of Men and I can't understand how it could get passed up, yet Little Miss Sunshine gets the nod. Did it come out too close to the deadline? Did it not have broad enough appeal? Is the Academy simply ga ga for goofy hi-jinks?

• My girlfriend thought Little Miss Sunshine was hilarious. I watched it open minded and seriously hardly ever laughed or thought anything was really that clever. Even the obvious set-ups were lack luster. There were huge sections of the movie where I wondered why I was watching this and what I was gonna do after the movie. 1 and a half thumbs down.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Ken Turan in the LA Times speculated that Dreamgirls lost out for a variety of factors, including but not limited to:

*Academy voters were annoyed at the producers' presumption that the movie was an Oscar-contender before it even got released.

*Many people LIKED the film but few really LOVED it and when it comes to how nominations are determined, a small but passionate faction can push a film through more than a plurality of half-hearted supporters.

*"Dreamgirls" was big with women but didn't appeal enough to men.

Personally, I liked the film but it didn't say "Best Picture" to me (nor did "Chicago" for that matter).

Basically, I expect "The Departed" to take this (though maybe "The Queen" or "Letters From Iwo Jima" will prove sleeper contenders). I also fear that Scorsese will get the Oscar purely as a sympathy vote (got knows he's earned it) but I really thought "The Departed" wasn't remotely as good as others thought it was. I think Eastwood or Frears might be able to take this away...most likely Eastwood.