WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR???

PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
1979 ford ltd. stationwagon (blue)....THE BATTLE WAGON as we called itthen I got a... a beige 1978 dodge aspen...THE SOULCRAFTin retrospect that car would of been fly with A S P E N on the front windshield.Oh yea and I rocked a boombox as my soundsystem!

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    First and only love - 1968 custom dodge dart, i bought it for $300 from a guy in Long Island in 1984 and drove it across the country 3 times, New York to Seattle through the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho Panhandle - down the pacific coast to San Diego and then back to New York and then from New York to New Orleans to Boulder and then out to San Francisco through Texas, Colarodo and Utah. It had a big bench seat, and I replaced the ashtray with a beautiful teak wood three drink holder drinkrack off a boat. I drove it around SF for 2 years before the master break cylinder went out for the third time and I just couldnt afford to fix it anymore, so I "left my dart in san francisco."

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    [/img]

although this is a slightly later version, this is essentially my first car. As a city boy, I didn't have a real need to drive until i got serious about the record thing and was driving across the US for leads. So, I got my first car when I was 27. Used of course, this 1992 Ford Probe was a genuine article when it came to the discerning choice for the "want to look cool but don't have much money" generation. It was definitively not cool, but i loved it. When i got her, the previous owner had left a box of cassettes under the drivers side seat, and therin lay Melissa Etheridge, KD Lang, Madonna and Joan Jett tapes. Thus, my car admitted to me that she was gay, and demanded to be called Butch, and that is exactly what I did. I must say though she almost killed me one day by completely seizing on the offramp of the highway and i had to use muscles in my arm i didn't know existed to just barely make it into the ditch and not die by running into traffic. I still miss her.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts

1986 mercury grand marquis! Shit was a beast... especially on gas. 12 mpg or something like that.
    I loved that car. I drove it across country right after i graduated high school. went everywhere in that thing.
    GOODTIMES!

• DJRELAXDJRELAX 452 Posts

but mine had a rag top that didnt come off and it was blue, white, and black.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    1993 Camaro Z28. I had it all pimped out. Lowered, almost every bolt-on modification I could put on it. Had I not hit hard times I was hoping to bore it out, put in a larger cam, supercharger or turbocharge it, roller rockers, nitrous, forged internals, etc. I had high expectation for my baby.

Man, do I miss that car. However, I don't think I'll ever own a muscle car again. They just suck up money. Well, that new 5th Generation Camaro coming out in two years looks pretty sweet. 400HP! Probably pretty expensive.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    midnight blue, white rag top 77 monte carlo with a 425 under the hood. used to run her up to 140+ racing friends on the 101 (280s too bumpy). i miss that girl... she could fit 15 people in the car (inc trunk which ive tried before). memories...

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    my first car was a bitchin' camaro. it was forest green and a paid $600 cash for it.

• 77 Impala, 'cept mine was Green....you could fit a bunch of folks in that thing...imortant when you are 16.

• The first car I owned was a 1980 Honda Civic (mine was blue):

but dad had a 1969 Toronado that I got to drive (and trench the occasional ex-girlfriend's lawn with). muscle car defined:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Well, it wasn't MY car--I shared it with my mom and my sister--but the first car I drove on the regular was a grey 1986 VW Quantum station wagon. It ran fine and had a tape deck--I was quite happy. Also, that thing was built like a tank. My sister, a lousy driver, hit all kinds of stuff--brick walls, parked cars, you name it. Of course, I also hit a couple deer (not that I could help that) and rear-ended somebody while trying to get on the Merritt Parkway. Despite all that, the car held up amazingly well and only needed one bit of reconstructive surgery.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    at one point my dad had a toronado in yellow. I remember the doors were so big I couldn't close them on my own. My mom had a cherry 68 Buick Skylark convertable that we used to drive to the beach.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Damn, you guys all had muscle cars....I got to inherit my grandparents car as my first car.

Looks like the Inspector Gadget car before it turns into that cool sports police car

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    VW GTI 86

Mine was black and was not a rocket like this guy here.
    Oh, and ALSO got towed away when I was living in the U.K.
    (so what if this thread is old)

• 1981 Nissan Datsun 810. I got it in 1996 from my grandma and it had around 30,000 (!) miles on it. Unfortunately it still was in bad shape. The first time my friend Will & I tried to drive it back from Indiana (we had to go from IN to MA) it got about 5 miles down the road before it died. At least it took me through college. At the end of college it died a horrible death. Things just started to go wrong, like the entire electrical system died and you couldn't turn off the radio and it always made a whining sound through the speakers. Water collected on the roof and then when you stopped at a light it all came INTO the car down your neck. Ice cold boston winter water. The breaks started to go as well.

Funniest thing is I took it into a shop to see about getting it fixed and it's the first time I've ever heard a repair shop say they wouldn't fix it at ANY price.

No car donation place would take it. I ended up giving it away to a guy who collected DATSUNS. (and you think you have it bad with records)

Looked pretty close to this one....

• 1983 toyota corolla station wagon with luggage rack on the top
    + 4-200 watt 6x9's in the back

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    CI-TAY-SHUN!! Mine was blue.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    1965 (1964 1/2) Ford Mustang. Original pony interior, striaght 6, power brakes and steering. Turns out, only the first 100 or so that rolled off the assembly line had power brakes and steering. However, I traded it in for a 1984 Mazda B2000 that I dropped and put 8" wide deep dish rims and a boomin system in. Step in the arena sounded real good in that truck!

• 1985 honda prelude. I got it in '97. It was a hand-me-down from my big brother, he had driven it when he was in college and left it behind when he moved to the city, so it sat in our driveway for 2 years. I think there was a family of mice living in the ventilation ducts because fur would blow out of the vents whenever you cranked the AC. It also had a first generation CD player head unit, pre anti-skip technology, so I would just pull it out and whoever was riding shotgun got the honor of sitting with it in their lap, like a human shock-absorber. In the winter I perfected the art of e-brake turns and fishtailing in the snow.

One day after school, as everybody is in the line of cars waiting to get out of the parking lot, this kid in the car behind me starts honking at me and gently bumps me from behind... funny guy... So I pull up a little and throw it in reverse and hit the gas. KERBANG. The last thing I see in the rear view mirror is his jaw dropping... along with his bumper as I floor it out of the parking lot.

I miss that fucking rustbucket.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    1984 steel blue oldsmobile, about 12MPG. It died a horrible death near Raton, NM.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

what do you think does it look better with the name of the car on the window?

• tsotso 39 Posts

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    The first car I owned was a 1986 Honda Civic (mine was blue):

mind you, this was '98

• shit you not...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    my first car is my now car. something like:

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    '54 Belvedere .....Same turquoise color but black top and trim.....Hyrdo-Matic transmission

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    1980 Toyota Corolla Tercel, second time hand-me-down from sister to brother to me

^^ thats a 1982 but it was the same except it was this color:

aha! just found a shot of it back then ('86-'87).
    this is me using the car for what it did best:

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    1973 Plymouth Duster with a snakeskin roof. I rocked Licensed to Ill and It Takes a Nation of Millions every damn day on cassette through my Sony 6 x 9 rear speakers.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    1980 Toyota Corolla Tercel, second time hand-me-down from sister to brother to me

^^ thats a 1982 but it was the same except it was this color:

I used to drive an '82 Datsun Nissan. Basically Nissan's version of your car but mine was piss yellow. I was embarrassed to drive it but it was my commuter car for when the Camaro was in the shop. I was amazed how often people would come up to me and ask if I wanted to sell it (the Nissan).