Have You Ever Seen A Ghost?

highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I personally have never seen or thought I've seen a ghost, but I am pretty curious about the topic. Part of me wants to as long as it isn't something too evil.Anyone have any experiences/stories?

Comments

• I guess they don't exist afterall!!

• Well, no , not so fast... I got something to add to this but it will take a minute jot down. I'm still at work though, so it'll have to wait till later tonight.

• ok cool...it's one of my favorite topics to hear about so I'm anticipating....

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i was at an art opening in an old warehouse building in NE minneapolis last week and there was a large room with tons of old bicycles. i thought it looked cool so i took 2 photos with my phone and the first had a ghostly apparition that the second didn't have. there was no smoke, or dust or anything odd that was visible to my eye until i took that first flick. i'm not saying its a ghost but i am saying it looks like the things in photos that people say contain ghosts.

• post it!

i have issues operating that kind of high technology but i will see if i can get someone on the help out.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I've seen one. Looked like silver Christmas balls swirling around at my Grandma's house against the wall. There was no light source, windows, people, etc to have produced it at all. They swirled around in a circle, gaining speed, and disappeared into nothingness. It was around Christmas, the year my Grandpa died. I believe it was him playing jokes in spirit form.

• a year or two ago my gf called me and had me comeover to her house because she woke up levatating and was stuck and couldnt get down on her own!

she told me some other stories, like this time she went to this museum in amsterdam full of midevil torture devices... i dont want to type that out !

• how did she reach her phone?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    i have issues operating that kind of high technology but i will see if i can get someone on the help out.

1. Send it from your phone to your email address.
    2. Open the email and save the photo to your computer.
    3. If you don't already, sign up for free online image storage at a place like www.photobucket.com.
    4. Follow the directions on Photobucket to upload the image to their site.
    5. Copy the "IMG Code" and paste it into a SoulStrut message.
    6. Presto!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

3. If you don't already, sign up for free online image storage at a place like www.photobucket.com.
    6. Presto!

booooyah!

6. Presto!

booooyah!

word, thanks. i'll give it a try when i get to the cribbo.... hold please.

• I was around 15ish or so, and I had fallen asleep on the couch.
    I woke up out of a sound sleep sat straight up and saw my Great Grandma standing at one end of the coffee table smiling at me.

A moment later she seemed to float sideways along a wall and disappered behind a door.

She died when I was 6 or so.

Ill remeber that till the day I die

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I was around 15ish or so, and I had fallen asleep on the couch.
    I woke up out of a sound sleep sat straight up and saw my Great Grandma standing at one end of the coffee table smiling at me.

A moment later she seemed to float sideways along a wall and disappered behind a door.

She died when I was 6 or so.

Ill remeber that till the day I die

Damn. OK. I actually haven't talked about this one because I still haven't quite wrapped my head around it. It happened probably about 9 months ago.

I was in my apartment practicing the ol' mix-n-scratch. As I was in the middle of a mix, I saw something in the very edge of my peripheral vision. Couldn't see any detail, but it was definitely a human. Standing there watching me, probably about a foot away. And he was raising his arm to reach out to me. The thing is, I live alone, and my door was locked. I instantly got that adrenaline surge and jumped back...nobody there.

Now, I was kind of freaked out. I know it was in the edge of my peripheral vision, but I know what I saw, and it was a person. I shut off my tables, sat on the couch, and just pondered it for a while. Was my mind fucking with me? Did I really see something?

A little bit later, my girlfriend at the time came over. Now, she's definitely one who believes in the spiritual realm and that she can talk to people, both living and dead, on metaphysical planes. Not in a New-Age-hippie-crystal-fluffy-bunny way at all (it actually somewhat sprouted from her Buddhism), but in a very matter-of-fact way, insofar as one can be matter-of-fact about such things. Anyway, she came over, and I hadn't said a word about what I saw to her, but as soon as she walked into my apartment, she said, "You seem weird. Did something happen?" So I told her the story and about what I saw.

She just nodded and said very casually, "Yeah, it was your grandfather."

As soon as she said it--the exact instant she finished speaking that sentence--I thought, "It was grandpa."

I miss my grandfather a lot. He died when I was in high school. He was the one person who made me feel like I made sense in my family. Like, most of my other relatives...I'm a black sheep compared to them, and I wondered how I fit in with them. With my grandfather, it made sense. I took after him in so many ways. Still do, really.

So my girl tells me I saw my grandfather, and at the same time, I realize that I saw my grandfather. I just kind of nodded. She explained: "He watches over you all the time--I notice him all over the place. I could tell he was just here when I walked in the door. It's really cute. He loves you so much, and he's really proud of you."

I know those last couple sentences sound like some Jonathan Edwards type false-reassurance bullshit, but they really didn't come across that way. They came across like she knew exactly what she was talking about, and it made sense as I thought back to what I had seen--and what I had felt, besides being spooked.

I dunno...I still mull this one over a lot, particularly when I'm having trouble sleeping. I can't quite get a grip on it, but it is something I will remember for a very long time.

• Well, I'll tell what little I know about one of my sister's experiences...

One of her high school friends died in a car accident about a year back. She now lives in New York City and I know they kept contact but I am not sure if he had ever come to visit her there. Anyway, his spirit kept coming to her appartment, and she didn't know what to do because it was really weird and of course spooky.

Somehow she figured out that he did not know he was dead so the next time his presence appeared she got sort of angry and said "You know you are dead right? you can't keep coming here" or something along those lines and he stopped coming there.

She is pretty personal about this story, so I am not sure if she just was feeling his presence or if she could actually see him.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I grew up in the most haunted city in North America. I lived with ghosts. You have to.

• how did she reach her phone?
    it twaz in her jean pocket,, she was napping

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Well, I'll tell what little I know about one of my sister's experiences...

One of her high school friends died in a car accident about a year back. She now lives in New York City and I know they kept contact but I am not sure if he had ever come to visit her there. Anyway, his spirit kept coming to her appartment, and she didn't know what to do because it was really weird and of course spooky.

Somehow she figured out that he did not know he was dead so the next time his presence appeared she got sort of angry and said "You know you are dead right? you can't keep coming here" or something along those lines and he stopped coming there.

She is pretty personal about this story, so I am not sure if she just was feeling his presence or if she could actually see him.
    i can understand her point, and I guess i know the feeling. But not exactly because I need more examples.

You should talk to her more. I can see how she felt his presence. Not to be all new age like, but I have an open mind to these things.

Im just interested

• ask her yourself

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Last year a friend of mine in Coventry was doing up a house he'd just bought after the previous old lady owner had died. He would go to the house after work and spend a few hours on flooring, plumbing etc. One night, as he was closing the door behind him to leave, he saw the old lady on the stairs plain as day. He just carried on closing the door and left. Dude is Jamaican, he said "Duppies" are commonplace back home and not to be feared. Just an echo of the past - she must have climbed those stairs a million times?

Our house is built on land that's had buildings on it for 800 years or so. There have been a few odd things. When we first moved in, in the first few months, we were listening to some music. Track 2 or 3 of the CD finished and we were waiting for the next one. Never came. Walked to the stereo, the volume had turned down to 0. It was an old stereo with just the manual volume knob.

Did a compilation CD for the wife in the December of that year as a Christmas present. I burned the CD and hid it in the pages of a book in the office. Went back into the office a couple of hours later and it's there on the middle of the spare bed. She wasn't even in the house at the time. I haven't told her about this as she's fairly jumpy at the best of times.

We also have one of those patio heaters outside. In the winter, we cover it with a tarp. One night, the tarp had blown loose and was flapping about in the wind. So in the morning, I tied it up really well. The next night, same thing. The next morning, I tied it up so Houdini couldn't get out of it. Really, it would have taken me about an hour to pick the knots apart. Yep, come the night, flapping around again. I just took the tarp off it after that and said out loud to no-one in particular "You win."

The LCD display on our microwave went dodgy. So I asked the ghost to make itself useful and fix it. Worked fine for about a month after, now it's back to random elements. Asked the ghost again, but I think it's gone, although my son (now 4) said he used to see a man on the stairs.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Haven't seen one but my friend has a very weird story - she's the only child of superstar couple and when she was growing up she had an imaginary friend, a boy who was about 9 years old. Her folks thought that was cute and probably just the consequence of a big imagination and a lonely child. Except that the friend, Jack, wasn't imaginary to her: she could see him, talk to him (he never spoke) and she would play chase and other games with him. When they moved out of that house after 6 years she was about 12 - she never saw the boy again.

Her family, however, knew the people that bought the house and several years later over dinner they told her about their son's imaginary friend, Jack. Their son had described the same boy, in the same clothes - everything. Up until this point my friend had always kind of thought that Jack was imaginary too but from that moment she became convinced that he was a ghost. She didn't say anything to the new house owners because she didn't want to freak them out but it really shook her up. Very strange but she isn't given to tall stories or pranks so who knows?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    First off, I want to be clear that I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone who has posted in this thread.

That said, I think the idea of ghosts is ridiculous. This is coming from someone who has experienced some pretty bizarre, scary, and inexplicable shit. The power of the human mind to distort it's own perception of reality, however is very real and very powerful. So, for all practical purposes, I believe a ghost can exist, but only in a highly subjective sense, and only for the observer alone.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    First off, I want to be clear that I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone who has posted in this thread.

That said, I think the idea of ghosts is ridiculous. This is coming from someone who has experienced some pretty bizarre, scary, and inexplicable shit. The power of the human mind to distort it's own perception of reality, however is very real and very powerful. So, for all practical purposes, I believe a ghost can exist, but only in a highly subjective sense, and only for the observer alone.

I'm with you on this subject to a certain point ... though I do believe that a "phenomena" can exist that can be perceived by more than one person. Of course, that sort of thing can also be explained by distorted reality ... UFO sightings, sightings of Mary, etc (seen be many people) statistically go up when there is a war on. Stress of actual "invasion" can lead to visions of some sort of "visitation".

That aside, I believe something, like the old lady in the stairway described above, can exist. However, I don't believe that it is an interactive entity (in most cases ... I don't want to completely rule out the existence of "ghosts" as we know them as some of the above stories are compelling). I believe that it would be more like a stain in 3 dimensional space. Time is a dimension like any other ... I believe that "windows" into past events can exist. Perhaps stain is a better metaphor.

There is a place in CT known as the Bara Hack woods (google it). Natives in the area referred to it as the "thinning". Many people, while in these woods, hear sounds of people talking, working, etc. But I don't know of there ever being an interaction with anyone. I think what is happening is that is some sort of window, tear in reality (whatever you want to call it) that allows sounds from the past to echo into the future.

There is a house up by Uconn ... it used to be referred to as "Blue House" and was, for many years, inhabited by people in the drama department. So, granted, you have to take any story with a grain of salt ... and I'll spare you the stretched out ones told by known liars. However, one phenomena that was regularly told about was that each day, at around 5:00, people would hear someone come in and walk upstairs as if they had just arrived home from work. I figure, if someone lived that routine for 40 years or so in the same house, its possible that a trace of that repetitive action can still be observed after they are long gone.

Myself, I grew up in a house built in 1770 in Old Wethersfield (oldest town in CT). We regularly heard footsteps upstairs when noone was around. Used to freak us the hell out. I mean, the house had creaks ... but footsteps are footsteps. Again, maybe there was an "entity" upstairs, or maybe we were just hearing an event from the past.

Now if only I could inhabit an apartment where someone listened to raer funk records a lot ...

• the house where my dad grew up was super old and my dad and his twin brother had some ghostly experiences. the first was when they were young, maybe 10 or so. my grandparents had bought the house from a widow, and she had moved to the house next door. she was a bit of a mess, an alcoholic and a pill popper, but she was sort of a godmother type to my grandparent's kids. anyways, one night my grandparent's went out to a dinner party and my dad and his brother were staying up late, talking while trying to fall asleep in their bunkbeds. at some point, they see a woman in a black nightgown in the corner of the room watching them. they say, "we're going to bed mom" or whatever, and she leaves. an hour later they hear their mom and dad pull into the driveway and arrive home from the party.
    the next day they find out that the widow went out driving that night totally wasted and got into an accident and died...and she had been wearing a black nightgown.

the other story is actually a good ghost story...my dad had moved out but his twin brother was still living in the house...they were maybe 18 or something. everybody was asleep and at some point in the night their tv caught on fire...my uncle bill was woken up by something grabbing him and shaking him violently. so the ghost was trying to save them and the house!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

You ain't never seen a duppy?
    Don't ever talk about duppies.
    Cuz you wouldn't understand duppies.
    So just shut the f*ck up about duppies.

PS Nothing's real til you see it, or allow yourself to be open to.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    ask her yourself

you needs to chill.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

none taking...but some peeps need to

dayum.....

LOL

• my uncle bill was woken up by something grabbing him and shaking him violently. so the ghost was trying to save them and the house!

Sounds like sleep paralysis.

I once had a similar experience where I was in a deep sleep and violently awaken. It was pretty fucked up and freaked the shit out of me. I completely recall sleeping on my stomach and awaking to what felt like a person ridding on my back and choking me. I immediately jumped the fuck out of bed and tried to take in what bizarre shit just happened.

A few months prior to the above incident I recall waking up in my room, not being able to move. I immediately began to a hear the specific guitar lick in megadeath???s ???Tornado of Souls???. As the heavy guitar licked in my brain, I felt a presence and saw a shadowy figure in the corner of my room. The figure was shapeless and seemed to be a tear in the space time continuum.

Lastly, I had this one dream that was so detailed I believe it may actually have happened while I slept. I remember a young boy, who was glowing with a bright grayish/white aura, looking in a dresser which, at the time, was outside of my room. I remember seeing him through the walls (like x ray vision) of my room while lying on my side.
    After about five seconds of observing this young boy going through the contents of the dresser, he immediately took notice to my scrutinizing and began approaching me. This part was quite uncomfortable because I fully knew I was in paralysis and couldn???t move. The little shit walked right up to my bedside and just stared into my eyes.

The next day I described my dream to my friends, and the one friend who lives up the street from me said he had the same kid in his dream. I can???t really say how credible my friend???s story is but my experience was pretty uncomfortable.

more info on sleep paralysis

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20050709/bob9.asp
    http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    I have never seen any, but i've felt a strong presence a handful of times.

i am pretty well a believer. too many stories to not be.

i can't e-mail that pic because i don't have that service on my phone. mike 2600/theecasualmale was there when i took it so he can attest.