* M I D W E E K E R Y *

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited March 2016 in Record Collecting
Mostly new stuff for a change:* Marvin Gaye - Let's get it on (stepper's edit) Kingmost, Herm and Daze know the deal on this one * Sam Cooke - Carribean Cooke 45 facemelting blend of sam's singing over vintage Studio One riddims * Zebra - Sing a simple song (Jazzman 12") not sure if this is my thing yet, but i thought i'd give it a try * Richie Havens - Going back to my roots 12"Krivit on the re-edit * Yellow Sunshine - s/ t 45my kind of sound * Mos Def - Magnificent 12"if only his album was as simple as this

Comments

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Some 45s for me:

Alvin Cash - Keep on Dancing (Toddlin' Town)
    Dynamic Corvettes - Funky Music Is the Thing (Abet)
    Fatback - Soul March (Perception)
    Faz-O - Riding High (She)
    Johnny Harris - Lulu's Theme / Footprints (WB)
    Frank Hooker and Positive People - This Feelin' (Panorama)
    Gwen McCrae - Funky Sensation (Atlantic)
    Ripple - I don't know what it is (GRC)

Also my landlord just dropped off about 6 feet of records from someone's apartment where they left a big pile of stuff. It's mostly early 90s house music that I know nothing about, so it's time for some research.

• I too hath copped

* Richie Havens - Going back to my roots 12"
    Krivit on the re-edit

..and the b-side is dope as hell. The OG flashes me back to my house days, as that was a real end-of-the- nighter.

Also copped:

Dirtsman "Hot this year" 12" (been after this for time)
    Cobra "Tek Him" 12" (wicked digi Cherry-o-baby re-rub, right up my alley!!)
    A couple o Courtney melody 7's on Techniques (titles escape me)
    Cutty Ranks "a who seh me dun" 12"
    Scarface "My block & Guess who's back" 12"
    The new Edan LP - which I'm definately feeling
    Ying Yang Twins "Wait" - I actually think I prefer the radio edit with the samples instead of cussing.
    Some scratchy old Velvet Underground Live LP.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

Also my landlord just dropped off about 6 feet of records from someone's apartment where they left a big pile of stuff. It's mostly early 90s house music that I know nothing about, so it's time for some research.

nah man save your time.. send to me : )

nobody wants that house shit man!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Picked up another copy of Jim Sullivan LP on Century City.

Just got a package of Brazilian stuff.

Titles to be posted later.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

* Marvin Gaye - Let's get it on (stepper's edit)
    Kingmost, Herm and Daze know the deal on this one

[color:white] the signs of old age [/color]

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    nothing too exciting

the version of Cissy Strut on the Rod Piazza joint has a nice break but besides that...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    that Rod Piazza and Karen Dalton are pretty rare dude

yeah, it's my second copy of the Dalton. Cool femme folk record, but her voice is a little grating IMO. I'd heard of the Piazza lp before, but I'm not really feelin' it. To the 'bay it goes!

• If that SPLIT LEVEL was as cool as it looks...we would both be happy campers.

• K, when you list your records like that, every one looks like a smash. Something about the way they're photographed, the size...they just look rugged. If the sound is on the same level, you're bringing home power every post.

• I decided to treat myself to an expenssive b-day present.

If that SPLIT LEVEL was as cool as it looks...we would both be happy campers.

unfortunately, agreed.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Happy Birthday Shingaling!

and yeah that Split Level lp isn't as cool as it looks, I remember being kind of excited when I first found that.

• Happy Birthday Shingaling!

and yeah that Split Level lp isn't as cool as it looks, I remember being kind of excited when I first found that.

Thanks! And yeah...I found that at a store and didn't have my portable. No questions asked...I bought that bitch! Thank god it was only $5.00.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    bought a couple 45s at the shop that might as well be connected to my apartment complex

Willie Tee - "Thank You John" (Atlantic) ...goddamn this is a good track

and

Everyday People - "Get Next To You" b/w "(Loose Booty) It's A Real Thing" (Soundtech Studios)

^^^ anybody know shit about this 45? It's from the infamous funk 45 hotbed that is Pheonix, Arizona(!?!). The "Get Next To You" track is really hot in an early yet lower fi EWF kinda way. Intro starts off sounding really similar to Marva "It's My Thing." Arizona dudes? Anyone got any info?

• The b-day presents keep on rollin' in...these were from my boss!

I've had this Donovan for years but it has a huge scratch in the best song. Now I got the NM joint! The scratched one is going to Hook-Up. The drummer from this album did production or studio work with Wu-Tang years later. Not really sure what it was.

Jaggerz - We Went To Different Schools Together
    Stepping Forward In Dub (ft. Jackie Mittoo)
    Willie Lindo & Dean Fraser - Double Dynamite (some nice inst. reggae soul on this)
    Caetano Veloso - London London
    Vincius/Caymmi ft. Quarteto Em Cy - No Zum Zum
    Maria Bethania - Alibi
    Maria Bethania ft. Caetano Veloso e Jorge Ben - A Tu Presencia
    MPB4 Ft. Quarteto Em Cy - Canto Dos Homens
    Milton Nascimento - Travessia
    Jorge Ben - A Tabua De Esmeralda

everything was cool until the last one... you know, "100% ear tested Excellent conditions" at least in my language means that there ISN'T a big skip on the first fucking song. Grrrrr...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Academy?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I was gonna bring these up in the GEMM thread a few days back, but wanted to wait to make sure all was legit. Both arrived today, each in better than described condition, and about 1/2 the usual eBay rate:

this Kay-Gee's record is the shit, blows "Find a Friend" away, which I bought first and paid twice as much for.

What's up with this 1977 re-press? Did Marlena have a big comeback during the Disco days, so Cadet reissued it? I was kinda bummed it wasn't an OG, but it's minty and I kinda like the raunchier cover...wish mine was $2.99...

funny, I was checking this out last week, not knowing anything about him, just cause it looked like a 13th Floor Elevators Hip Hop record, almost picked it up...then the monster thread was going all week, so I couldn't resist. Some hot shit, sampling psych records is a cool if limited hook. The collabos are fire, the solo joints ehh...best of all, reading the back of the cover, this was mastered a block from my house, I'm so ignorant of my local rap scene I didn't know dude was from my neighborhood!

Academy?

Indeed. Why didn't you "cop"? It was a nice price.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Holy shit that Syl Johnson is my muthafuckin whitest of whales!!

Happy B-day Shing, and nice choice of a personal gift, that K-Doe is a sweet thing to own.

Your BOSS gave you that Syl Johnson?!?!

• NutsNuts 44 Posts
    Not excactly midweek finds, but I got around to take some pics of the records I got in the last 1 1/2 months (my first "finds" post ever). Some online, some trades, some thriftstore and outdoor markets.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Academy?

Thought about it. Then experienced record guilt--too many recent unlistened-to records back at my apartment.

Academy?

Thought about it. Then experienced record guilt--too many recent unlistened-to records back at my apartment.

true. It's not really a stand-out either... not genius enough for a young esquire I'd imagine.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    Jaggerz - We Went To Different Schools Together
    Willie Lindo & Dean Fraser - Double Dynamite (some nice inst. reggae soul on this)
    Caetano Veloso - London London
    Vincius/Caymmi ft. Quarteto Em Cy - No Zum Zum
    Maria Bethania - Alibi
    Maria Bethania ft. Caetano Veloso e Jorge Ben - A Tu Presencia
    MPB4 Ft. Quarteto Em Cy - Canto Dos Homens
    Milton Nascimento - Travessia
    Jorge Ben - A Tabua De Esmeralda

that milton nascimento is an ice cold record to make dinner to. "catavento" is elegant hot. other versions of that out there that are killer as well. gotta get with the nascimento lp that has "futebol ____" something on it. too bad i can't remember the name, it is like the best nascimento tune!

l

• Options

Academy?

true. It's not really a stand-out either... not genius enough for a young esquire I'd imagine.

There's one dope mellow dubby track with Jackie on piano and Bongo Herman on percussion (though it's not noted on the back of the album). It also available on EP on JA Express (yep, same text as the NY reggae/rap label). I sold that for a fair penny, but I had it up with some dub heat so that may have skewed it's value.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Not excactly midweek finds, but I got around to take some pics of the records I got in the last 1 1/2 months (my first "finds" post ever). Some online, some trades, some thriftstore and outdoor markets.
    BR>
    Goddamn! I neeee that Oimels LP, and what the hell is that Harlem Pop Trotters one you got there? Nice rekkids man.

• Options
    K, when you list your records like that, every one looks like a smash. Something about the way they're photographed, the size...they just look rugged. If the sound is on the same level, you're bringing home power every post.

They are heavyweight.

Toney Rome is the saem as Crash Crew on Mike and Dave.

The Micron is the b side to Jah Vengeance by Vivian Jackson and is a seminal Tubby dub piece - besides being one of the more sampleable reggae intro's ever.

The Chosen Few is the track they use on SOul Jazz Studio 1 soul comp

and the JO is absolutely mind-blowing Toronto steez. Only 2 known records on that label and both are

That said, I just got back from another Lady's house:

Ill soul covers

Roots piano, upright bass, and foot pounding/knee slapping accompanied by the gorgeous vocals of Barry Heptone (Llewlyn) and Stranger Cole

Highly sought after Cole ska 45 on rare Buster label

Later update of Armigideon Time by JAckie and WIllie on 10 inch

No need to explain this one. Also on 10 inch.

This album is by the St Vincent Latinaires. It's on Soufriere. It's funky.

THis was the pick of the litter. Those of you familiar with the ever changing JA spelling techniques will probably clue into the arrangers name, L Tatte. As thought, it was Lynn Taitt's arrangement...and those of you who know that his work has always included a heavy dose of funk will be glad to hear it's

Right away, because of the text and color of the ink, the artist, ohh and the sound of the music, I knew it was Wackie's. This 45 will never my possession (if I can help it).

Been after thsi rocksteady classic for a minute.

Oh, and here's one for Raj and Guzzo. Boom modern soul from a Toronto reggae label via " "What You Tryin' To Do" and "Over and OVer". Rear cover states engineering is by Glen Johnson, which knowing JA spelling is likely Glen Johansen of Risco Connections (so-called) fame..and jugding by the Studio's used, I'd bet heavily on it (like 50,000 star lock, heavy)

As the Sensations once sung "Everyday is Just a Holiday"

K in Canada (well, mainly Scarborough)

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Jacqueline Francois "Mademoiselle De Paris" (Vega, 70): Sexy French female jazz vocal stuff arranged by Vladamir Cosma

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    My after work buys....

Went in with 6 bucks and came out with...

Con Funk Shun-"Organized"

Four Tops-"Keeper Of The Castle"