* M I D W E E K E R Y *

Comments

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

that milton nascimento is an ice cold record to make dinner to. "catavento" is elegant hot. other versions of that out there that are killer as well. gotta get with the nascimento lp that has " futebol____" something on it. too bad i can't remember the name, it is like the best nascimento tune!

Hi, lotusland

There are 2 Nascimento??s songs I know that are related to "futebol": Aqui ?? o pa??s do futebol and Bola de meia, bola de gude (but this makes reference to futebol only in the title). Obviously, there can be others that I don??t know.

Peace

• Stepping Forward In Dub (ft. Jackie Mittoo)

Academy?

Indeed. Why didn't you "cop"? It was a nice price.

Thought about it. Then experienced record guilt--too many recent unlistened-to records back at my apartment.

true. It's not really a stand-out either... not genius enough for a young esquire I'd imagine.

Dunno, I picked up a copy myself last week. I thought it's pretty quality. What's the year on this, late 70s?

• Options
    circa 1980.

K.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Real World:

Herbie Hancock - Death Wish OST (Columbia)
    Rico - Man From Wareika (Blue Note)
    Marion Brown - Sweet Earth Flying (Impulse)
    Nas - ???Street Dreams??? 12??? (Columbia)

Ebay (8-tracks--doubles):

Cymande - S/T
    Lonnie Smith - Afro Desia

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    The Rimshots- down to earth (stang)
    Reality- st john (trucker man)
    Charles Brackeen- rhythm x (strata east)
    Doris Duke- i'm a loser (charly)
    Ron Bartol- nassau (private jazz outta Pittsburgh, exact same stock sunset cover as Mcneal and Niles)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I only had 30 minutes to check this new spot in town. Did alright given the time.

-Masterdon Committee-Gotta Get You Hot 12'' (Enjoy)I'm digging the vocoder.
    -Flame & The Sons of Darkness-Solid Funk/Something 45 (P&P) Never knew Peter Brown did funk 45's. Raer?
    -Joe Bataan-Rap-O Clap-O (Salsoul) 12'' What?
    -Marva Whitney-I'm Tried/Got to Have a Job 45 (King)
    -Ray Barretto-In The Beginning (Fania) Soul Drummers & some Salsa tunes.
    -Carlos Garnett-Black Love (Muse)

Mail..

-Larry Young-Lawrence of Newark (Perception) I like this alot!
    -Eddie Kendricks-People Hold On (Tamla) [bold]BIG[/bold] Thanks to leisurebandit for the hook.
    -Wolfgang Dauner-Rischkas Soul (Brain) Now if I could only get a copy of Oimels.

• circa 1980.

K.

Thanks prof! Not as heavy as that other doodoo I asked you about, but not bad on the cheap.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    DAMN, THOSE LOOK

simply amazing.....

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This Pete Terrace LP was one of my freshest unexpectedly good $1 bin finds evar.

T.N.

• I want to peep your abdul wadud.

This just in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4714257231

Is this shit just not popular any more? Or what.
    Am I not "DOWN", my NIAGARAS?
    IS IT BECAUSE I'M WHITE?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I want to peep your wadud.

holy fuck ^

• Reply to this and happy 5000th day.....

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    7"
    Frankie Paul - Casssandra
    Cocoa T - Good Life
    Foxy Brown & Johnny P - Tonight You're Mine
    Lady Saw / Beenie Man - Healing
    Buju Banton - Love Sponge
    Jah Cure - Jah Bless Me
    Peter Metro - Greencard
    Rankin Toyan - Immigration
    Mystic - Bruk Pocket Foreigner
    Junior Reid - Foreign Mind
    Pinchers - Borders
    Peter Tosh - Apartheid
    12"
    El General - Son Bow
    El General - Pun Tun Tun
    Nick Chacona - Angel Dust Swan Dive
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Rich (Josh Patrick Remix)
    Amerie - One Thing (Mr. K re-edit / organ remix)
    Beanie Sigel & Snoop - Don't Stop
    Beanie Sigel - Feel It In The Air

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Yikes. I've been after this for a while. Story/deal for headz plaese

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    DAMN, THOSE LOOK

simply amazing.....

Co-sign, I can't remember the last time I saw records that looked so good that i had no idea about before! I expect ALL those titles to be FI-YA!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I want to peep your abdul wadud.

This just in.

Is this shit just not popular any more? Or what.
    Am I not "DOWN", my NIAGARAS?
    IS IT BECAUSE I'M WHITE?

prolly because it was only posted as "World Music" if someone that week wasnt looking for the Pharoahs, prolly not many folks ran across that auction. But thanks to your post, all the lurkers will now look for it and I bet the next one up for auction goes back to the usual price. gee, thanks a lot.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Yikes. I've been after this for a while. Story/deal for headz plaese

i've had a mint extra in a sale pile for a while jonny if you need it.

Sooks- that Saitana is a South African artist- kind of a bluesy rock grind thing... trippy effects on the vocals- slow groove- definitely stoner music and cool.

• Options
    DAMN, THOSE LOOK

simply amazing.....

Co-sign, I can't remember the last time I saw records that looked so good that i had no idea about before! I expect ALL those titles to be FI-YA!

I know the Freddie McKay and the Cedric Brooks LP's are dope. The Cheif thing is likely African Highlife. The Max Romeo is PErry and is farily good in it's own right. The Bembeya is alright with one funkyish tune on the last track of one side (I have 2 unsleeved if anyone wants one). Sweet Talks is African and discoey if I can remember correctly.

Don't know the others. I'm sure Ari can help you out.

K.

• prolly because it was only posted as "World Music" if someone that week wasnt looking for the Pharoahs, prolly not many folks ran across that auction. But thanks to your post, all the lurkers will now look for it and I bet the next one up for auction goes back to the usual price. gee, thanks a lot.

ahah sorry mang! btw a VG+ unsealed copy went for around $40 over xmas. My sniping dealie malfunctioned while I was on vacation, otherwise I would have gotten that. (I was pissed at the time) So maybe the "good price" for it is going down.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    DAMN, THOSE LOOK

simply amazing.....

I know the Freddie McKay and the Cedric Brooks LP's are dope. The Cheif thing is likely African Highlife. The Max Romeo is PErry and is farily good in it's own right. The Bembeya is alright with one funkyish tune on the last track of one side (I have 2 unsleeved if anyone wants one). Sweet Talks is African and discoey if I can remember correctly.

Don't know the others. I'm sure Ari can help you out.

K.

Chief Twins Seven Seven was a really eclectic nigerian artist- had one on Makossa which I highly recommend- used to be able to catch it for cheap but just saw one go for $50+. Never even heard of this one- it's pretty freaked out funky juju style- but heavier on the funk- w/ strong psych overtones.

The Sweet Talks is a straight highlife LP- but they're one of the greatest 70's ghanian hi-lifebands in my opinion. i know you got the one w/ them on the boat kevin- need it.

Super Eagles is a gambian group- mostly straight rumba, a pachanga tune, but a couple soul tunes- one w/ fuzz guitar and recently comped on that african psych comp. They later become a group called Ifang Bondi who put out a couple good albums.

That Tito Puente is the bomb- don't sleep.... from '56 or '58 - deep groove Tico and hard hitting as hell.

AfroCombo is probably a colombian group as there seems to be a couple Cumbia tunes on there. Some killer salsa cuts and the opening cut El Huevo is nice dancefloor boogaloo.

Verckys w/ Orchestra Veve- one of the killer congolese orchestras. Such amazing stuff- mostly rhumbas but the wild guitars will shatter your ears.

Bembeya Jazz- the legendary guinean orchestra headed by guitar maestro Sekou "diamond fingers" Diabate- I'd say their stuff goes beyond OK if you can get into manding style- recording is a bit murky at times- but the music shines through.

I'll try to post some more pics tonight.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I had to do Jury Duty today, which totally sucked, had to drive 1/2 hour to another county at 8AM, spent almost 7 hours in a small windowless room with 20 other miserable people, etc...but we got an hour lunch break, and I switched on the record radar and started walking around the unknown neighborhod...found a Salvation Army with 50 cent records (records for 50 cents, not "Candy Shop!")...nothing great enough to make the awful day worth it, but a few 12" of soul de la moderne':

Rene & Angela, "I'll Be Good"
    & "You Don't Have To Cry"
    both sealed pic sleeve 12" with extended & instros...

Mark IV, "You've Got To Change It"
    nice 1989 soulful house on Tuff City w/Patrick Adams prod, mint WLP...best thing is, Tuff City sent it out in a Spoonie Gee "Godfather of Rap" jacket with a center hole cut into it..they must have had a bunch of leftovers and used them as promo covers!

Soul Rebellion, "Simple Rhythm"
    cool 1990 Arthur Baker acid house/garage on Cardiac, with 7 mixes...uses "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" bassline, pretty dope although the "rapping" is a little too 1990 house rap...

not bad for $2...

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Wednesdsay finds

Gangstarr - The Lesson 12" (Non Dj Premier Prod.) (Wild Pitch)
    ShowBiz A.G. - Party Groove / Soul Clap 12" (London Records)
    Shante - Have a Nice Day (Cold Chillin)
    Kid Capri - The Jokes on You (Cold Chillin)

Hey K,
    Congo's LP with his big head on it is cool, but I still have debated back and forth about picking it up. I got a cheapie reggae LP by a dude named "Kwame" the other day, heard it? Prolly common, major label from '80, but thick basslines and cool.
    Lemme know
    Peace
    T.N.

• Options
    Kwame rings a bell, but I can't conjure up any images. What label?

K.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I'm moving to Canada

Polydor. Nice LP, nothing earth shattering but a good spin.
    Peace
    T.N.

• dog you didn't really find that KWAME did you? dog i been NEEDING that shit

yo holler on the strength dude, i don't even read jamiacan so i don't what the fuck is what buit if those basslines are half as thick as you say, my sheets are wet dog yo KMAE got that heat

• Options
    Still drawing a blank.

K.

There's a time and place for TimmyD. Perhaps at a dusty thrift in Bridgeport or Pistol Wavin' New Haven stacked to the ceiling with CTI joints. But not with me and the KwameReggaeGoodChoon, so zip it!

K,

Kwame's album is Follow I.Full name Kwame Heshimu. My favorite tune on here is "Family Affair". He plays with Winston Gardner, Mikey Ranglin, and Ronald "Boogzie" Morris (the names that ring a bell).

Peace

T.N.