DJ Drama and Don Cannon arrested!

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

3). tens of thousands? F'reals?

An industry insideur would have a better grasp of the numbers but, yeah, that's what I've heard.

I'm sure it varies with the project--I doubt he charges Weezy when they collab, since that's a project he derives tremendous promotional benefit from. But all those Gangsta Grillz tapes with suspect-azz artists like Trick-Trick? I imagine that's 25K or more.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    "No drugs and weapons were found. But they easily could have had both drugs and weapons. I mean, we just want to make this clear."

I found that statement pretty offensive too. Like, these people usually have drugs and/or guns.

I don't wanna fall into some cospiracy trap, but doesn't it look like there is much more to it? Someone dropping dimes? Or simply bad luck and all other cats can continue? The music industry sucks, really...

• racism

I don't know about all that...

DJ Drama

Don Cannon

This shit was a shakedown, pure and simple.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    "No drugs and weapons were found. But they easily could have had both drugs and weapons. I mean, we just want to make this clear."

I found that statement pretty offensive too. Like, these people usually have drugs and/or guns.

Sounds like they're trying to save face, falling short of an expectation to find a trap preparation operation in the back room or some shit.

This is unfortunate. And I still don't have a clear understanding of the charge. Were they bootlegging other people's mixtapes for profit as a side hustle?

They took ALL of their shit, including production equipment, damn.

I guarantee some of the pigs' kids are looking crossways at their Pops right now like, "damn, this one is personal".

• choleracholera 101 Posts
    racism

I don't know about all that...

DJ Drama

Don Cannon

This shit was a shakedown, pure and simple.

I meant more so in the way the tv report was presented. Maybe racism was too strong a word. Like I said, it's all just very , how the media and police treated this. But yeah, definitely a shakedown.

• I think you were trying to say prejudice. Like these dudes from the hood did good on what was thought to be a legal hustle and the news wanna kick dirt and throw salt saying dudes from the hood usually have guns and drugs. It wasn't really racist at all.

Either way, this shit is dumb. I hope the labels stand up for their promo dudes. I hope the cops don't find the mixunit headquarters.

I think you were trying to say prejudice. Like these dudes from the hood did good on what was thought to be a legal hustle and the news wanna kick dirt and throw salt saying dudes from the hood usually have guns and drugs. It wasn't really racist at all.

No, I don't think that's what he's saying.

These guys are both college graduates; they're not "dudes from the hood" whose only way out was through a semi-legal hustle.

So if there was some form of prejudice at work, it probably was race.

I think it's a little more complicated than that. I think there's some resentment that these guys have found a way of getting money from music that doesn't rely on the faltering music industry--moreover, they've forced the music industry to come to them. To literally pay them. But race may inform that resentment.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I think you were trying to say prejudice. Like these dudes from the hood did good on what was thought to be a legal hustle and the news wanna kick dirt and throw salt saying dudes from the hood usually have guns and drugs. It wasn't really racist at all.

These guys are both college graduates; they're not "dudes from the hood" whose only way out was through a semi-legal hustle.

I think it's a little more compliacted than that. I think there's some resentment that these guys have found a way of getting money from music that doesn't rely on the faltering music industry--moreoever, they've forced the music industry to come to them. To literally pay them. But race may inform that resentment.

Nothing worse than industry ass-hurt.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Here's an interesting theory, which someone came up with during a similar discussion on another board I visit;

Now that the internet has become a viable tool for promotion I think the rap business would be better off sales-wise without mixtapes. I know for a fact New York rappers would be waaaaay better off...The NY underground would have a market that responds like the southern market does when it comes to sales where a new act can see up to 150,000 units moved. I would be willing to bet many acts would do those kinds of numbers due to the dense population in the north east.

Also acts like Jadakiss, Styles P, Ghostface and others would finally see some real sales. Jim Jones, for example, would be platinum.

Discuss.

Here's an interesting theory, which someone came up with during a similar discussion on another board I visit;

Now that the internet has become a viable tool for promotion I think the rap business would be better off sales-wise without mixtapes. I know for a fact New York rappers would be waaaaay better off...The NY underground would have a market that responds like the southern market does when it comes to sales where a new act can see up to 150,000 units moved. I would be willing to bet many acts would do those kinds of numbers due to the dense population in the north east.

Also acts like Jadakiss, Styles P, Ghostface and others would finally see some real sales. Jim Jones, for example, would be platinum.

Discuss.

Where's the actual rationale?

A Jim Jones album fails to go platinum because he's essentially a novelty act and people suspect that the album will be crap; not because the buying public spent its money on eight hundred thousand Jim Jones mixtapes in lieu of the album.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    A fun tidbit.

"Shortly after the matter of cloth weaving has been disposed of, the button makers guild raises a cry of outrage; the tailors are beginning to make buttons out of cloth, an unheard-of thing. The government, indignant that an innovation should threaten a settled industry, imposes a fine on the cloth-button makers. But the wardens of the button guild are not yet satisfied. They demand the right to search people's homes and wardrobes and fine and even arrest them on the streets if they are seen wearing these subversive goods."

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    However if they are selling the mixes that they are licensed to create for promotional use by the labels then they are in violation of selling copywritten material. I don't think that the labels have any problem paying these guys to create mix CDs to promote artists. Its marketing and is a tax write off for the labels, like sniping, and anything else.

The RIAA really works independently of the labels, even though its funded by the majors. I think what they are doing is using are using the digital rights act (exact name escapes me) that past a year or so ago as a tool to try and curb sharing and burning of music. It states to the effect that you can not make copies of copywritten materials. ie. if you back-up your CD collection you are technically in violation and could be fined/go to jail.

Up until now they were mainly throwing this at mixtape vendors (mostly at swaps). The most heinous example I heard of was someone giving away mix cds when someone bought their own produced cd and getting busted not only for giving away the mix cds as promotional items with the cd purchase but also for their own CDs. The reason being... Their personal CDs didn't have a production address, and the promotional Mix CDs were in violation of the copyright laws.

And as a retailer I don't agree with what they are doing how they are acting as its more detrimental to their faltering industry than positive. The unfortunate truth is its going to take someone with a name and money like Drama to get busted for this law to really be addressed. I am really hoping he fights it if the case isn't dropped/thrown out by the judge.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The RIAA really works independently of the labels, even though its funded by the majors.

Exactly. It functions as an organization to redirect blame from record labels. The RIAA is an organization that is DESIGNED to get shit on by artists, fans, etc. It's designed to take the heat for all the bullshit of the industry.

This is a struggle for economic control in which the police are used like pawns who refuse to say "wait, don't we have something better to do?". The RIAA is trying to control the promo game. They don't want mixtape DJs breaking the music to the people, because it's to unpredictable, and something independent might blow up and destroy their major label sales. They can't control what these DJs play (although they tend to play major label stuff) in a way that is profitable.

Fuck liscensing to major record labels for mixtapes. Fuck major labels in general since advent of the Compact Disc, maybe even before that. This shit rubs me the wrong way, because now THOUSANDS of people have this wacked out impression of what mixtape DJs do, what their role is. DJs don't get much media coverage, and this is what people are hearing about, these DJs being not only accused of piracy but being portrayed as thugs who might have drugs & weapons? Please. We are arresting people for art. That very statement should make this bullshit irrelevent. As a country, we are spending our time arresting people for spreading their taste in music. Fuck that.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I doubt the Atlanta police did anything but run the raid. Most of the time the RIAA does all the investigative and legal foot work. When they have their ducks all in a row they call the cops and tell them where, when and what. No doubt they also call the TV stations.

THe RIAA must think they have a winning case. I hope these guys fight it all the way. The RIAA does not have a good record at the supreme court. Remember Banned In The USA? Of course this new supreme court is unlikely to find against a big business.

I have no doubt that the effect of this tv news report was to reinforce negative stereotypes. DJ, Gangsta Grill, Other Contraband, Drugs, Weapons. Those are all words that are used to link this bust to White suburbia's greatest fears. (DJ and Gangsta Grill were unavoidable, the contraband thing was BS.) Almost every story on TV news is that way.

I have no doubt that the effect of this tv news report was to reinforce negative stereotypes. DJ, Gangsta Grill, Other Contraband, Drugs, Weapons. Those are all words that are used to link this bust to White suburbia's greatest fears. (DJ and Gangsta Grill were unavoidable, the contraband thing was BS.) Almost every story on TV news is that way.

It was pretty funny to hear those talking heads forced to wrap their mouths around the phrase "Gangsta Grillz," though.

• I have no doubt that the effect of this tv news report was to reinforce negative stereotypes. DJ, Gangsta Grill, Other Contraband, Drugs, Weapons. Those are all words that are used to link this bust to White suburbia's greatest fears. (DJ and Gangsta Grill were unavoidable, the contraband thing was BS.) Almost every story on TV news is that way.

It was pretty funny to hear those talking heads forced to wrap their mouths around the phrase "Gangsta Grillz," though.

I think it'd be hot if, on subsequent CDs (and you know there will be plenty), Drama were to replace his oft-used "Gangsta Grizz-ILLZ!" drop with a drop of that female reporter saying it.

I think it'd be hot if, on subsequent CDs (and you know there will be plenty), Drama were to replace his oft-used "Gangsta Grizz-ILLZ!" drop with a drop of that female reporter saying it.

Or "contaband!"

• I watched it again.

I could be wrong, but is that a sales plaque for the T.I. album? They got a "thank you for your support in helping T.I. go platinum" award and then they get busted. Doesn't make sense.

• I think you were trying to say prejudice. Like these dudes from the hood did good on what was thought to be a legal hustle and the news wanna kick dirt and throw salt saying dudes from the hood usually have guns and drugs. It wasn't really racist at all.

I think it's a little more complicated than that. I think there's some resentment that these guys have found a way of getting money from music that doesn't rely on the faltering music industry--moreover, they've forced the music industry to come to them. To literally pay them. But race may inform that resentment.

i stand corrected. I did not know they were college boys. thought i read somewhere that drama was a ghetto boy. guess not. either way, you're right. seems like the industry cats is just at how they lodged themselves into a position of promotional power.

i stand corrected. I did not know they were college boys. thought i read somewhere that drama was a ghetto boy. guess not. either way, you're right. seems like the industry cats is just at how they lodged themselves into a position of promotional power.

Well, confusion is understandable; I'm sure I've got tapes with Drama bellowing about how he's from the hood, too... but actually those dudes connected when they were at Morehouse (and Drama is a backpacker on the low).

• (and Drama is a backpacker on the low).
    word. i spun at a show years ago and he was Bahamadiah's deejay. Regardless dude is living the dream (legal drama aside).

(and Drama is a backpacker on the low).
    word. i spun at a show years ago and he was Bahamadiah's deejay. Regardless dude is living the dream (legal drama aside).

Young Phonics' "Dreams" Revealed (they involve pushing a six-series)!

• (and Drama is a backpacker on the low).

Young Phonics' Dreams Revealed (the involve pushing a six-series)!

Not neccesarilly, but he's built not only a strong deejay career in clubs and on the radio but parlay all that into what seems like a real buisness/movement and name brand that he can probally ride for a long time.

speaking of backpacker-on-the-low-isms

DJ Jamad ,part of the aphillyates, is a major kufi-dude.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you forgot about his illustrious movie career too

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Drama used to be down with all those binkus dudes in ATL. But this is when we still had a fat beats down there, and the headwrap set was still very much the move if you wanted to get with lauryn hill type spellman chicks.

I hear theres a picture of him floating around with waist length dreads (no homo) and flip flops.

• Drama used to be down with all those binkus dudes in ATL. But this is when we still had a fat beats down there, and the headwrap set was still very much the move if you wanted to get with lauryn hill type spellman chicks.

I hear theres a picture of him floating around with waist length dreads (no homo) and flip flops.

I really enjoyed reading this...thank you

• I hear theres a picture of him floating around with waist length dreads (no homo) and flip flops.

At first glance I read that as you have a photo of yourself with waist length dreads and flip-flops.

• I watched it again.

I could be wrong, but is that a sales plaque for the T.I. album? They got a "thank you for your support in helping T.I. go platinum" award and then they get busted. Doesn't make sense.

jeesh tommy i saw that when I first watched it...ah ha!

yeah...that is the most haterish shit...hey...hook us up...oh, wait...you'r gettin kinda big...we gotta squash that...,...........................................I smell a lawsuit!

• he's built not only a strong deejay career in clubs and on the radio but parlay all that into what seems like a real buisness/movement

He's not a DJ, he's an ENTITY!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts

He's not a DJ, he's an ENTITY!
    ahem, that's "Mr. Game Seven (aka: Mr Thanksgiving)" to everyone on this board. I knew when he requested that "From here on out, you call me Mr. Thanksgiving!!!" he was my favorite "mix"tape deejay.