Head Phone Strut (ear gear steeze)

Guantanamo_JonesGuantanamo_Jones 177 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Folks may think this is not very advisable but had been making beats on shitty $20 sony "dynamic stereo headphones" I am consistantly broke nowadays, I would save my money and buy a decent pair of headphones but It is hard for me to spend more then $20 in one purchase even though i have broken many pairs of these sony bullshits and comparible models on previose occasions, and because of my roomate situation i need to use headphones a lot. anyways headphones pair #30782 were blown out earlier this evening. taking the lowend completely out of my headgear I have decided that i am going to throw down some duckets sometime early febuary when I should have some extra dolo. any recomendations of decent studio headphones in the under $200 bracket?

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Ultrasone. I bought a pair of the HFI-550s for $100 and haven't looked back since. They just plain don't sound like headphones, they sound like speakers, especially if you've got them amped right: (http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/ or headphone.com)

Highly reccomended. I know about 9000 people will shit on this thread with Sony MDR-V6/7506 reccomendations, and I used those for a long time, but they tend to distort easily and "crunch" at the midrange. You hear a lot of detail with them, and they fit well, but my ears get really tired listening to them, and they self-compress in a way that makes you keep turning the volume up until it gets harsh.

Other than that the Sennheiser SP-25s are a staple among lots of DJs, particularly in the UK. The AKG 240s has been the studio standard for years.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I've been reseraching lately too because I'm planning a new headphone purchase in the same price range. What I've come up with is the grado sr (I'm not sure of the number but it's the $125 pair), and the Sennheiser HD650's or 550's, some number like that.

• can you plug these headphones directly into the output of your soundcards(via adapter if needed) or do you need amplification?
    i admittedly am not a well informed gear junky...yet

You can, and it will probably sound good to your ears. But once you've heard them with a headphone amp you won't want to go back.

• Shure E4C Noise Reductions Earbuds.

• Mmmmm Butter for the Ears

Limited Edition Luxury Headphones
    Truly, a luxury audio stereo for your ears, these headphones are the world's first high fidelity audiophile grade dynamic stereo headphones. Made with Japan's finest Hokkaido cherry tree (Asada) for a superior sound reproduction and luxury materials from Great Britain's royal manufacturing company, Connolly Luxury Goods, these luxury audio headphones are in a unique class unto themselves.

Available in limited edition with only 500 units made worldwide, the Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 stands true to the Superluxx grade quality, with all units hand assembled in Japan and in England.

Features include Audio-Technica's D.A.D.S. (Double Air Danping System) for transparent and accurate bass reproduction... and because it's made with Hokkaido, Japan's Asada cherry tree wood, it has superior sound reproduction with a deep resonating bass and vocal projection unmatched in its class.

Of course, these headphone come equipt with a natural ear pad hand-crafted from only the finest leather -- from Connolly Luxury Goods Limited -- into an exquisite ear and head fitting design.

Price: $2,349

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    I recently got a pair of "HIFI Headphones" for xmas.
    They were Sennheisers and sounded awfully terrible with a high amount of ear fatigue.

I went to the store and exchanged them for a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT-990s.
    The padding on the ears is so soft, and the sound is nice and even, no meanass membrane-stabbing boosted freqs...

These run at about $ 140 and are more for a home/mixing/recording purpose.
    But they work great regardless...

I hear nice things about AKG headphones, but I hate them to death since the cups are tiny and after like 2 hrs of headphonery your ears feel like they had just been injected with a cracklike form of botox.

So, if you got big ears, give those beyer dynamics a test run!

Sennheiser is a good brand and their Headphones are pretty neat esp if you need something fixed since almost every part is exchangable - still I just couldnt stand the sound - too plastic

• You can, and it will probably sound good to your ears. But once you've heard them with a headphone amp you won't want to go back.

you gotta school me on headphone amps now... i am curiose and

You can, and it will probably sound good to your ears. But once you've heard them with a headphone amp you won't want to go back.

you gotta school me on headphone amps now... i am curiose and

The simplest explaination is that just like you need a good amplifier to make any loudspeakers sound good, the same holds true for headphones. Nicer headphones usually have a higher impedence, meaning they are harder for an amplifier to power, so often times a super expenisive pair of headphones like Sennheiser 580s or 600s will sound like shit coming out of an iPod or even a nice soundcard.

In the headphone amp world, there are basically 3 options. 1) Build your own Cmoy amp in an altoids tin. Not too hard, and will cost you about $40 for parts for a nice one. They sound great. 2) Get one of the inexpensive Headroom models, like the Total Airhead. These also have a crossfeed to counteract the fact that when you listen to things in the real world, you hear them in both ears, even if an instrument is panned 100% to one side. The crossfeed is time-delayed in a way that mimics real hearing, and makes headphones sound more natural. 3) Buy another brand of headphone amplifier, which will probably cost you oodles and not sound as good as Headroom stuff.

That's the lowdown.

• Recently got some new headphones just for listening to music at work. I had a pair of really crappy inear phones. I think they were sony. I found them really uncomfortable and the sound was cutting in and out. I wanted something that did not go inside my ear but I didn't want huge earphones either seeing as I am at work and I still want to look somewhat professional.

I got the Sennheiser PX 100's for like $30 and they are great. They are comfortable and they sound good without making me look like an air traffic controller.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I have a pair of Bose that my wife gave me for christmas. Not the noise cancelling ones but a good pair. The sound is great, but after about 4 hours they really start to hurt my ears. Not the inner ear from the sound, but my actual ears, they get sore and it really hurts.

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    What Sonys have you been using? Model #? I've had the MDR V150's (yes, $20 headphones) and almost every enginerr I've ever sent beats to for mixing/mastering actually liked the way the mix turned out. I have no issues with mine and I just bought a new pair yesterday.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I've been extremely happy with my Grado SR-80s, easily the best piece of stereo equipment I own. Actually, it's my second pair, I bought a pair for my wife but she brought them to work so I had to get another pair for home use. Subjectively, I found a big bump in performance between the SR-60s and the SR-80, although the slightly cheaper SR-60s still blew the doors off the DJ style headphones I was using before. You should be able to score the SR-80s for just under $100. The only downside of the Grados is that the open design does not filter out any outside noise whatsoever, so they're pretty much useless outside of a quiet indoor listening environment.

I've also used the AKG240s extensively, which is what they have at my radio station. They also have pretty good sound, although I haven't compared them directly to the Grado head to head--that and we usually listen to the air signal in the studio which means the audio is compressed-limited-expanded to death in the air chain so the fidelity of the headphones is not a big issue. They are more comfortable than the Grados, they filter out more outside sound, and considering that they stand up to a fair amount of abuse in a college radio environment, I can say they're reasonably tough.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Mmmmm Butter for the Ears

Limited Edition Luxury Headphones
    Truly, a luxury audio stereo for your ears, these headphones are the world's first high fidelity audiophile grade dynamic stereo headphones. Made with Japan's finest Hokkaido cherry tree (Asada) for a superior sound reproduction and luxury materials from Great Britain's royal manufacturing company, Connolly Luxury Goods, these luxury audio headphones are in a unique class unto themselves.

Available in limited edition with only 500 units made worldwide, the Audio-Technica ATH-L3000 stands true to the Superluxx grade quality, with all units hand assembled in Japan and in England.

Features include Audio-Technica's D.A.D.S. (Double Air Danping System) for transparent and accurate bass reproduction... and because it's made with Hokkaido, Japan's Asada cherry tree wood, it has superior sound reproduction with a deep resonating bass and vocal projection unmatched in its class.

Of course, these headphone come equipt with a natural ear pad hand-crafted from only the finest leather -- from Connolly Luxury Goods Limited -- into an exquisite ear and head fitting design.

Price: $2,349

i just creamed my pants and drewled a little.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Ultrasone. I bought a pair of the HFI-550s for $100 and haven't looked back since. They just plain don't sound like headphones, they sound like speakers, especially if you've got them amped right: (http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/ or headphone.com)

Highly reccomended. I know about 9000 people will shit on this thread with Sony MDR-V6/7506 reccomendations, and I used those for a long time, but they tend to distort easily and "crunch" at the midrange. You hear a lot of detail with them, and they fit well, but my ears get really tired listening to them, and they self-compress in a way that makes you keep turning the volume up until it gets harsh.

Other than that the Sennheiser SP-25s are a staple among lots of DJs, particularly in the UK. The AKG 240s has been the studio standard for years.

not only the sony's are made of plastic which I've had friends go through em like toliet paper cause they break so easily. I own em, love em, and wouldnt mind a pair of Ultrasone's or an AKG 240.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I use the technics joints still SHDJ1200s...

those are my shit! i love 'em

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i'm sorry but i have to brag about my secret lover giving me these as a late x-mas gift this week:

now all i need is a chair like this

nestled next to something cozy like this

enjoying some of this

while perched on a rug made of these

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    i'm sorry but i have to brag about my secret lover giving me these as a late x-mas gift this week:

now all i need is a chair like this

nestled next to something cozy like this

enjoying some of this

while perched on a rug made of these

and now alllll you need is this......
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Do you mean RP-DJ1200s? I think the SH-DJ1200 is a mixer unless my googling led me astray.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

Do you mean RP-DJ1200s? I think the SH-DJ1200 is a mixer unless my googling led me astray.

woops, yeah the RP joints. HOT....

peace.

and now alllll you need is this......
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    no thanks.

i'm fine with my lemonaaaade....

that cool, refreshing drink.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I just got those two days ago. I'm happy, I feel like they need a decent amount of break-in time to really be fully enjoyed though. THe grado sr125's were not very comfortable, and I'm pretty sure the 595's have user replaceable components.

Did yours have any kind of paperwork in the package? All mine had was instructions for the little shelf-thing that it comes with.

• and now alllll you need is this......

Did yours have any kind of paperwork in the package? All mine had was instructions for the little shelf-thing that it comes with.

das all dat came wit dem.