Letter From Birmingham Jail

LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
While jailed in Birmingham AL in 1963 Martin Luther King created one of the greatest pieces of persuasive, political, moral writings ever. Paper and pencil had to be brought or smuggled into him. He used no reference books. The letter crystallizes how I want to live my life and why. It is far too long to cut and paste here, but follow the link and read the whole thing. I present you with the first paragraphs that contains the quote "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Other famous quotes that you may know, but be unaware of their source, are contained in the letter. It was a response to sympathetic White clergy men who felt that Dr King was an impatient outsider.April 16, 1963 MY DEAR FELLOW CLERGYMEN: While confined here in the Birmingham city jail, I came across your recent statement calling my present activities "unwise and untimely." Seldom do I pause to answer criticism of my work and ideas. If I sought to answer all the criticisms that cross my desk, my secretaries would have little time for anything other than such correspondence in the course of the day, and I would have no time for constructive work. But since I feel that you are men of genuine good will and that your criticisms are sincerely set forth, I want to try to answer your statements in what I hope will be patient and reasonable terms. I think I should indicate why I am here In Birmingham, since you have been influenced by the view which argues against "outsiders coming in." I have the honor of serving as president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, an organization operating in every southern state, with headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia. We have some eighty-five affiliated organizations across the South, and one of them is the Alabama Christian Movement for Human Rights. Frequently we share staff, educational and financial resources with our affiliates. Several months ago the affiliate here in Birmingham asked us to be on call to engage in a nonviolent direct-action program if such were deemed necessary. We readily consented, and when the hour came we lived up to our promise. So I, along with several members of my staff, am here because I was invited here I am here because I have organizational ties here. But more basically, I am in Birmingham because injustice is here. Just as the prophets of the eighth century B.C. left their villages and carried their "thus saith the Lord" far beyond the boundaries of their home towns, and just as the Apostle Paul left his village of Tarsus and carried the gospel of Jesus Christ to the far corners of the Greco-Roman world, so am I. compelled to carry the gospel of freedom beyond my own home town. Like Paul, I must constantly respond to the Macedonian call for aid. Moreover, I am cognizant of the interrelatedness of all communities and states. I cannot sit idly by in Atlanta and not be concerned about what happens in Birmingham. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. Never again can we afford to live with the narrow, provincial "outside agitator" idea. Anyone who lives inside the United States can never be considered an outsider anywhere within its bounds.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Here is the link to the whole letter:
    http://www.nobelprizes.com/nobel/peace/MLK-jail.html

• thanks dan.
    much appreciated.

i wish more of MLK's thoughts, words and writings were celebrated on his holiday. I have gotten to the point where i cringe when i hear "i have a dream"...seems like the man got boiled down into one feel good message for everyone to parrot over and over like a hallmark card. I recall some of his writings on Vietnam as being very cutting edge. anyone have a link to som eof those? i am guessing that they would probably be very relevant in 2007. And his campaigns for the poor? MLK was thinking big and broad, not just on some i have a dream kumbaya business.

respect.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    MLK was thinking big and broad, not just on some i have a dream kumbaya business.

No doubt.

But u know mo fuckas arent going to bring his real shit to the table for the "holiday". 10 billion served.....

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The rhetoric and actions of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had and still have a profound effect on my father, so much so that my middle name is Martin after MLK himself. I have read the words from A Letter From Birmingham Jail many times, and they continue to inspire. He had a special gift for being to overcome the harsh emotions of anger and channel them into a positive force that changed the world. To have so much composure and to be able to think and feel so deeply while unjustly imprisoned, sent death threats, and having his house bombed is so far beyond the reactionary politics of our time. He is truly the most principaled leader of the 20th century, and his ideas remain just as relevant as they ever.

If he were alive, the world would be a much different place. Take some time in your day, and hopefully in your life to honor his memory and spread his real message to those who have been presented with such a simplistic view of his principals.

• BlightyBlighty 225 Posts
    thanks dan.
    much appreciated.

i wish more of MLK's thoughts, words and writings were celebrated on his holiday. I have gotten to the point where i cringe when i hear "i have a dream"...seems like the man got boiled down into one feel good message for everyone to parrot over and over like a hallmark card. I recall some of his writings on Vietnam as being very cutting edge. anyone have a link to som eof those? i am guessing that they would probably be very relevant in 2007. And his campaigns for the poor? MLK was thinking big and broad, not just on some i have a dream kumbaya business.

respect.

You're right. His anti-war/pro-peace message is still very relevant and overlooked.

Audio and text of an speech he gave against the Vietnam War in the Riverside church New York City exactly one year to the day before he was assassinated.

Flash anti-war clip from Buzzflash using parts of the same speech.

Happy birthday Dr King.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    thanks dan.
    much appreciated.

respect.

You're right. His anti-war/pro-peace message is still very relevant and overlooked.

Audio and text of an speech he gave against the Vietnam War in the Riverside church New York City exactly one year to the day before he was assassinated.

Happy birthday Dr King.
    I never heard neither speech. It's amazing that this doesn't get taught in America's classrooms (I know I wasn't taught this when I was in school).

What does Mr. Bush think about Dr. King's views on warfare?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    thanks dan.
    much appreciated.

respect.

Happy birthday Dr King.
    I never heard neither speech. It's amazing that this doesn't get taught in America's classrooms (I know I wasn't taught this when I was in school).

What does Mr. Bush think about Dr. King's views on warfare?

Blight, thanks for the links.

My impression is that only the Montgomery Bus boycott and the I Have A Dream speech are taught in schools. Most of the country knows only the IHAD speech. I noticed the anti-war speech contains a line he might use today to respond:

Over the past two years, as I have moved to break the betrayal of my own silences and to speak from the burnings of my own heart, as I have called for radical departures from the destruction of Vietnam, many persons have questioned me about the wisdom of my path. At the heart of their concerns this query has often loomed large and loud: "Why are you speaking about the war, Dr. King?" "Why are you joining the voices of dissent?" "Peace and civil rights don't mix," they say. "Aren't you hurting the cause of your people," they ask? And when I hear them, though I often understand the source of their concern, I am nevertheless greatly saddened, for such questions mean that the inquirers have not really known me, my commitment or my calling.[/b] Indeed, their questions suggest that they do not know the world in which they live.

This paragraph stands out for me:
    The war in Vietnam is but a symptom of a far deeper malady within the American spirit, and if we ignore this sobering reality...and if we ignore this sobering reality, we will find ourselves organizing "clergy and laymen concerned" committees for the next generation. They will be concerned about Guatemala and Peru. They will be concerned about Thailand and Cambodia. They will be concerned about Mozambique and South Africa. We will be marching for these and a dozen other names and attending rallies without end, unless there is a significant and profound change in American life and policy.

I had a witty response to your Bush question, but I am trying to stay positive today.