new diggers appreciation

Comments

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I'm amazed at the elitism in this thread. It's a sign of low self-esteem when people have to put down others to feel good about themselves. I used to feel this way, but through age and wisdom, I realize the error in my ways. We all started in darkness before finding the light. Welcome to the new diggers for there are enough records for everyone.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    saying this thread is about positivity and positive bank accounts

positive attitude towards dudes coming up that wanna get in the game and learn. they will put money in your pockets, really.

no love for stinky old dudes who are beat up like hell wearing pants that have never been washed and who try to be elitists about rock and everything un-funky. oof.

saying,

what's really good

• dayday 9,612 Posts

more plaese

• meshmesh 925 Posts

more plaese

what up day!

and we all started as newbies.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Hey, what's goin on man

I agree, cut these dudes some slack. Everyone was there once.

Now, someone post more moaninglatinajpegraers por favor

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Hey, what's goin on man

I agree, cut these dudes some slack. Everyone was there once.

Now, someone post more moaninglatinajpegraers por favor

I would hope that most of us our joking. No doubt most of this stuff is all stuff everyone does in the begining. But I will say I knew what a break was right off the bat. I there there are people who don't listen to hip hop that still idenditfy with digging breaks but they are on a whole different trip. I think to them a break is just something cool and funky and has nothing to do with chops and samples etc. But at the same time it often has nothing to do with cool and funky!!!!!

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Of course we all started as newbies, not knowing what to buy or what was good. But c'mon, there's no harm in poking a little fun at the new dudes on the block now that we're a bit more well-travelled. Just playin', yo.

• I actually think new diggers can sometimes be much more open minded about their selections because they haven't developed any habits yet. I've learned plenty from some younger cats who are willing to listen to a pile of records regardless of their value, which is how I've always tried to be about checking out music.

Some (but not all) of the more experienced collectors/diggers can be genre challenged as a result of thier hardcore niches. Like dudes who only collect Blue Notes for example...weird.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Here it is. Naturally I had to cover up all the nasty bits, but take a look at those raers !

• Hey,

I'm amazed at the elitism in this thread. It's a sign of low self-esteem when people have to put down others to feel good about themselves. I used to feel this way, but through age and wisdom, I realize the error in my ways. We all started in darkness before finding the light. Welcome to the new diggers for there are enough records for everyone.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

big ol co-sign here...I'm amazed at the elistism on this whole site.

My first thread was in the trades/wants forum

http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=336126&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

so far....

1. Some smartass questions the use of "rare" in my topic (nothing better to do?)

2. followed by another person who tries convincing me the other guy knows what "rare" is all bout because he "digs for a living" (and that makes him the authority on "rare", right?)

3. not to be outdone by someone else who hijacks/asks another guy to sell some random record in the same thread (when it clearly says the trade forums is for trades only)

4. then to have someone else tell me what thier definition of rare is

5. and finally to have another clown tell people how un-rare the records I'm trading are because they should be collected after all the grover lp!?!? (since when is listening to music turned into collecting baseball cards?)

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Having one thread about this isn't enough?

The shit is pretty cut and dry as far as what's considered rare = limited and small number of pressings. Now there's degrees of rare that they all covered in the other thread, like how often a record pops up in your neighborhood spots etc., but I think the title of your trades threw people off. Donald Byrd doesn't equate to rare to most folks on here.
    Do your thing tho, just C H I L L homie. It's not that serious.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Here it is. Naturally I had to cover up all the nasty bits, but take a look at those raers !

good looks on that, it's all about the face though!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Doggie, you taking things way too personal and way too serious in that thread.

• Having one thread about this isn't enough?

The shit is pretty cut and dry as far as what's considered rare = limited and small number of pressings. Now there's degrees of rare that they all covered in the other thread, like how often a record pops up in your neighborhood spots etc., but I think the title of your trades threw people off. Donald Byrd doesn't equate to rare to most folks on here.
    Do your thing tho, just C H I L L homie. It's not that serious.

shit aint about using the word rare or not.

it's about dude talking down to me like im 8 years old and how him and his boys think he's the messiah of records.

if i say "i think those peabo brysons are some of the rarest records in the world" thats my choice of wording. If you don't agree (especially since the use of the word rare is subjective), thats gotta be a red light to jump all over someone new to the site? and then show me how superior your "digging for a living" is?

Seriously, what happened in that thread was a dick measuring contest along with all the pissing contests that go on in the weekly finds as well as the gold medal winning platform celebration started in this thread.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

He may be taking it too personal, but really when you have a trade thread people should leave you alone. That's not the place to jump in and start lectuing someone on how to describe their records. You don't like his trades ignore the thread. That's like taking the time to e-mail every e-bay seller that his stuff isn't rare.

• Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

WHOA!! My comment was in good fun. I'm poking fun at myself even in a way. Back in the beginning, i used to skip over alot of stuff from late 70s early 80s if it didn't "look right" (or some dumb shit, what was i thinking????).

Shit just comes full circle in that respect. Like someone else said, newbies are WAY open minded for trying to turn up new stuff. BUT, certain things are often slept on by them too. Often stuff you percieve as "too new". I could knock my head against the wall at SOOOO many things i passed up back in the day.

No put down though, just friendly local competition. Which i feel is great!!!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

He may be taking it too personal, but really when you have a trade thread people should leave you alone. That's not the place to jump in and start lectuing someone on how to describe their records. You don't like his trades ignore the thread. That's like taking the time to e-mail every e-bay seller that his stuff isn't rare.

Shiiiiiiit, cats lie on E-bay on the daily. Why don't you guys let the man live? Veterans will know the rarity or not, so what positive comes out of frontin' on dude in the other thread? I know Lotus and don't think of him as an antagonistic-type dude, but the dogpile on Igotthatbeat on the subsequent posts was flagrant. What constructive purpose did that serve, other than to alienate someone, and perhaps pound your chest as superior?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Lying on eBay is one thing but people here tend to have more record knowledge so the whole lying thing doesn't work too well. It ain't like people are going to be like "Oh, he didn't say it was rare jazz and funk so I ain't gonna check for his shit." While I don't really agree with putting people on blast when they are trying to trade stuff, what's the deal with having to label shit as rare? We all know Bob James and Donald Byrd are good and all (and probably a lot better than most shit people consider "rare") but their releases can hardly be considered rare.

Lying on eBay is one thing but people here tend to have more record knowledge so the whole lying thing doesn't work too well. It ain't like people are going to be like "Oh, he didn't say it was rare jazz and funk so I ain't gonna check for his shit." While I don't really agree with putting people on blast when they are trying to trade stuff, what's the deal with having to label shit as rare? We all know Bob James and Donald Byrd are good and all (and probably a lot better than most shit people consider "rare") but their releases can hardly be considered rare.

Yeah Brian, I feel your point, but I didn't get "heated" behind the trade advertisement. It brought about more of a snicker response from me than one of bravado or aggression. I just didn't understand the strong, negative response. Based on the post, it was easy to chalk it up to inexperience. Given this, I found the responses unnecessary that's all.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Yeah, shit just got blown out of proportion. Lots of people blowing up over nothing lately. Everyone just needs to chill, haha.

• Lying on eBay is one thing but people here tend to have more record knowledge so the whole lying thing doesn't work too well. It ain't like people are going to be like "Oh, he didn't say it was rare jazz and funk so I ain't gonna check for his shit." While I don't really agree with putting people on blast when they are trying to trade stuff, what's the deal with having to label shit as rare? We all know Bob James and Donald Byrd are good and all (and probably a lot better than most shit people consider "rare") but their releases can hardly be considered rare.

again, it's not about whats rare or not.

It's about having some common respect for anyone trying to trade records. If you feel the record isn't worthy of being rare, fine...move on to the next thread (just as someone mentioned on ebay, what would you do? move on to the next auction or email every seller to every record you thought was un-worth of being labeled rare?).

But to hate on someone for labeling a record as rare, while its for trade, in the same post, and then tell them how un-rare it is, and how much more superior you are...that's just pathetic.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    That's where the taking shit too seriously part comes into play. lotusland's initial post was a mere "rare?" Dude is just asking a question. Hating would be "YO THAT SHIT AINT RARE HOMIE TAKE THAT SHIT BACK TO GOODWILL SON" or something along the lines of that. While I agree that he probably shouldn't have posted something like that at all, you blowing up on him did not help the situation at all. Perhaps you could have followed your private message advice and messaged him to find out what was up with his post.

• That's where the taking shit too seriously part comes into play. lotusland's initial post was a mere "rare?" Dude is just asking a question. Hating would be "YO THAT SHIT AINT RARE HOMIE TAKE THAT SHIT BACK TO GOODWILL SON" or something along the lines of that. While I agree that he probably shouldn't have posted something like that at all, you blowing up on him did not help the situation at all. Perhaps you could have followed your private message advice and messaged him to find out what was up with his post.

you're right in that I should have PM'd him, cause things only escalated from there...

but I was refering to the handfuls of people that slammed me without reason and added more shit to the pile...im not just talking about lotuslands "rare?" comment that originally set it off.

and yeah i did overact a bit, ive never come across this kinda snobby mentality before when I've traded records (in person). From reading this thread I ain't the only one getting those kinda vibes so looks like imma have to take the good with the bad around here.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

It's about having some common respect for anyone trying to trade records. If you feel the record isn't worthy of being rare, fine...move on to the next thread (just as someone mentioned on ebay, what would you do? move on to the next auction or email every seller to every record you thought was un-worth of being labeled rare?).

But to hate on someone for labeling a record as rare, while its for trade, in the same post, and then tell them how un-rare it is, and how much more superior you are...that's just pathetic.

What are you so worked up about, dude?

You really think there were a bunch of people who were on the verge of PMing you with trade offers but who then reconsidered when they learned courtesy of Lotusland that the records in question were NOT RARE?

Get real.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

You really think there were a bunch of people who were on the verge of PMing you with trade offers but who then reconsidered when they learned courtesy of Lotusland that the records in question were NOT RARE?

Get real.

I'm sending back Bob James One, you shiester!

• Lying on eBay is one thing but people here tend to have more record knowledge so the whole lying thing doesn't work too well. It ain't like people are going to be like "Oh, he didn't say it was rare jazz and funk so I ain't gonna check for his shit." While I don't really agree with putting people on blast when they are trying to trade stuff, what's the deal with having to label shit as rare? We all know Bob James and Donald Byrd are good and all (and probably a lot better than most shit people consider "rare") but their releases can hardly be considered rare.

Get real.

::smh::

the last of my worries are trade offers on a dozen records. I'm even less worried about what other people think about others opinion on what a rare record is.

but wait...why am I even bothering replying to you? you're the guy in the pink shirt, aint you? tee hee

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

If you feel the record isn't worthy of being rare, fine...move on to the next thread (just as someone mentioned on ebay, what would you do? move on to the next auction or email every seller to every record you thought was un-worth of being labeled rare?).

igotthatbeat,

I hear where you're coming from, homie, and I trust that in the future the soulstrut massive will welcome you with open arms, but I really do think that you're reading too much hate into the comments made in the Trades section. People are just giving you a hard time cause you're new. Records are plastic, and record collectors are dorks. Just remember that next time someone says something on this site that you perceive as distasteful.

That said, I think the point needs to be driven home that 'rare' is not a subjective term as it applied to collecting. Rarity is quantitative not qualitative. That is, you could mount a viable argument that the music on the Wayne McGhie album sucks, but you could never dispute its rarity. As a collector, you just have to concede that the frequency with wchich you encounter an album has no bearing on that album's rarity.

$.02

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I am beginning to unappreciate my own appreciation thread

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Saturday fools! come back on Monday and do the damn thing (if necessary).

Beefstrut regular hours: Mon-Fri 8am-12pm

have a good one peeps!