new diggers appreciation

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited June 2005 in Record Collecting
okay I'm flipping my switch on what I said about new diggers

bring them on

everyone plaese start digging

seriously, plaese. get your siblings and grandmothers on the vinyl quest.

because....
you will buy manny great rackords from me and be happy!!!

then I will be happy and have more space in my dingy record spiderhole!

one love,

-M (no, no rude)

(a kinder gentler latency)

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    everyone plaese start digging

they have.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

because....
    you will buy manny great rackords from me and be happy!!!

EXACTLY!

I know I have a bad attitude about this, but really, what's up with these 50 year old men who appear to be "beginning diggers"? I can't figure this out. I don't mind the kid's, but these crusty old fuckers really bug me...

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts

they have.
    Yeah I just started using my foot for boxes under tables so now I got my Left and Right Hands diggin and now my Right foot... still working on the left but my balance is still not up to big wheel status. But I'm finding way more gems and a nice repelent! Toe Jam Rocks The World!

I know I have a bad attitude about this, but really, what's up with these 50 year old men who appear to be "beginning diggers"? I can't figure this out. I don't mind the kid's, but these crusty old fuckers really bug me...

I think its probably even more prevelant in Australia where funk is less known about, and its usually psych collectors or dealers who have just learned about "breaks." What I find funny is with a little strategic questioning you usually realise that dudes don't even really know what a break is!

Are we talking about actual old dudes that have just started buying records period? That would be hilarious!

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

I think its probably even more prevelant in Australia where funk is less known about, and its usually psych collectors or dealers who have just learned about "breaks." What I find funny is with a little strategic questioning you usually realise that dudes don't even really know what a break is!

Are we talking about actual old dudes that have just started buying records period? That would be hilarious!

I think some of it is that these guys sold all their stuff when CD's came out cuz they were convinced vinyl was going to die. Now that it's made a "comeback" a lot of people are getting back into it. Also, a lot of guys have their wives make them get rid of the stuff. Then if they get devoriced they go right back to it. I've sold a lot of records to people that say "oh I used to have all this and got rid of it."

Are we talking about actual old dudes that have just started buying records period?

yes, we are.

Are we talking about actual old dudes that have just started buying records period?

yes, we are.

Ahh ok.

I dunno how it is Stateside, but over here you got the old prog rock slash whatever record collectors that have just gotten into funk/digging in the last few years. Its hella corny and lame, and it just makes them come off like idiots because a) they often demonstrate no knowledge of what a break actually is (especially when they use the term to describe arecord with no open breaks on it!) and b) they think MPC is a brand of baked beans.

And besides... "they're too old" [Happy Gilmore voice]

Old people are funny half the time they think everything is worth at least a bill.

And they wan't you to put their Lawrence Welk on consignment!!!!! (serious phone call )

cause a) they often demonstrate no knowledge of what a break actually is (especially when they use the term to describe arecord with no open breaks on it!)

Oh man!!!!! Cosign. Everything is a break to these guys. I admit it can be a hard term to describe, but you either know it or you don't.

But if you really think about it we can dig for years and years and still find ill ish weather or not new diggers dig, they eventually sell so new things pop up, it's like my boy's simba his dad use to say it's the circle of life!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    new diggers are the best cause they pass up on everything cool cuz they are just looking for records with afro's on the covers and breaks.

new diggers are the best cause they pass up on everything cool cuz they are just looking for records with afro's on the covers and breaks.

true, true...

Hey that's supppose to be a secret, now the new lurkers will pick all the sneak ish...

Yep... most new diggers pass on anything that doesn't have James brown or George Clinton on the front!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Yep... most new diggers pass on anything that doesn't have James brown or George Clinton on the front!

Ah, but let's not forget the "experienced digger" who passes over everything with James Brown or George Clinton on the front, even if they don't already have it, because it's "common."

Cause, you know, "james brown is played out"

Ah, but let's not forget the "experienced digger" who passes over everything with James Brown or George Clinton on the front, even if they don't already have it, because it's "common."

Classic!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    So you guys never made any mistakes at first? Buying garbage fusion and gospel records. Cool. Leave the private psych and folk for me. Thanks.

• I admit it can be a hard term to describe, but you either know it or you don't.

Know thyself, and you shall know thy break.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    These comments are all garbage, in the beginning with no knowledge or portable under your belt, you pick up everything with a nice cover, great songtitles or musicians you're vaguely familiar with.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Making a small mistake once is the best way to learn.

Another newbie digger:

ooh cot damn that break is hot, play it again, play it again!!!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Even today with knowledge and maybe even a portable under your belt, you pick up everything with a nice cover, great songtitles or musicians you're vaguely familiar with.

Everyday with knowledge we all posess and maybe even a portable under our belts, we tend to pick up everything with a nice cover, great songtitles or musicians we're vaguely familiar with. Bad habits die hard.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

more plaese

I jacked that pic from Lamont, he needs to weigh in more on this issue

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

but hey, you combine those two people's digs and you got nothing left.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    I dunno how it is Stateside, but over here you got the old prog rock slash whatever record collectors that have just gotten into funk/digging in the last few years. Its hella corny and lame, ....

word, it's much better to be into "rare ausie funk with breaks" or wanting your first copies of Placebo and Bob James 2

• Right now im appreciating the "new digger" for leaving all of the blazing ass Disco 12"s / 80s Funk 12"s behind at the fleas and thrifts. Allowing for crazy cum ups!!! Please ya'll, keep fearing the 76-83, I NEED IT!!!!

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts
    Right now im appreciating the "new digger" for leaving all of the blazing ass Disco 12"s / 80s Funk 12"s behind at the fleas and thrifts. Allowing for crazy cum ups!!! Please ya'll, keep fearing the 76-83, I NEED IT!!!!

Not just the new digger. I arrived at a garage sale today about a minute behind a local record store owner, but he passed on this: