Cookingstrut

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Been on the seafood tip the last two nights

That is the most amazing budget fish and around $8.00 a pound at whole foods.

Confused about what?

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

outta the zingermans cookbook. no idea how hard risotto was to make. came out amazing though. def worth it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I did my classic meal for my girl recently (learned from a frenchman in peru)

Honey Thym Pork Cream sauce pasta

marinate your pork in cider vinegar (I pique it with apples and garlic too)

cook in butter and thym pesto (I gots the home made pesto game on lock, parlsey,thym, ciboulette, oregano and OG)

roast until brown than evacuate from pan

drop the cream in there and watch it become brown

drop some honey and thym+epices de provence

serve sauce on pestoed thick egg noodle

you can do this with chops and only brown them than oven cook them in their own sauce later

I served it with a side of mushroom/apple saute with garam massala as main spice

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

outta the zingermans cookbook. no idea how hard risotto was to make. came out amazing though. def worth it.

It's just labor intensive as hell as you have to sit their and turn the stuff forever!

• my homegirl made chicken salad sammiches, gruyere n ham sammiches and we had a picnic today at lunch. well, kind of a picnic, cuz it was FREEZING outside. like tundra cold. low 60's n shit, doggz. so we ate inside. but it was damn tasty! bread is the key. oh yeah, and some homemade carrot cake!

i cooked, um tea. it was like british style eaten n shit.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

Shit was real involved. Making tamales is fun but very time consuming and very trial-and-error when it comes to getting the dough right. The green chile is even harder to get right and mine didn't turn out very good. I got all this shit figured out for next time though. How many white folks you know that make tamales and green chile?? Where my southwest folks at?

I dig making tamales! I like making them in large quantities. Also I batardize them a little bit by using sun dried tomatoes,peppers and other non traditional ingredients. Lard is the way to go when you are making those bad boys. I usually cook them at my restaurant then throw them in the freezer.

Been on the seafood tip the last two nights

Have you ever cooked perch? That is the most amazing budget fish. They're wild-caught, and usually around $8.00 a pound at whole foods. It's basically a mini snapper.

can't say i ever had perch...but I love snapper

It's just labor intensive as hell as you have to sit their and turn the stuff forever!

risotto shouldn't take too long to make...little over 20 minutes cooking time. You do have to stay there the whole time stirring it but it's worth it! The leftovers make good croquettes. Big fan of risotto!

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    we made some sort of steak with some green sauce & kale. birrled up some tamatillos, green pepper, jalape??os, onion and mashed em all up good with some sea salt for whatever they call that green sauce in mexican restaurants. then squirted hella mustard and soy sauce on that meat and cooked it up with a lil irl. cooked the kale on med heat with some soy sauce and balsamic vinegar and veg irl. also slapped together some crazy sauce with butter and chipotle peppers which was real dope on that steak. also made some gaucamole. i'm a little wierd about big slabs o meat and this meat didn't help that at all. too much fat and veins that it grosses me out to think about. a lesson in cooking it was, nonetheless. not as good as the salmon with asparagus and balsamic vinger reduction with parmeson cheese the night before.

• tonights dinner:

pan fried pork chops, with onions sauteed in beer for sauce
    cous cous from a box
    green beans

pork chops were killinit.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Made the legit home style Korean food tonight! Stir fried pork with kim chee, green onions, garlic and red pepper flakes.

The realness............................

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Made the legit home style Korean food tonight! Stir fried pork with kim chee, green onions, garlic and red pepper flakes.

The realness............................

dang! that makes a veg wanna turn to the dark side.

• I did a 3 Cheese Rissoto with chicken and asperagus a few nights back, the wifey is hooked on the stuff.

We had it on our honeymoon and shes been all over me to make it at home.

Its all good, cooking always gets me a happy ending.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm thinking about upping my Soy Sauce game. Any suggestions?
    Right now i'm working w/ a meid priced Tamari joint. And I see soy kinda like olive oil - various ages/styles/price ranges.

• one of my ex-lady's wont by any chinese brands cuz she said they filter it with human hair.

• I'm thinking about upping my Soy Sauce game. Any suggestions?
    Right now i'm working w/ a meid priced Tamari joint. And I see soy kinda like olive oil - various ages/styles/price ranges.

This would be the way to go.

http://www.bookofjoe.com/2006/11/ohsawa_nama_sho.html

It's not that expensive though. I don't know that $40 bottles of soy sauce even exist like balsamic or olive oil.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    there are big differences between chinese (see yau), japanese (shoyu), indonesian (kecap manis) etc, etc.

best bet is to buy a bunch of them and find out which goes w/ what. There's dark and light for chinese (pearl river being the most famous brand).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy_Sauce

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I've been digging the vegan ish lately. It's a hard diet, but every once in a while it is nice to have. Plus, you're body will thank you....
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

i love okra.

for me and Man:
    penne tossed with olive oil/garlic/white wine/chili flakes/capers over steamed rapini with fresh parmesan

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

i love okra.

for me and Man:
    penne tossed with olive oil/garlic/white wine/chili flakes/capers over steamed rapini with fresh parmesan

shit, im hungry now!

• i love okra.

for me and Man:

shit, im hungry now!

I make something similar but add shallots, pinenuts and sundried tomatoes...tasty.

• Co-sign Nama is excellent, although in my experience you can't find it very easily in chain grocery spots. The only place I can find it out here is at the health food store... it's unpasteurized and 100% organic. Organic tamari is also a nice alternative.

http://www.rawganique.com/Food1.htm

• Same here. Vegan/Veg for the most part with the occasional non-guilty indulgence.

Is that Mac and Cheese from the New Farm cookbook? If not, I can give you the recipe for it. Soooo good!! Better than traditional mac and cheese even. We serve it with oven roasted brussel sprouts tossed with extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and shaved garlic at the end. I also have a recipe for "chicken" salad that really unbelievable. We'd get these tiny overpriced tubs of the stuff at the deli, until we had the bright idea of looking up the recipe which we figured was probably unpublished. Ah, the wonders of google. Thank me later. The texture is what seals the deal.

http://www.suresave.com/recipesofhawaii/hawaiikitchen/2002/hk_recipe_june_2002.html

Scroll down a bit, combine first mock chicken recipe, with the ingredients for the wrap, minus the tortilla. I omit relish, and add some finely diced sweet red onion.

I cook for the carnivores in my house as well and have been using a lot of fresh ahi, mahi, paired with fresh salsas and avocado from the back yard.

aser the clams sound heavenly!

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    my friend put me on the b'fast of champions:

+

+

AND....

i was kinda about the peanut butter, but it definitly grew on me.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Last night I did sauteed shallots in olive oil with chunks of perch, sake, and fresh cilantro at the end. I didn't cook off all of the sake, so it made a nice sauce. I served it over soba noodles with a dash of rice wine vinegar. Blazin. And lately I'm into eating a bowl of lettuce (no dressing) before the entree.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    there definitely exists a $40 bottle of soy sauce. there is more expensive shit too. one of the fundamental properties of a high quality shoyu is that a single drop will hold it's shape in a pool of water. try it. you won't find anything like this in a grocery store. even in japanese markets the expensive brands aren't of this quality. as far as i know you need to order it. try "nishimoto trading". or "nikano". although they may distribute strictly to restaurants. find an asian market though and see if they can hook it up.
    but the difference between a $3 and a $15 bottle of shoyu is minimal. but when you're getting into the $40 range you're beginning to experience something sublime. like balsamic vinegar or anything else of this nature.
    as mentioned in previous posts though, there are plenty of other soy based products out there worth trying aside from 100% soybean derived japanese shoyu. they often contain wheat and other additives though. kecap manis for example, an indonesian/malaysian product consisting of a sweet, thick soy based product. Check for ABC brand. Work into you're next barbeque sauce.
    There's a wide range of soy based sauces categorized by color, salinity, and soy/wheat content, among other things. but i've never found a chinese product that i though was of any culinary interest aside from applying to braises and/or soups/stews. someone please correct me.

• i made some pumpkin coconut soup.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    there definitely exists a $40 bottle of soy sauce. there is more expensive shit too. one of the fundamental properties of a high quality shoyu is that a single drop will hold it's shape in a pool of water. try it. you won't find anything like this in a grocery store. even in japanese markets the expensive brands aren't of this quality. as far as i know you need to order it. try "nishimoto trading". or "nikano". although they may distribute strictly to restaurants. find an asian market though and see if they can hook it up.
    but the difference between a $3 and a $15 bottle of shoyu is minimal. but when you're getting into the $40 range you're beginning to experience something sublime. like balsamic vinegar or anything else of this nature.
    as mentioned in previous posts though, there are plenty of other soy based products out there worth trying aside from 100% soybean derived japanese shoyu. they often contain wheat and other additives though. kecap manis for example, an indonesian/malaysian product consisting of a sweet, thick soy based product. Check for ABC brand. Work into you're next barbeque sauce.
    There's a wide range of soy based sauces categorized by color, salinity, and soy/wheat content, among other things. but i've never found a chinese product that i though was of any culinary interest aside from applying to braises and/or soups/stews. someone please correct me.

Never heard that drop in water test. Good stuff right there. I cook Michelin-star food all night and can't bring myself to cook at home, save for a few occasions. I'd just rather go to the taco truck up the block, as sad as that is.

More power to you folks for cooking at home, though. I always like to hear about this, even though I'm too burnt out to practice it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Im wondering if one good sauce would cover all the bases - marinating/condiment/stirfry/bbq sauce.
    Or do i have to have 3-5 different bottles that do certain things better than others.

Like Olive Oils I have at least 4 different bottles for different tasks.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Im wondering if one good sauce would cover all the bases - marinating/condiment/stirfry/bbq sauce.
    Or do i have to have 3-5 different bottles that do certain things better than others.

Like Olive Oils I have at least 4 different bottles for different tasks.

whole wheat soy sauce

its more tasty, less ''dry'' for basting..just a great sauce