While shopping at Big Al's........................

OldschoolspinnaOldschoolspinna 311 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
I meet this dude, nice enough guy it seems.He tells me hes from Sacramento, ca here in san jose doing some digging.A short time into the convo he asks me if Ive seen "Scratch " the movie, well sue I have, I reply.So he gets all geekes and starts in on how theres this record store across from "The Hard Rock Cafe" In sacramento called simply "Records".Anyhow he claims this place is the Basement Dj Shadow was diggging thru in that movie.Ok so heres where the rubber meets the hoe.Is this guy correct?Does nayone here know for sure where that basement is?In addition, he stated that this store is going to be closed and torn down.Any sac rezedents hear of this?

Comments

• THe place from the Shadow cover is in Sacramento but that's the extent of my knowledge on that deal.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Hey

No basement.Just a backroom and a upstairs unit that you are not allowed to go up(unless Al,Jim or Larry are around).

The store that guy(Not Gene) is talking about called "Records" IS in Sacto.(on K-St)So he's lying!!(or just not clued up)

That store(records in Sac) smells of cat piss everywhere.(But, you'll find something there!)
    Big Al's smells of that Bird cage they need to clean up soon!!(and mold)

I seriously doubt that Big Al's is going to close anytime soon.(since they have been having that 50% off sale for the past 7 maybe 8 years now).

They just need to bring that stock from the back(and upstairs) upfront!

Hope this helps!
    Are you from San Jose Mr.Oldschool?

Much peace and respect:
    Adrian

• i'd rather know if big al is sitting on some tremendous backstock of lps/45s. since he was on el camino i've wondered about this possibility but he is just such a grumpy old bastard that it didn't seem like he'd ever let anyone through it if he did.

also, that fucking parrot has got to go.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    This is the littlest dude thread I've yet to see on Soulstrut.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Little dude,
    Big dude,
    He does,
    He does not,
    Sometimes,
    All the time,
    El camino,
    2 stores,
    No longer,
    No more!

He used to have a dumpster out front of the El Camino(when he supposed to call it quits).Then moved over to what was once known as Rowe's Rare Records.There also was a trailer next to it(My buddy got caught snooping around in there, pretty funny!)

But you'll find something,you just gotta be patient and he'll let you look at em.

• Cool.....I didnt think dude was talking right....The front of the store is right for that Dj sjadow joint, but its NOT the "Basement" from Scratch.

Dudes full of shit it seems, tellin me he used to play in that basement as a kid, and some long ass story about how the old guy that owned the "Basement" died and gave the store to his kid, whom never set foot in it before, yadda yadda yadda.

So if you see a dude in thick black frames, and he looks like a Gay Indian Chris Gains, and he starts talking a bunch of smack, pop his head and walk on by.

• i'd rather know if big al is sitting on some tremendous backstock of lps/45s. since he was on el camino i've wondered about this possibility but he is just such a grumpy old bastard that it didn't seem like he'd ever let anyone through it if he did.

also, that fucking parrot has got to go.

I can smell 2 copies of Stark in there somewhere...not out in the open but somewhere....its that faint bean dip smell that drives me.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Cool.....I didnt think dude was talking right....The front of the store is right for that Dj sjadow joint, but its NOT the "Basement" from Scratch.

I've been to the K Street Records basement, and it's pretty damn amazing. Tell me if I'm reading what you're saying wrong, but if dude told you that the store across from Hard Rock Cafe has the basement from Scratch, he is correct. The store was owned by an old guy who was really chill, and had an encyclopaedic knowlege of what resided in the basement, even though they haven't started organizing it until very recently.

When he died, some younger folks took over and realized that they were sitting on a goldmine. A goldmine, however, that has been deemed as a health & earthquake hazard by the city. When the guys who works there go to the basement, they wear dust masks cause there are toxic chemicals that are present in unsafe airborne amounts (hence the "it smells like gas" comment in Scratch). They'll let you in the store, but usually only on a Saturday and if you're low-key about it. Of course, they're also not letting go of stuff for ridiculously low prices anymore, but there is still tons of stuff to be had.

As for the future of the store, they've been contemplating moving for awhile, and I'm not sure if anythings final yet. K Street is dead, no one seems to go beyond the damn mall anymore, and there are a bunch of vacant buildings in the neighborhood. Hopefully something will work out.

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    paging russian.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    I think dude was saying that the basement is big gay al's shop and the front is k.st.(which is an absolute farse).

Cat piss and gas fumes, sounds like a party to me!

Last time I went(k-st basement) The cat had just ate a bat or maybe a bird(head was on the ground,yummie!)

That girl that works there freaked out when she saw it.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I think dude was saying that the basement is big gay al's shop and the front is k.st.(which is an absolute farse).

No, you're reading his story wrong again. The guy said that Records in Sacramento, across from the Hard Rock Cafe in SACRAMENTO was where the Scratch film was made with DJ Shadow.

• ageage 1,131 Posts

No, you're reading his story wrong again. The guy said that Records in Sacramento, across from the Hard Rock Cafe in SACRAMENTO was where the Scratch film was made with DJ Shadow.
    I read it as this:

Anyhow he claims this place(place meaning big al's) is the Basement Dj Shadow was diggging thru in that movie.
    Is this guy correct?
    Does nayone here know for sure where that basement is?

I could be wrong..now you got me wondering..damn

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    So he gets all geekes and starts in on how theres this record store across from "The Hard Rock Cafe" In sacramento called simply "Records".[/b]

Anyhow he claims this place is the Basement Dj Shadow was diggging thru in that movie.

3rd time is the charm.

• ageage 1,131 Posts

Had to do it.(Just felt like the right situation)

Dudes full of shit it seems, tellin me he used to play in that basement as a kid, and some long ass story about how the old guy that owned the "Basement" died and gave the store to his kid, whom never set foot in it before, yadda yadda yadda.

He did die and he did give the shop to his son. That much I know.

• Ahhhhhh Haaaaaa...glimmers of truth in the story.

My first thought was this guy is full of it.

But then folks here confermed, hes on the point.

Now I have to wonder..is that picked already? Could it be totaly picked out with that many records on hand?

Crazyness

• My brother (dj broski) shopped there in the late 90's. He said they left him in the basement alone for over an hour where he proceeded to masturbate + relieve himself on 2 sealed copies of Isaac Hayes 'Groove-a-thon' albums. When he presented said records to the owners, they charged him DOUBLE the going rate for these albums ($150 x2) because the owner said they had a 'magic alien goo' covering in the shrink!

Ahhhhhh Haaaaaa...glimmers of truth in the story.

Now I have to wonder..is that picked already? Could it be totaly picked out with that many records on hand?

Crazyness

Search around the djztrip.com forum. The son actually posted something over there about a year ago.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Ahhhhhh Haaaaaa...glimmers of truth in the story.

Crazyness

It's not picked. I mean it's not some digging wet dream where you just find sealed stacks of things you've been looking for forever, but you'll find a lot of solid stuff, especially from artists who were dope but didn't sell well.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    the dj shadow jacket where theyre diggin in a record store is K St Records. the basement in Scratch is the basement in K St Records. there is also tons of books and magazines and 78s down there. youll probably find some dead rats and mice and cats down there too. its also much larger downstairs than it is in the store.

i dont know what the basement looks like since i was down there in 4 or 5 years ago. if they are closing id like to be down in that basement again for a day.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Hey Spinna... come buy my records instead of going to Big Al's. I'm in Saratoga and have a better selection for cheaper

• that's funny i was just thinking of going to K street on the fat chance I would have some free fucking time.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    northern cali seems bountiful for dead mice/rats/ cats /vermin/
    epa superfund chemikill spills,mean store owners and HEAT that JOSH didn't get spooge on,,,,,,,,,,,

yet

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    that's funny i was just thinking of going to K street on the fat chance I would have some free fucking time money.

• that's funny i was just thinking of going to K street on the fat chance I would have some free fucking time money.

free time = no money
    money= no free time

the first time i went was with you and luke, haven't been back since.

WHY MUST I CRY!!!

that's funny i was just thinking of going to K street on the fat chance I would have some free fucking time money.

free time = no money
    money= no free time

Troof. I'm just waitin' for my first paycheck from the new jobby-job, and then it's on.

free time = no money
    money= no free time

Troof. I'm just waitin' for my first paycheck from the new jobby-job, and then it's on.

great yall will drive 90min north to buy records at a store thats been ran 100xs over instead of 20 minutes west to my crib. sniffle..

the love has been lost...

free time = no money
    money= no free time

great yall will drive 90min north to buy records at a store thats been ran 100xs over instead of 20 minutes west to my crib. sniffle..

The who with the what now? Is there another Jinx record sale I'm not knowing about?

• ageage 1,131 Posts

hahaha..not to you Justin..BTW..happy new year buddy!!

free time = no money
    money= no free time

The who with the what now? Is there another Jinx record sale I'm not knowing about?

yeah last saturday...

by the way, the wife kept the LB mixcd you gave me at milk. she wont give it back... its her daily commute music to work.