Apple iPhone hypery

2»

Comments

• there is no question in my mind that in a few years we will all be using one device for all our multimedia purposes.

i am just not sure if an apple product is going to be that device.

but like most other apple products, the concept/design gets a thumbs up from me. just not a $600 thumbs up.....yet.

considering the 200+ patents they've secured with the iPhone, this will be the top of it's class for a very long time. Good luck finding a phone that is easier and more accessible to the internet. Partnership with google/yahoo =

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,888 Posts
    I hope Vista really doesn't take cues from the Mac OS because I f*cking hate the Mac OS. All gloss and no intuition. So for the phone... Will I still have to use itunes to put content on it (or worse, make a call?).

I don't like carrying excess shit around just as much as the next dude, but this could end up like the car Homer Simpson designed. Y'know, a phone does "Phone" best, a camera does "Photo" best etc. Something has to give if all these features are crammed in the same box.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

OH SHIT...

Doesn't this dude know that XP users have been doing the so called "widget" for like EVER???
    I know its not a part of XP, but still.

expound please? i used windows xp for years and i've never noticed anything close to that

I kinda meant you could use it with XP. Not that it came with the system. But this was still years before Apple put it in.

Well, I said Samurize. I don't use it now, cause I kinda got board of pimpin' out my desktop a couple of years ago. But it was wicked when I first started to use it around 2001/2002.

http://www.samurize.com/modules/news/

There's some screen shots of some of the things you can do now.

http://www.samurize.com/modules/myalbum/

But for the guy to make it sound like Microsoft is ripping off apple's widgets is a joke...

• nevermind, I am a jackass.

yeah, I could buy this thing to replace a couple other things. but it needs a bigger HD for sure.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    nevermind, I am a jackass.

yeah, I could buy this thing to replace a couple other things. but it needs a bigger HD for sure.

it runs OS X but most likely a lighter version, like Windows CE. it coul run the full version with a 8 gig drive, but I would be surprised if the processor would be able to handle it along with phone and camera etc.

Also even though it runs mac OSX, its probably like most phones etc. running windows CE, where you never get access to the core operating system. It only allows you access to certain programs on it. Don't know though, until I actually see it in action, i can't say. Could be proved wrong on all counts.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

There's some screen shots of some of the things you can do now.

http://www.samurize.com/modules/myalbum/

holy shit!

well that's news to me. i've never heard of this samurize thing. where do these people download all their widgets

• But for the guy to make it sound like Microsoft is ripping off apple's widgets is a joke...

yeah, I'm a mac head, but the widgets to me really weren't that innovative. I just saw it as shortcuts for people who are too lazy to bookmark webpages or open the calculator program.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    the more i think about it, the more excited i am about the iPhone. the touch screen basically gives it a seemingly limitless range of software possibilities.

plus the visual voicemail stuff is basically the tip of the iceberg of what can come out of a partnership between a hardware company and a service provider. the cellphone game is finally gonna get user friendly.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    SAN FRANCISCO - Cisco Systems Inc. said Wednesday it is suing Apple Inc. in federal court over Apple's use of Cisco's registered iPhone trademark for its new handheld device.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Cisco has owned the trademark on the name "iPhone" since 2000, when it acquired InfoGear Technology Corp., which originally registered the name.

And three weeks ago, Cisco's Linksys division put the trademark to use, releasing an Internet-enabled phone called "iPhone" that uses the increasingly popular Voice over Internet Protocol, or VoIP.

On Tuesday, Apple unveiled the iPhone, its "game-changing" touch-screen-controlled cell phone device that plays music, surfs the Web and delivers voicemail and e-mail.

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, Cisco senior vice president and general counsel, in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

Cisco is seeking injunctive relief to prevent Apple from copying Cisco's iPhone trademark.

"Today's iPhone is not tomorrow's iPhone. The potential for convergence of the home phone, cell phone, work phone and PC is limitless, which is why it is so important for us to protect our brand," Chandler added.

• fuck it man, just add *turbo* to it.
    everything sounds better with *turbo*
    except Turbo *turbo*

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I wonder if technology is ever going to hit a plateau where already existing products cannot be "improved", combined or extended upon any longer.

I've wondered this myself, but things can always take more memory, have longer battery life, and get smaller. Just to name a few improvements.

I would just like a cell phone that doesn't drop calls.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I wonder how long it will take for them to engineer the iPhone to get to the point where it has the capacity of a normal iPod. I'm assuming it'd have to be flash-driven (vs. micro HD) and if that's the case, are they really close to putting out 30-40MB flash drives with a price point that will keep the iPhone where it is now?

I'd still be down to cop one of these without having the storage size...effectively, this is like pairing a Nano with all the other features and that's not too shabby but yeah, like most, if Apple put out an iPhone which a killer battery and iPod-like storage capabilities, I'd basically sell off my new iPod Shuffle (thanks wifey!) and 4G video iPod and just upgrade to this.

As others noted, I am very surprised that the WiFi capabilities don't include the ability to either synch/stream with iTunes. Doesn't anyone know if this is more of a DRM issue or more of a technical challenge? I have a hard time seeing it as the latter but maybe I'm missing something.

Nonetheless, my guess is that the inability to synch wirelessly is not a hardware but rather, software limitation which means that it's something Apple could hopefully "turn on" at a future point if it chooses to.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I wonder how long it will take for them to engineer the iPhone to get to the point where it has the capacity of a normal iPod. I'm assuming it'd have to be flash-driven (vs. micro HD) and if that's the case, are they really close to putting out 30-40MB flash drives with a price point that will keep the iPhone where it is now?

I'd still be down to cop one of these without having the storage size...effectively, this is like pairing a Nano with all the other features and that's not too shabby but yeah, like most, if Apple put out an iPhone which a killer battery and iPod-like storage capabilities, I'd basically sell off my new iPod Shuffle (thanks wifey!) and 4G video iPod and just upgrade to this.

As others noted, I am very surprised that the WiFi capabilities don't include the ability to either synch/stream with iTunes. Doesn't anyone know if this is more of a DRM issue or more of a technical challenge? I have a hard time seeing it as the latter but maybe I'm missing something.

Nonetheless, my guess is that the inability to synch wirelessly is not a hardware but rather, software limitation which means that it's something Apple could hopefully "turn on" at a future point if it chooses to.

I give them a year. My friend just bought a micro SD card that is 2GB... This is about 1/5 the size of a normal SD card and it has the same capacity typical SD cards were running at about a year ago.

Plus with my work in the electronics industry, apple's advantage is they can basically dictate what they will pay for a piece of hardware because they will sell so many of them. ie. we WILL take 1% of the cellphone marketshare next year which translates to 10 million units. We will pay you x amount for these flash drives. Their price point will remain the ame or get cheaper as the storage capacity and processor speeds increase.

I think the wireless syncing is also a Security/DRM issue that may still either ahve to be worked out or else has to be agreed to by the content owners/publishers.

Anyone know what the deal is with the 3G phones in the US and why they have not been released? is it a network upgrade issue?

• One thing that I think is lacking on the phone is the 2.0megapixel camera.

Many new Japanese phones have 3.0 megapixel or greater cameras now, and that is for a phone that doesn't have as nice a viewing screen or photosoftware not to mention nowhere near the 4gb/8gb of storage on the iPhone. I am sure they will continue to upgrade it in the future, but I found it kind of surprising to go with a last generation camera on such a nice device.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    One thing that I think is lacking on the phone is the 2.0megapixel camera.

Many new Japanese phones have 3.0 megapixel or greater cameras now, and that is for a phone that doesn't have as nice a viewing screen or photosoftware not to mention nowhere near the 4gb/8gb of storage on the iPhone. I am sure they will continue to upgrade it in the future, but I found it kind of surprising to go with a last generation camera on such a nice device.

Personally, does that one megapixel REALLY make that big a difference? Unless they're about to put a Zeiss lens with 3x zoom capability plus a lowlight aperture on that sucker, I could hardly care about the difference in a single megapixel. More to the point, I wouldn't want to pay extra money for a camera phone that can't take pictures on par with a basic slim-design Casio/Sony/Nikon.

Then again, if the camera has video capabilities good enough to end racist comic careers or capture cops beating on people...that's pretty good I guess.

• Options
    the stock is up $10/share in a day and a half. get that scrilla.

I kind of want to hump Steve JobbieJob's leg right about now.

I'd get one of these doohickeys, but it's branded to Cingular in a multi-year contract and I'm a Verizon customer for 8 years now with little plans on switching. I'd have to see how durable it is too, the physical aspect of my job might destroy it.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    If you'd like a paper iPhone mockup:

free iPhone

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'd have to see how durable it is too, the physical aspect of my job might destroy it.

• Options
    I'd have to see how durable it is too, the physical aspect of my job might destroy it.

How'd you scan that poster off your wall so fast?

• stef: hoodtronics.

• $600 for a phone

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    turbo hoodtronics.

• I wonder how long it will take for them to engineer the iPhone to get to the point where it has the capacity of a normal iPod. I'm assuming it'd have to be flash-driven (vs. micro HD) and if that's the case, are they really close to putting out 30-40MB flash drives with a price point that will keep the iPhone where it is now?

Moore's law says that CPU power per $ doubles approximately every 18 months. This has been extrapolated to memory as well, and it's pretty accurate as a rule of thumb.

Often Apple make gambles like this with the understanding that economics will bring component price under control in the next year or two.

Although..... I have to say growing up with a mac IIsi (thee most _ridiculously_ stunted of the mac II family) that apple is equally guilty of artificially manipulating product lines to reflect not the cost of components but rather what the retail market can handle.

I am a big mac ran but the lack of a secondary RAM cache and upgradable video in jr. high school left me emotionally scarred

I could not run games worth two shits.

I can 99% guarantee this is a DRM issue. They could easily sync through .mac, local 802.11, or whatever, but it's just not in the cards. Record labels would have them for lunch. Y'all don't realize how many minefields Apple is treading through right now. They will likely lock down appleTV TIGHT.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    $600 for a phone