Apple iPhone hypery

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
hot or not?

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    hot, lets hope i have half a grand sitting around at the beginning of the summer.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    there is no question in my mind that in a few years we will all be using one device for all our multimedia purposes.

i am just not sure if an apple product is going to be that device.

but like most other apple products, the concept/design gets a thumbs up from me. just not a $600 thumbs up.....yet.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    not if the extended life on the battery will exponentially decrease to the point where it needs diy replacement ala other pods.

the features are hot though (scrolling shit is mad cool)

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I think it's interesting/funny that Apple went ahead and announced the iPhone when it doesn't even own the name yet.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    My friend and I were just talking about the battery life thing, he mentioned a good point---what if you can't change the battery itself without having to send it in to get repaired. You won't have YOUR phone for a few days. I mean, I could handle it---but who wants to put up with that anyway??

Otherwise, I'm pretty psyched about it---but won't be purchasing one due to the cost.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Not. I can live without an Ipod, I can live without an Iphone.

• Hot, but despite my slobbering Apple-fanboy image, I won't be able to afford one this year unless I stop buying records, which isn't going to happen.

Already have a decent phone and iPod, anyways.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    hot to death. i probably won't get one when it comes out. 8g is too limiting for me plus they need to work out all of the kinks of the first generation.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    just judging by the excitement in what I call "the cross section" of people in my life... these will be fucking huge. Scary huge. Someone said in a few years everyone will have one. I would hazard to say by the end of the year you won't be able to escape them

I just got an iriver thanks to a previous thread about MP3 players, and I couldnt be happier with the thing. I can record jams now. Iphones can't record jams. fuck a iphone

• just judging by the excitement in what I call "the cross section" of people in my life... these will be fucking huge. Scary huge. Someone said in a few years everyone will have one. I would hazard to say by the end of the year you won't be able to escape them

Yeah I was just going to say this... I have heard all TYPES of people talking about this, people who have no business owning one

Hey where's the three or four strutters who swore up and down that the MOTHERFUCKING ZUNE[/b] was gonna run schitt this year?

• Cool looking toy.
    But sign me up for the 2nd gen.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I wonder if technology is ever going to hit a plateau where already existing products cannot be "improved", combined or extended upon any longer.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    MOTHERFUCKING ZUNE[/b] was gonna run schitt this year?

Microsoft was so asshurt over the iPhone that they put out a press release before the announcement basically saying, you know, that it's really not that big of a deal. I wonder what kind of crappy name Microsoft will name their response to the iPhone, say, in three or four years.

In other news: Walgreens selling new nicotine hand gell. I am going to rub that shit all over my buddy and enjoy the best cig high of my life.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

Microsoft was so asshurt over the iPhone that they put out a press release before the announcement basically saying, you know, that it's really not that big of a deal. I wonder what kind of crappy name Microsoft will name their response to the iPhone, say, in three or four years.

not to get off subject but has anyone seen how much Windows Vista rips off Mac OS X?

here's a video of David Pogue comparing them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT6YO30GhmQ

i wonder how Microsoft doesn't get law suits thrown at them for constantly biting

• slushslush 691 Posts
    i fuckin installed vista yesterday. holy shit. what a trainwreck. at least 2 expletives are need to describe it's awefulness

nothing worked

firefox... nope
    ableton... hell no
    my pro tools driver... hahahaha

• I am going to rub that shit all over my buddy and enjoy the best cig high of my life.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    just judging by the excitement in what I call "the cross section" of people in my life... these will be fucking huge. Scary huge. Someone said in a few years everyone will have one. I would hazard to say by the end of the year you won't be able to escape them

Yeah I was just going to say this... I have heard all TYPES of people talking about this, people who have no business owning one

I would make it my business to own one.

Actually, this device is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for, I have a long but relatively mellow commute on which I drag my cell phone, iPod, and laptop--if I can squeeze almost all of that functionality into one relatively small lozenge I'm all for it. I'm sure it won't do eeeeverything I'd like it to do, for example I'm pretty sure it won't dispense soft-serve ice cream, and I'm not too thrilled about switching to Cingular. Actually, I'd be happier if they had a $400 one that lacked the phone but had everything else and a bigger hard drive (or flash or whatever).

• I'd be happy if it were a bit bigger and solved the battery and storage issues.

But yeah, I probably won't cop until my blackberry craps out and the price point comes down a bit. But if it actually can fit 20+ gigs of schitt in there, that is like my dream come true.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    i fuckin installed vista yesterday. holy shit. what a trainwreck. at least 2 expletives are need to describe it's awefulness

nothing worked

firefox... nope
    ableton... hell no
    my pro tools driver... hahahaha

My firefox and Ableton fire up no problem.

- spidey

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm not too thrilled about switching to Cingular.

You won't have to stick with them. It's a GSM phone, so more than likely u'll be able to get on any GSM network around the world. Who are you on now? Being the US, it's probably CDMA. But I know Cingular & T-Mobile are GSM.

US GSM networks

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_us.shtml

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

not to get off subject but has anyone seen how much Windows Vista rips off Mac OS X?

i wonder how Microsoft doesn't get law suits thrown at them for constantly biting

That guy was lame and unfunny. So what if Microsoft bites a few small ideas from there main competition? They've improved active desktop which they've had for years. They improved Windows search. Those are good things. You are just mac biased and disconnected from the streets. h8er.

- spidey

• I have heard all TYPES of people talking about this, people who have no business owning one

How to get a product sold, in a nutshell

That guy was lame and unfunny. So what if Microsoft bites a few small ideas from there main competition? They've improved active desktop which they've had for years. They improved Windows search. Those are good things. You are just mac biased and disconnected from the streets. h8er.

- spidey

uh, i didn't say he was funny dude. it's a video where you can see a side by side comparison and see the similiarities. and i'm not mac biased, i used a pc until i got a mac 2 months ago. pshhhhh

• Whatevs yo - you're just mad you don't have a ZUNE.

ZUNEzuneZUNE!

^
    so what is this all about?

do you guys think that the next generations of ipods will have the ability to sort through albums by the artwork?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    I was talking up the zune... and really from the people that I have seen that have a Zune they all love it more than the ipod. My whole point was that if Microsoft wants that market they will take it. I think they made their initial leap into the market, but it seems like for whatever reason they kind of marketed it sort of 1/2 assed.

The positives I have heard about Zune -

Screen size is bigger
    Screen clarity is better
    Navigation/interface is better

negatives

the actual controls feel cheap and take a bit getting used to

---

Now the iPhone is sick as hell, it looks dope and the concept is right. However after reading more about it, its not as advanced as I thought it was when Jobs was talking about it. The WiFi Autodetect is dope, but you can't stream itunes content to it, or sync it with your Computer via wifi... Both of those I thought would put it over the top. You can't share with it, and as noted, the battery issues. My only other concern with it is the touchscreen. I am assuming apple did their homework, I am just hoping that it really does work right. if it does, then that alone is going to be game changing.

As far as the price point, its right around the price of alot of similar phones, 5-600, especially when they debut so taht si not surprising. Plus its right around the price point of the original ipods when they first debuted. Overall thumbs up from initial review, but i would reserve final judgement until I could actually use the thing firsthand.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

OH SHIT...

Doesn't this dude know that XP users have been doing the so called "widget" for like EVER???
    I know its not a part of XP, but still.

One could say that Apple ripped off the Samurize development who was doing it better than anyone back in 2001. Long before it ever showed up on a Mac.

• 33 - joking a bit about the zune but that shit for real is dead in the water. I don't think they COULD take the market, I mean as you should know consumers aren't drawn to what has the better features, functions, etc they are drawn to image and brand.... neither of which Microsoft has at the moment.

as for the beaming, well the beam capability on the zune was a joke... I think Jobs probably sidestepped that one because there's no real way to pull it off.

OH SHIT...

Doesn't this dude know that XP users have been doing the so called "widget" for like EVER???
    I know its not a part of XP, but still.

expound please? i used windows xp for years and i've never noticed anything close to that

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    33 - joking a bit about the zune but that shit for real is dead in the water. I don't think they COULD take the market, I mean as you should know consumers aren't drawn to what has the better features, functions, etc they are drawn to image and brand.... neither of which Microsoft has at the moment.

as for the beaming, well the beam capability on the zune was a joke... I think Jobs probably sidestepped that one because there's no real way to pull it off.

Oh I agree... Microsoft didn't get it with the zune on the image side. As soon as I saw the crappy marketing for it, I knew it was dead in the water. However, they have been creeping into people's hands at least in the LA area. I had some people in the shop come in with them and I asked them why they bought them over an ipod, mainly because I hadn't seen them around much, and the reasons I noted above were the reasons they gave consistently. Oh that and the price point is cheaper.

I have pretty much counted zune out for this round, but if Microsoft is serious about it, then it would not surprise me if the next version is that next level.

In any event, I am glad apple dropped the iphone, the stock is up $10/share in a day and a half. get that scrilla.