who's coping APPL, get your day trade on

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    My thoughts exactly--shaping up to be the Titanic of cellphones.

I really doubt that. For a lot of people grabbing your iPod and cellphone in the morning is like putting on pants. Combining the cell/iPod is long overdue. Keep in mind that cellphone companies probably want the iPod market as much of Job's wants the cellphone market. They'll find a common ground. Too much money for either side to miss out on.

Also keep in mind that the combination of the two allows people to browse and download music wirelessly.

Hey, Ferrari. Since you have your ear to the ground for tech news what's going on with Google hooking up SF with Wifi?

• And by the time you DL a song wirelessly, text your friends, listen to some songs, and watch a few clips, your battery will have run out. Unless the phone is secondary to all of the traditional features of an iPod--A/V--I just don't see this thing taking off like the Chocolate has.

I want this thing to work, too, but I think that the Chocolate has it for now.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    My thoughts exactly--shaping up to be the Titanic of cellphones.

I really doubt that. For a lot of people grabbing your iPod and cellphone in the morning is like putting on pants. Combining the cell/iPod is long overdue. Keep in mind that cellphone companies probably want the iPod market as much of Job's wants the cellphone market. They'll find a common ground. Too much money for either side to miss out on.

Also keep in mind that the combination of the two allows people to browse and download music wirelessly.

The thing is, will Apple be ready to get into the crazy world of cell phone subsidies? And if they do, they better be ready for taking a beating.

• New target is $125-$150.

iPhone doesn't even come out until June, either! Man, I need payday to arrive, ASAP!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Hey, Ferrari. Since you have your ear to the ground for tech news what's going on with Google hooking up SF with Wifi?

Dunno... I don't follow promises made over a year ago. It's not too technically difficult a concept. Maybe they shouldn't have chosen EarthLink as their partner in the endeavor. That or Newsom doesn't need it as a PR fluff piece anymore

New target is $125-$150.

iPhone doesn't even come out until June, either! Man, I need payday to arrive, ASAP!

Christ, I'm focusing all my money on paying off debt now. I need to crunch some numbers and see which is a more effective way of spending my money.

• Here's my thing about the iPhone... It's going to run OS X. Let's pretend for a minute that I had interest in an iPhone (I don't), but I'm a PC user. What's my incentive to buy an iPhone? First off, it runs OS X and I'm not used to the Mac OS at all. Second, there's presumably no way for it to interface with my home PC. If I have a phone running Windows Mobile or even Palm OS I can get applications off the internet and run them on my phone, or I can transfer files off my computer onto my phone. With the iPhone running OS X presumably I can't do these things with my phone. That'd be a real pisser for me as a PC user. Am I wrong in assuming this would be the case?

Not like it matters to me anyhow since my phone is through Sprint, I guess.

• http://www.apple.com/iphone/

The videos make it look pretty impressive. Running OSX and Safari, with a multi-touch interface is definitely .

But...
    I'm real curious as to what the battery life is gonna be.
    8 GB is pretty lame. You're telling me they can't cram a 30 gig drive in there?
    And you know that screen is gonna get fucked up real quick with your greasy ass finger and earprints. Better hope it doesn't scratch as easy as the iPod screens.

v2 of this thing should be awesome. But the first batch is basically going to be a status symbol.

• Here's my thing about the iPhone... It's going to run OS X. Let's pretend for a minute that I had interest in an iPhone (I don't), but I'm a PC user. What's my incentive to buy an iPhone?

You can just flip this the other way around for Mac users...I currently run everything through my iBook, however Nokia (Who make he best phones IMO) don't offer any kind of Mac support for their phones, I just put up with it, putting all the info i need in throught the tiny keypad...

When the iPhone is available in the UK I will be straight to the store to pick one up...Infact I will probably delay taking out a new contract until these are out there...

• Here's my thing about the iPhone... It's going to run OS X. Let's pretend for a minute that I had interest in an iPhone (I don't), but I'm a PC user. What's my incentive to buy an iPhone?

You can just flip this the other way around for Mac users...I currently run everything through my iBook, however Nokia (Who make he best phones IMO) don't offer any kind of Mac support for their phones, I just put up with it, putting all the info i need in throught the tiny keypad...

When the iPhone is available in the UK I will be straight to the store to pick one up...Infact I will probably delay taking out a new contract until these are out there...

Sure you can flip it the other way. Difference is, the majority of computers run non-Mac OSes so obviously there's more importance in Apple somehow making this thing appeal to non-Mac users because that's the only way they get more market share. I know there's people who use PCs who'll buy an iPhone because they have no intention of bothering to hook their phone up to their computer at all, and that's fine, but there's still ton of people who don't fit that profile.

I also have internal debate about whether or not a phone that's completely touch-screen and doesn't have any physical buttons is a great idea. Plus, as has already been mentioned, with the iPod they kind of revolutionized an area that was more or less unchartered waters. With the iPhone they're delving into an area that already has a lot of devices that people swear by. There are people who swear by Motorola devices, Nokia devices, etc. It's going to take a whole lot of incentive to get people partial to other brands to switch because there's plenty of extremely good phones already out there.

• Eh, iTunes runs on both Mac and PC, I don't see why they wouldn't make similar software for syncing the iPhone.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• Blackberry (RIMM) went down 11 points today.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    It could well be another Newton.

It's a cool gadget but I'd avoid buying the first version, as they notorious for faults. I also forsee the touch panels becoming very buggy very quickly. This will be interesting to see what happens.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    It could well be another Newton.

There could never be another newton...

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Here's my thing about the iPhone... It's going to run OS X. Let's pretend for a minute that I had interest in an iPhone (I don't), but I'm a PC user. What's my incentive to buy an iPhone? First off, it runs OS X and I'm not used to the Mac OS at all. Second, there's presumably no way for it to interface with my home PC. If I have a phone running Windows Mobile or even Palm OS I can get applications off the internet and run them on my phone, or I can transfer files off my computer onto my phone. With the iPhone running OS X presumably I can't do these things with my phone. That'd be a real pisser for me as a PC user. Am I wrong in assuming this would be the case?

Perfect solution: Give your PC a swift kick into the garbage disposal and buy a Mac.

PC= Pieso Chitt

< so angry at my PC right now for deleting nearly 60 GB of data without me being able to prevent it

PC = (speaking from a musicians point of view , and the interface sucks , oh and the endless viruses....etc)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    watch the iphone demos. this shit is the real deal.

HOLY FUCK. This is truly NEXT SHIT. You don't think this will sell to the Haves? The iPod was a slow burn that's still raging - to mix metaphors, Money froze it and the thing avalanched. By the time iPhone2 hits, the folks that couldn't have afforded the initial iPhone can buy it for less (and by then - just like the iPod's rollout - for a PC platform). This makes Chocolate look rather Baby-Ruth-in-the-swimming-pool. Perhaps vaporware for the moment, but certainly not in a year.

The XBox and PS3 were pretty expensive, too. And look what happened.

Their site is blowing up right now. I love how the Widgets subscreen shows AAPL's stock up.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    i thought there were big problems with the video ipods, and everybody I know that has a Mac is always having problems. I don't really know because I use a PC (obviously - I am a republican). But its all just slick advertising and hype if you ask me. The stock took a big hit, investors will pump it up until they make back some money and then dump it and you aunt tillies will be holding the bag.

I heard that Drew Carey killed a guy and paid to cover it up.

link

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    woah

earlier in this post i said "this isn't such a big deal"

that fucking iPhone is all types of hot right about now.

I am a GEEK and proud of it.

• The iphone is waay skinnier than a Razr - shit's going to be super fragile. They should sell wrist tethers with it because one drop will be the end of it. Looks like a great product, though - more hype than I can recall over a Apple product launch in a long ass time -- I bought my stock at $12.50 a looong time ago.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Here's my thing about the iPhone... It's going to run OS X. Let's pretend for a minute that I had interest in an iPhone (I don't), but I'm a PC user. What's my incentive to buy an iPhone? First off, it runs OS X and I'm not used to the Mac OS at all. Second, there's presumably no way for it to interface with my home PC. If I have a phone running Windows Mobile or even Palm OS I can get applications off the internet and run them on my phone, or I can transfer files off my computer onto my phone. With the iPhone running OS X presumably I can't do these things with my phone. That'd be a real pisser for me as a PC user. Am I wrong in assuming this would be the case?

Perfect solution: Give your PC a swift kick into the garbage disposal and buy a Mac.

PC= Pieso Chitt

< so angry at my PC right now for deleting nearly 60 GB of data without me being able to prevent it

PC = (speaking from a musicians point of view , and the interface sucks , oh and the endless viruses....etc)

For the love of God, don't turn this into a Mac vs PC debate. It's so tired.

• Perfect solution: Give your PC a swift kick into the garbage disposal and buy a Mac.

Considering I just upgraded my machine to a dual core processor...no thanks. That, and I actually like PCs. Just my own personal druthers. Been using PCs for 20 years now, don't see any need to change. Anyhoo... Not trying to turn this into a Mac vs. PC debate.

This is from engadget.com, kind of a rundown of just what the iPhone is and isn't. This thing will appeal to a number of people, I suppose, but it's not going to appeal to the hardcore geek who wants a lot of options on his phone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The iPhone is not a smartphone

And the reality slowly sets in about what the iPhone is and is not. Noted analyst and Engadget pal Michael Gartenberg stated that the iPhone is first party software ONLY -- i.e. not a smartphone by conventional terms, being that a smartphone is a platform device that allows software to be installed. That means hungry power-users -- you know, those people ready and willing to plunk down $600 for an 8GB musicphone -- won't be able to extend the functionality of their phone any more than Apple (but thankfully not Cingular) dictates. Other unfortunate realities about the device:

* No 3G. We know you know, but still, it hurts man.
    * No over the air iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine.
    * No expandable memory.
    * No removable battery.
    * No Exchange or Office support.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, I can see the iPhone appealing to more casual users but the hardcore geeky business-oriented buyer might be a bit turned off to it. The last bulleted point up there can be a bit of a big deal considering a lot of people have no choice but to check their mail via an Exchange server, and things like Word documents and Excel spreadsheets are almost defacto standards in the business world.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    are people really working on their office/excel documents on a smartphone? On a tiny screen w/ a thumb plastic keyboard? Personally, that's what I use a laptop for.

3g smeeG, that's just geeks getting hung up over the NEWNESS. Apple went w/ the reliable established network for compatibility. I'm happy w/ their choice. Do you really need a 3G phone, or does it just sound cool to have? Most likely the latter.

I'm speaking from my own experience, what I'm looking for is a phone w/ tight integration w/ my address book. This phone hands down destroys the competition in that department. I don't even care about the video player or ipod, it's the phone/sms/email intergration that has me geeked.

so it's a good fit for me, might not be a good fit for you.

no removable battery is definitely NAGL, but that shouldn't surprise anybody since this is apple we're talking about. They're all about slim design, they would never bulk up a unit to house a swappable battery. Sad but true.

• Why couldn't they edit MS docs on it eventually, given the right software?

A version of openoffice for it doesn't seem out of the question, if not MS proper.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    yup they sure can, it is os x based after all so i can't imagine it being hard to port a version over.

people are just looking for things to nitpick, per usual. Plus it's not coming out for another 6 months so you can be sure more stuff will be added.

• Apple stock is a stock to hold on to. They've incorporated and are taking on the Television/Movie download industry. You're nuts to think the stock won't reach qualcomm status by 2010.
    The Apple 50" HDTV will be released by the end of the year. It's a whole new company with the release of iTV. the iPhone is just icing on the cake.

Small time ballers, sell your stock and make a quick grand. real ballers = hold on to 200/300 of those shares for another 5 years and retire nice.

• yup they sure can, it is os x based after all so i can't imagine it being hard to port a version over.

people are just looking for things to nitpick, per usual. Plus it's not coming out for another 6 months so you can be sure more stuff will be added.

Yeah.... I mean, who buys a cellphone and says, "hey you know what, I'd really prefer if this didn't come with an operating system." That is expert user territory, a few % of the market at best. It sounds like these critics are looking for the iPhone to be another pocket PC. Few who will buy this cares about installing their own operating system. What they will want it to have is a smooth, seamless integration of all other PDA like features.

I mean, what more functionality do you want from the OSX (lite) platform complete with widgets? As soon as they turn info/API over to developers you'll have more widgets and software you can handle.

That all said, I'll be waiting for version 2. I just shelled out a few hundred bucks for a new cellphone and have an iPod that will be good for another few years - plus I just don't need to use things like google maps 24/7 on the go. Ah well, it's back to printing mapquest directions up, using em, then wadding them up and stick em under the seat like all the normal chumps.

• I've been living with the Treo 650 for 2 years. And the last 6 months have brought nothing but problems.
    Poor syncing with my mac, slow browsing, now the key functions don't work. whatthefuck?!
    Everyone I know or have met that has this phone hates it.
    At first I couldn't justify the iphone because I already have ipod and a cell phone, but it looks like I'll be getting the iphone when it comes out. Mainly because of it's tight intergration with my address book, calander, email, itunes, etc. etc.
    And I do agree, Gen. 2 will be a much better phone. But this will do for now.

• I'm not here to be anyone's stock broker, but just something to think about for those holding or buying Apple shares.

Remember that Apple is currently growing the fastest out of all laptop makers. Also please remember that the laptop segment is the fastest growing segment of computer hardware.

The new version of Mac OSX, which officially supports and includes a final version of Boot Camp (let's you run Microsfot WIndows on Macs, drops sometime around Spring. This is where I think they are going to win a huge # of new customers if it is marketed right, and when doesn't Apple market effectively?

This is the time when I am waiting to even think about selling. Also the fact that they are the fastest growing music reseller is pretty crazy. They have a lock or nice market share on a # of volatile industries, and all of their products work together with their other hardware.

It's stupid to get into a mac vs. pc debate because people posting on Soulstrut is not the typical consumer, but then again we still buy analolg records. However, you better believe that people have switched to an Apple Laptop or Desktop because of buying an iPod (I know several personally). Do you think these people aren't going to get the phone as well?

Anyway, looks like I'll have to wait to 2008 to get my hands on an iPhone in Tokyo