the invaders, "spacing out"

gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
edited April 2016 in Music Talk
I haven't heard this one mentioned in a long time. I forget, are there any strutters that have an OG copy? I am listening to the reissue right now and I forget how good this sheeeeeeeit is.

Comments

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

a dollarbin find!

• Upskiboo

Dress

• a dollarbin find!

WOW...

Does the OG also sound like it was recorded in a cave?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    a dollarbin find!

i think im more jealous of you than of any person ive ever been jealous of.

this is one of my favorite albums EVER

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    i have the reish and it is godhead
    is gravelheadwrap a cousin of tonearmrobbery or handcorkscrew?

• Does the OG also sound like it was recorded in a cave?

Prehistoric funk. Get familiar!@#!!!

Unfortunately the reverb is how it was recorded, not the pressing.

I'm not a big fan myself (no offense ako) but loads of people dig it.

Handcorkscrew will have no gravelheadwrap!!

• get familiar!

• Echoplex is fine..... I mean I love tasteful overload a la

but I'm just not a fan of tepid funk covers with an overenthusiastic audio engineer who feels a need to hard pan and/or reverb and/or delay on absolutely everything for no reason.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    tepid funk

BAN!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    only one week into 07 and already the first invaders thread...daamn!

the 3 most talked about records on ss:

1- stark reality
    2- boscoe
    3- invaders

ok i told this story a 1000 times, so heres the short version...

yes i found a unplayed og copy for a buck
    at the time i was mostly into JB barry white bob james meters, it had a look a py py(meters) version so i bought it

couple years later i found a second og copy, i liked the record and figured there were some cool parts for practicing cutback so i could use two so i bought the second one (also for a buck)

i did alot of cutting back then, fortunately i never got around to using the invaders live so the vinyls stayed clean

i had no idear what the shit was worth

some years later i gave my second copy to a friend as a gift

still not even knowing it was reished i sampled it for a track on a record i did for a graffiti soundtrack

after that i found out it was reissued.... and after that i found out that the og was raer and valuable

i didnt really care bout that though, for me it was just the music that mattered and this joint is f*cking amazing!!!!!!!!

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    Echoplex is fine..... I mean I love tasteful overload a la

holy fuk i just found this at a flea for a buck
    what a shockingly perfect random amazing 90s slab
    i can't hype this enough
    is this like well known or coveted and i don't mean money just the sound
    it reminded me of mbv's loveless yet not in a bite-full way
    manzinga rules

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Cool Chris been unloading grails lately.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

Cool Chris been unloading grails for years

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Go Reynaldo!

Aren't you already in the superstarklub - open exclussively to SR OG owners?

• tepid funk

BAN!

Ugh yah that was a grumpy reply.

Upskiboo is the man and we have extremely similar tastes in a lot of music. SO actually it is good we differ on the key INVADERS SPACING OUT issue. Otherwise people might mistake us for the same person and we would get electronic jazz kosmigroov overlap.

• yes i found a unplayed og copy for a buck
    at the time i was mostly into JB barry white bob james meters, it had a look a py py(meters) version so i bought it

couple years later i found a second og copy, i liked the record and figured there were some cool parts for practicing cutback so i could use two so i bought the second one (also for a buck)

i did alot of cutting back then, fortunately i never got around to using the invaders live so the vinyls stayed clean

i had no idear what the shit was worth

It kinda escapes me how you could miss the point of the record. It definitely 'sounds' like an expensive album. I'm still baffled by people who are absolutely unconcerned about the value of a record. It's like winning the jackpot in the lottery and not picking up the money. Thinking it's cool enough that you guessed the right numbers...

It's like finding an original of the Roy Porter Inner Feelings LP and thinking that it's just another nice Jazz Funk record. I mean, you can almost hear the 300 USD it is worth...

So I know of 5 original Invaders LPs that were found in the middle of Europe for less than 20 Euros a piece...

how come i never found any good record for less than 5 bucks in my whole life?!?!?!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    i had no idear what the shit was worth.

It kinda escapes me how you could miss the point of the record. It definitely 'sounds' like an expensive album. I'm still baffled by people who are absolutely unconcerned about the value of a record. It's like winning the jackpot in the lottery and not picking up the money. Thinking it's cool enough that you guessed the right numbers...

It's like finding an original of the Roy Porter Inner Feelings LP and thinking that it's just another nice Jazz Funk record. I mean, you can almost hear the 300 USD it is worth...

Grope, you have to remember that this was way back in the early 90s, before Egay internet collectro hype. Record nerds didn't have the same access to worldwide info on this or that record. And frankly, we didn't really care about value. I mean, we had some notion of rarity, but the whole dealer/investment aspect was just non-existant because there wasn't really a "market" to think of besides local record stores and the occasional fairs. And the prices just weren't the same back then.

So the market value is the "point" of the record? Well, I can understand that sentiment if it's a piece of music you don't particularly care for, but if it's something you really dig, the point should be the music itself IMO. Upskiboo gave me his Invaders double as a housewarming gift when I moved into my second apartment in '95. He even gave me the cleaner copy (the one without cutback stickers on the label, ). I was stoked, not because I was thinking about its potential value, but because I had listened to it several times at his house and thought it was a fantastic record.

I'm not stupid, and of course there's no reason to sell yourself short if you're in a business situation, but there's a certain beauty to that blissfully unaware state of mind. At least among friends. I can't stand when people who know each other well get all worked up over the value of physical items. It's ugly. And what if Upskiboo had cut up those two copies on the turntables, thus decreasing their state/value? In the bigger scheme of things, who cares? Easy come, easy go.

Anyway, I hear what you're saying, but the bottom line is that it was a different time back then.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    I don't know how many years ago this was, but I was with Attic at a Toronto Record show and he pulled out 4 unplayed copies @ $1 each. Two strutters got copies from Attic (I can verify this story, even though this all happened well before Soulstrut existed), and I was offered one for free. Turned it down because the record is shit in my eyes. I'm not saying my opinion is right, but to me the record blows. I don't care about 'value', I collect music, and I didn't feel like holding a record that had value only because it was rare...so I turned it down. I have never regreted it. If I would have kept it, I would have sold it by now and given the money back to Attic anyhow.

To answer the question of 'why not keep a record of value, it's like not cashing in a lottery ticket', well I'm a fan of music. I'm not a dealer, or a person trying to make $$ because Ebay now exists. That's why record prices are through the roof. People forgot the reason to collect lp's in the first place is for the music. Ya, I know. I sound like a bitch right now, but really I've given away many rare lp's to friends and visa vera. What do I look like selling an lp my boy wants, and I dig with him? I've given away everything from Mint copies of Pacheo and the Latin Soul Brothers (Superfly, and oddly enough this person also got a copy of Invaders for free from Attic) to Power of Zues to Bill Clint to Ramp (sealed). If my boy wants it, that's was more important then some quick $$.

It comes back around too. I didn't have to pay for my 24 Karat Blacks, my Ugly Ducklings, my Strollers lp and plenty more OG's. And no, these weren't 'trades'. Whenever ____ comes to Toronto I pretty much let him take at least 1 lp (anything) from my Soul Section, and I don't expect anything in return.

Share the love man....lol

• I don't know how many years ago this was, but I was with Attic at a Toronto Record show and he pulled out 4 unplayed copies @ $1 each. Two strutters got copies from Attic (I can verify this story, even though this all happened well before Soulstrut existed), and I was offered one for free. Turned it down because the record is shit in my eyes. I'm not saying my opinion is right, but to me the record blows. I don't care about 'value', I collect music, and I didn't feel like holding a record that had value only because it was rare...so I turned it down. I have never regreted it. If I would have kept it, I would have sold it by now and given the money back to Attic anyhow.

To answer the question of 'why not keep a record of value, it's like not cashing in a lottery ticket', well I'm a fan of music. I'm not a dealer, or a person trying to make $$ because Ebay now exists. That's why record prices are through the roof. People forgot the reason to collect lp's in the first place is for the music. Ya, I know. I sound like a bitch right now, but really I've given away many rare lp's to friends and visa vera. What do I look like selling an lp my boy wants, and I dig with him? I've given away everything from Mint copies of Pacheo and the Latin Soul Brothers (Superfly, and oddly enough this person also got a copy of Invaders for free from Attic) to Power of Zues to Bill Clint to Ramp (sealed). If my boy wants it, that's was more important then some quick $$.

It comes back around too. I didn't have to pay for my 24 Karat Blacks, my Ugly Ducklings, my Strollers lp and plenty more OG's. And no, these weren't 'trades'. Whenever ____ comes to Toronto I pretty much let him take at least 1 lp (anything) from my Soul Section, and I don't expect anything in return.

This is real talk.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I don't know how many years ago this was, but I was with Attic at a Toronto Record show and he pulled out 4 unplayed copies @ $1 each. Two strutters got copies from Attic (I can verify this story, even though this all happened well before Soulstrut existed), and I was offered one for free. Turned it down because the record is shit in my eyes. I'm not saying my opinion is right, but to me the record blows. I don't care about 'value', I collect music, and I didn't feel like holding a record that had value only because it was rare...so I turned it down. I have never regreted it. If I would have kept it, I would have sold it by now and given the money back to Attic anyhow.

I usaully just lurk but this post is and really

holy fuk i just found this at a flea for a buck
    what a shockingly perfect random amazing 90s slab
    i can't hype this enough
    is this like well known or coveted and i don't mean money just the sound
    it reminded me of mbv's loveless yet not in a bite-full way
    manzinga rules

I was just clowin' around...saw that C*ad had posted right then, so I thought I would throw up my own album, as I used a shit ton of echo all over my guitar on that album. Glad you like it though!

• I don't know how many years ago this was, but I was with Attic at a Toronto Record show and he pulled out 4 unplayed copies @ $1 each. Two strutters got copies from Attic (I can verify this story, even though this all happened well before Soulstrut existed), and I was offered one for free. Turned it down because the record is shit in my eyes. I'm not saying my opinion is right, but to me the record blows. I don't care about 'value', I collect music, and I didn't feel like holding a record that had value only because it was rare...so I turned it down. I have never regreted it. If I would have kept it, I would have sold it by now and given the money back to Attic anyhow.

i totally understand and agree with you, but if you like music so much, why didn't you just take the invaders lp for free?
    i mean, i don't like the record thaaaat much, but no doubt, i'd take it for free!!! i even would have traded a big record for it in the early 90s. cause it's not bad music at all. those people could play. at least to some degree, it's still a superb, far from overrated record.

i agree with you. i'm telling my close friends everything about records i know. i let them buy lots of stuff. i gave away free records to my friends. but so far, kool & the gang live at the pjs was the most priciest i let go for free. honestly, i would NEVER give away an invaders copy for free. i'd trade it though. i'm not after the money, but records are definitely worth sth to me. always.

giving away an invaders copy for free (no matter when and where) is just totally crazy to me. it's a totally awesome move. really big-dude-ish. and i mean that, it's great! but it's also breathtaking, jawdropping, facemelting and heartattackproducing. it sounds so surreal to me. like giving away a picasso for free. or not cashing in a lottery ticket. LOL

but yeah, maybe it's just because i never find any good records for cheap. i was looking for records in the early 90s, but until now, i was hardly ever lucky at flea markets or record shows. i can't think of any holy grail that i found for cheap. so records are always something pricey to me. like rare books or art.

ok i told this story a 1000 times, so heres the short version...

wheretf you live, mange? 2 copies in 2 yrs? you holdin it down in bermuda or barbados or wherever the ish is from? please to tell the details, cause imhmfo if you're gonna lay down beaucoup dollah for a funk LP, this is what it should sound like. maybe there isn't enough flexitone and/or shaker plunk on it for ol ashkrock but "tepid?" c'mon!

PS.. Eric's alb*m is the shit btw. Dudes should get familiarizized. I raved about it in my ISH I contributed to this site about 8 yrs ago or so.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

1- stark reality
    2- boscoe
    3- invaders

Okay, I think the most important question here is.......

Does anyone own all three?

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

if you're gonna lay down beaucoup dollah for a funk LP, this is what it should sound like.

Co-fucking-sign!!!

It may be essentially an album of covers, but the Invaders understood how to make good funk music, and that's something you can't say about a lot of other obscure "funk" albums (e.g. 47 Times it's Own Weight, Hilton Felton, Quintessence etc.). Case in point is the title track, which has to be one of hardest original funk compositions on any album EVAR!

Depending on your taste for echoplex you may or may not be into the way the album was recorded, but there's no denying that the record sounds unlike any other on the planet.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

1- stark reality
    2- boscoe
    3- invaders

Okay, I think the most important question here is.......

Does anyone own all three?

I'm sure there are multiple people on this board.

"funk"

47 Times it's Own Weight, Hilton Felton, Quintessence

you did put the genre in quotes but 47x and Quinterdessence ain't funk LPs and in my mind ain't even close to being in the same league. 47x might as well be prog. Don't know Hilton Felton tho :littledudealert!:

• "funk"

47 Times it's Own Weight, Hilton Felton, Quintessence

you did put the genre in quotes but 47x and Quinterdessence ain't funk LPs and in my mind ain't even close to being in the same league. 47x might as well be prog. Don't know Hilton Felton tho :littledudealert!:

TEPID FUNK

too smoove...like a poor man's Bob James, or a dude with too much money for raers' Bob James more specifically