Expedit 2x4 sideways?

2»

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yeah, I've got two 2X4's, one oriented vertical and one horizontal. The vertical one actually seems less stable.

• Options
    i have a very similar setup to this, although not with the EXPEDIT system, but fl??tott`s "freddy" system. a much better concept, as you can rebuild the shelf at any time, but much more expensive.
    you can arrange the boxes in any way you can think of and also completly undo the
    shelf without destroying it. a clever system if you are moving a lot.
    this shit rocks:

I also have an expedit, but its arranged in the classical 2x4 way, so i cant tell if its solid.

Where can I find the flotott?

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

• 1manband1manband 34 Posts

Apparently it works..It seems stable and it's still empty..It's quite monumental but i didn't have any other chances due to lack of space..

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

Apparently it works..It seems stable and it's still empty..It's quite monumental but i didn't have any other chances due to lack of space..
    the issue with something like this is that your house might not take all that weight very well.... I don't know about you but I live in a pretty old house , about 100 years old) and I just don't tend to trust these kinds of structures that much...

• 1manband1manband 34 Posts

the issue with something like this is that your house might not take all that weight very well.... I don't know about you but I live in a pretty old house , about 100 years old) and I just don't tend to trust these kinds of structures that much...

I didn't think about that issue but i live in a quite modern building so i don't think that could be a real problem(i hope so).thanks for the advice anyway

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Has anyone stacked two expedits (4x4) on top of each other, bolted to the wall? Thinking of doing that. Death by records in the making?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121check this insanity:
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121b,121b,121has anyone tried the double ikea 4x4 stack?b,121i may need to do this in the near future but i need to know what needs to be done

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    2x4 on the side is that fresssshhh shit!

• wow that German apartment setup is nice

• I have two expedits laid on their side in an L shape and I keep my decks, laptop, speakers, keyboard and monitor (for the other comp) on top. I have another shelf for the rest of my records but the dual 2x4 ikeas have worked like a charm.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I have one of the 2X4 joints, and the problem I'm having is that I have some molding that goes around the perimeter of room, so the back of the shelf doesn't sit flush with the wall. So there's a space of a few inches where you can push the records farther back and they hang slightly off the back of the shelf when you're putting records back, which can get annoying. Has anyone gotten around to bolting/screwing/nailing a back to their Expedit to solve this, or put some other solution in place?

• I just don't push my records back.b,121b,121Problem solvedb,121b,121b,121b,121I actually like the space in back, allows for cords and stuff.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I just don't push
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121you must not party

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I have one of the 2X4 joints, and the problem I'm having is that I have some molding that goes around the perimeter of room, so the back of the shelf doesn't sit flush with the wall. So there's a space of a few inches where you can push the records farther back and they hang slightly off the back of the shelf when you're putting records back, which can get annoying. Has anyone gotten around to bolting/screwing/nailing a back to their Expedit to solve this, or put some other solution in place?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121i have a couple of empty boxes(that were never made into boxes) behind mine and it works ok.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Don't even front like thats a legit Eames!b,121b,121Is the leather on that yellowish green? What did you pay for it? I got a nice knock-off for $250 -- wondering if that's a good price.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    b,121Don't even front like thats a legit Eames!
    b,121
    b,121Is the leather on that yellowish green? What did you pay for it? I got a nice knock-off for $250 -- wondering if that's a good price.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Not original Eames. But, they are from the late 70s to early 80s. They might be PlyCraft or even Plummers. The leather is yellowish/brownish/greenish and soft as hell after a lot of conditioning. My girl's dad has a storage unit with his old crap in it. They were in there with a nice pair of Celestion book-shelf speakers I also nabbed. Dads have cool stuff.b,121b,121I think the comfort alone is worth $250. Plus they look good.