Expedit 2x4 sideways?

SensiRiderSensiRider 97 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
Good afternoon.Has anybody arranged their 2x4 expedit sideways (2 high, 4 across)? I looked at one in a store and for the cubes it had a single long shelf running the long length and then three small pieces perpendicular on both sides of the long shelf. So to turn it sideways seemed like a shaky shelf situation. Does anybody keep one like this? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• STEADY AS A ROCK

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Yeah,

I got one thats just waiting for my new TV to go on top of it.

• nice, thanks.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

STEADY AS A ROCK

I'm amazed how clean some of you people are. I'm a messy motherfucker.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

STEADY AS A ROCK

I'm amazed how clean some of you people are. I'm a messy motherfucker.

Man, I was just about to say the exact same thing.

I give you exhibit A, Expedit #1

• I'm amazed how clean some of you people are. I'm a messy motherfucker.

Key thing is to clean before you have the picture taken Also I just got the apartment a few months before that and really didn??t have that much stuff PLUS i collect 45s = you will have enough space to live

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    When you put the 2X4 sideways the shelves aren't as strong as the usually are. In the normal orientation, the shelves are one long piece that rest on the vertical supports. When you turn it, you end up putting the records on the vertical supports which are supported only by two wooden pegs.

That hasn't proven to be a problem at all on mine, though it may over time. I wouldn't worry too much but I thought I'd mention it.

• When you turn it, you end up putting the records on the vertical supports which are supported only by two wooden pegs.

Yeah, that's what I was looking at. Do you keep records on it like that?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    When you turn it, you end up putting the records on the vertical supports which are supported only by two wooden pegs.

Yeah, that's what I was looking at. Do you keep records on it like that?

Unfortunately, you have no choice with the shelves they give you. You could take one of the long shelves from a 4X4 expedit and re-orient everything ... though I don't think they sell the shelves seperately. However, it is still very sturdy. I've had mine set up that way for six months or so and haven't had a problem.

I'm surprised they didn't build it to be set up sideways ... it works perfectly for storing stereo equipment, etc.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Yo, I'm gonna get one of these 2x4s and lay it sideways. Any of you dudes with this alignment see any sinking at the bottom after a while? I'm thinking, perhaps I could put something underneath to give it more support.

• When you put the 2X4 sideways the shelves aren't as strong as the usually are. In the normal orientation, the shelves are one long piece that rest on the vertical supports. When you turn it, you end up putting the records on the vertical supports which are supported only by two wooden pegs.

That hasn't proven to be a problem at all on mine, though it may over time. I wouldn't worry too much but I thought I'd mention it.

Putting a back on the expedit may help this; i built some shelves a few years back to hold books and records, and it started to get a little creaky after time. a carpenter friend said to just get a thin piece of ply wood, and use tacks to put it on the back, and that would help.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Has anyone stacked two expedits (4x4) on top of each other, bolted to the wall? Thinking of doing that. Death by records in the making?

• STEADY AS A ROCK

I'm just curious if you guys always put records on display in your shelves like this? Or do you just pull out some raers for photo ops?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

STEADY AS A ROCK

I'm just curious if you guys always put records on display in your shelves like this? Or do you just pull out some raers for photo ops?

i keep records facing out like that on the lower shelves because it keeps the cats from scratching spines.

i also have the 2x4 and love it - and yes, steady as a rock - have turntable, speaker and large plant on it with no problems.

• i keep records facing out like that on the lower shelves because it keeps the cats from scratching spines.

I need to start doing that, but then again, I just keep my cat out of my record room unless I'm supervising.

• i keep records facing out like that on the lower shelves because it keeps the cats from scratching spines.

I need to start doing that, but then again, I just keep my cat out of my record room unless I'm supervising.
    luckily my cat has never done that, he does however run up the sides of my ivars to get to the top of the shelves. i put crap records on the outsides for this very reason.that is also why that cd rack is there. the scratcher at the bottom is a good deterent. i keep my bedroom door closed while im away from home, whenever i come home and open the door miles runs in and scratchs that thing even though he has one just like it in better condition out in the living room where he stays all day.

i just bought 2 of those 2x4 expedits, both are sideways, one in the living room has my tv on top of it and the other is in my bedroom. the one in my bedroom has my old tabletop that used to be on cinderblocks on top of the expedit, it has my 2-1200s, mixer, harddisk recorder, 45s, and other crap on top of it.
    no pics yet.

• Where is a good place to purchase these? Home Depot? Lowe's? I just moved & need to conserve some space...

Where is a good place to purchase these? Home Depot? Lowe's? I just moved & need to conserve some space...

they are IKEA shelves, smaller version of the 4x4 and 5x5. i got mine in the summer and i'm in Toronto, so not sure if they are still in stock where you are - check their site.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    how records usually fit in each space?

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Has anyone stacked two expedits (4x4) on top of each other, bolted to the wall? Thinking of doing that. Death by records in the making?

As long as they are securely bolted into the studs on the wall I would think it should be ok ... but you'll need a serious ladder with those ill wheels on it to go back and forth.

however this entire idea could be as well as

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    if you wanted to put the 2x4 expedit on its side you'd have to put the ugly base of it against a wall unless you want to expose it out in the open. anybody try returning the base for a top piece at the store?

• 1manband1manband 34 Posts

Almost same here,but with a 2x4 upon my 4x4..Anyone tried this? ?
    Thanks

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    This may have been already posted but

This would be a project worth doing and combines the expedit with another piece of ikea furniture to make a pretty happening setup
    Full instructions here

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i have a very similar setup to this, although not with the EXPEDIT system, but fl??tott`s "freddy" system. a much better concept, as you can rebuild the shelf at any time, but much more expensive.
    you can arrange the boxes in any way you can think of and also completly undo the
    shelf without destroying it. a clever system if you are moving a lot.
    this shit rocks:

I also have an expedit, but its arranged in the classical 2x4 way, so i cant tell if its solid.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Thanks

I don't think it sounds particularly stable but keep in mind: I have 7ft high Ivar bookcases and best believe those things will buckle like matchsticks in an earthquake given how little internal stability it really has. So to that degree, the Expedits stacked - if bolted well - probably wouldn't be any worse off.

Thanks

You're going to mount that on a wall? What the hell are your walls made of?!

Maybe it's cause I have ill-behaved scratchy cats or cause I'm lazy or both, but the bottom shelves are usless to me - not so much with the 2x4, but definitely with the 4x4 and the Billy shelves from a few years ago. I never go for anything down there and it's all mailers and records I never listen to blocked off by flight cases. Now all the shelves are full and impossible to lift, but I think next time I move, I'd like to find something sturdy enough to put underneath and raise the shelves. Even with overflow sitting around, I still don't want to put anything in those bottom shelves.

Anyone have their Expedits raised? What do you use that doesn't buckle or break?

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts

STEADY AS A ROCK

i have one 4x4 expedit at my bedroom, and one 4x4 expedit in the "recordroom".. plus some shitty basic shelves i need to replace with a 2x4 expedit.

i keep records like that in front of the stacks i dont use so much.. it doesnt has to be RAERZZ.. just records with dope covers.. records that looks good! its like hangin up a picture dude..

i dont keep records like that in my bedroom, cause i use records from these shelves all the time.

peace,

f.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts

check this insanity:

http://www.rhythmism.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=34439&stc=1.jpg

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I've had not problems with my expedit sideways:

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    they're def sturdy enough on the side. probably sturdier than upright cause all that weight is distributed out more.