McCoy Tyner on Milestone. Your favorites?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
What the SS verdict on these records?

Comments

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I dig this one:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I really like Echoes of A Friend

But I do celebrate his entire catalogue

• this def my fav on milestone, i love the vocals

love samba and the title track are great on this one, azar lawrence come off like a straight up pharaoh sanders dick rider on it

anyone know if the passion dance lp is good?

This thread has prompted me to listen to (and enjoy) this one again:

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Really like Trident too great LP gonna dig that one out right now

• I generally prefer his blue note releases. Extensions being my favorite. Or at least it was last time I listened to it. Trident is the only one I actually own on Milestone, although I'm sure others are decent.

Man, now I've moved on to this one:

This could go on all night.

• What the SS verdict on these records?

I never got into them. I dig Bartz and other Milestone LPs tho.... go figure.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I dig this one:

I really like "Trident" too. Like someone else said, I like his Blue Note stuff better. Also, "Reaching Fourth" on Impulse is really good as well.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• i always dug on this:

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Atlantis is the only McCoy Tyner i have on Milestone and i am quite happy with it.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    I dig this one:

native song

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    this def my fav on milestone, i love the vocals

love samba and the title track are great on this one, azar lawrence come off like a straight up pharaoh sanders dick rider on it

anyone know if the passion dance lp is good?

I think I dropped the needle on the Passion Dance record and sold it the other day. Same with Inner Voices. Probably should have kept them longer. You're way ahead of me. I tend to listen chronologically and I'm around 1972 right now. A recent collection I found had an almost complete Tyner discography (up to ~1980). I already had all of the Impulse and Blue Note titles. I love those. I was listening to Live at Newport the other night. Clark Terry's opening solo on that LP is refuckingtarded. I digress.

I have gone into the Tyner Milestone records several times over the years and not really felt them. I have the same problem with Sonny Rollins' Milestone stuff. I don't think it's bad at all. Just not hooking me like the other stuff. It's so weird, because when you look at the personal on these records it's really impressive.

I'm listening to Supertrios right now.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I used to hate any jazz with strings, but over the years I've learned to appreciate these more. I guess I saw strings as historically a way to clean up (read: white up) the "dirtiness" of jazz. But when I found out Charlie Parker thought playing with strings was the highlight of his recording career, I turned a corner. Some really interesting arrangements on here: